2019 CX-5 Diesel

Wouldn't doubt if real word mpg will exceed epa estimates. I have a 14 audi q5 tdi w/ 3.0 V6 rated at 24/31 and I routinely get 28/38 with light/average driving habits w/ attainable driving range 700 miles on highway trips going 65-70 mph. It does have about 20 gallon tank though. Will be interesting to see how reviews pan out.

If its anything like that, and the $4K premium is mostly for show, my interest may be rekindled.

I've been surprised how often I've wanted to tow with my CX-5, a couple of stump grinder rentals, a riding mower, an assembled trampoline. Being able to average 30mpg in my real world driving is the dividing line between thinking of the thing as being efficient or not.

If its anything like that, and the $4K premium is mostly for show, my interest may be rekindled.

I've been surprised how often I've wanted to tow with my CX-5, a couple of stump grinder rentals, a riding mower, an assembled trampoline. Being able to average 30mpg in my real world driving is the dividing line between thinking of the thing as being efficient or not.

I dunno. My turbo is averaging 25.9 and climbing. Id need to see mid to upper 30s before I felt jelly

...and so will the Mazda diesel meet a similar fate. The CX5 diesel is DEAD/DOA in America. A complete botch on Mazda's part in timing, pricing and execution. Mazda was late with release, the pricing is ridiculously high, and the power vs mpg ratings are a joke. The gas version makes more power and gets better MPG.

To be fair, the EPA and Dieselgate played a role. Wasnt just Mazda sucking at hitting deadlines.

To be fair, the EPA and Dieselgate played a role. Wasnt just Mazda sucking at hitting deadlines.

Dieselgate began in Sep 2015. Mazda saw the writing on the wall. They should have pulled the US diesel instead of spending $$$ and trying to get it in US markets 4 years later.

The diesel version is a turd.

Dieselgate began in Sep 2015. Mazda saw the writing on the wall. They should have pulled the US diesel instead of spending $$$ and trying to get it in US markets 4 years later.

That*s a very mature comment. Well done.

Yeah, they had no problem pulling the plug on the "RX9". Bastards.

$5000CAD more than the Turbo, pushing $50000 Canadian in the lowest taxed province (Alberta). You got to be kidding me, they even know its ridiculous because they are offering 2yrs free maintenance and $300 worth of accessories as an incentive before its even out.

Yeah the price is stupid, probably be going off at fire sale numbers(at least relative to msrp) depending on how many they import by EOY/early 20 when almost none of them sell..already bought a car this year, will check it out but def not going to drop that kind of $ on it.

Test drove the diesel on Wednesday, its far from a turd. Overpriced, yes, but no turd.

I'm surprised by how much people complain about an additional engine option. Mazda isn't forcing you to buy the diesel. I don't think it will sell particularly well because its fuel economy numbers and power aren't justifying a $5k increase.

Enjoy the fact that the CX-5 now has 3 engine options.

Test drove the diesel on Wednesday, its far from a turd. Overpriced, yes, but no turd.

I'm surprised by how much people complain about an additional engine option. Mazda isn't forcing you to buy the diesel. I don't think it will sell particularly well because its fuel economy numbers and power aren't justifying a $5k increase.

Enjoy the fact that the CX-5 now has 3 engine options.

How does it compare to the turbo gas burner?

I'll take that one..its slower, heavier too...yes? I see a few inbound units so shouldn't be long but its just too little, too late, too much. If I were to throw down..saw a leftover '18 Stelvio Ti @36k- that's tempting- but even w/7 or 8k off its still not the smart $.

Last edited:
I'll take that one..its slower, heavier too...yes? I see a few inbound units so shouldn't be long but its just too little, too late, too much. If I were to throw down..saw a leftover '18 Stelvio Ti @36k- that's tempting- but even w/7 or 8k off its still not the smart $.
Probably break down around the corner from the dealer.

Theres a leftover 2018 Stelvio Ti near me. Down from $50 > $35k. It theyd take $30k it would be hard to resist.

How does it compare to the turbo gas burner?

I didn't try the turbo CX-5 but the turbo 6. Compared to the turbo 6, it feels slower with more lag. Compared to the regular CX-5 non-turbo, there's a lot more torque. Power feels like 80% of the turbo version.

I'm sure there are other people who have more experience with the different models.

Back