225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Unob...

In post #254, are you taking about the Continental Premium Contact 6 that I detailed, or do we have crossed wires? I have no idea why you mentioned tyres fitted as OEM in this context.

Your later reply (not sure to whom that was addressed) re the Conti Cross contact LX25 in the same 19* size was effusive in its praise, so again seems at odds with your reply to me??

The ContiPremium Contact 6*s I can get here look to have a uni-directional tread pattern as can be seen on this link, so do appear to be a different tyre to the LX25*s.

Our weather here doesnt include snow, so no doubt the tyre models here differ due to that and thus less emphasis on the All Season aspect. Its mid-winter now and today it was 20C but tonight will be terribly chilly as it will get down to 8C brrrrr haha!

We are more concerned with the asphalt melting in the sun during summer than the 1:100000000 chance of snow LOL!

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/continental/contipremium-contact-6?sku=co2255519cpc6v

We get a choice of 2 Continental tyres in the correct 225/55/19 sixe, the other is slightly less expensive:

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/continental/ultracontact-uc6-suv?sku=co2255519uc6suvv

Last edited:
A question about Milestar tires that I can't find addressed on this site at all: Amazon currently has their MS932 225/55R19 99V tire for $90 a pop (looking at <$500 for 4 of them installed), all with pretty good reviews from the limited amount I can find online.

Given they're not mentioned here at all, does anyone have experience using them?
Apparently theres no one here has tried Milestar MS932 225/55R19 99V tire. Milestar tires are manufactured by Nankang Rubber Tire Corporation and distributed in North America by TIRECO. While Nankang is a famous domestic tire manufacture in Taiwan, its international sales are going through local distributors.

For much cheaper 225/55R19 tires which are having very good reviews, theres Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire which is also available on Amazon. Between the two Im a little concerned about the lack of detailed specifications on Milestar MS932 225/55R19 99V tire.

Thanks to nice find and 8,000-mile mostly winter road condition ride experience by Badgerbass on Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire, I asked the rep if DT can get this tire even though I'd asked the same question before to a different rep and he said they can't. But this time he made some extra effort and found the source which DT can order Radar tires from, Omnisource. By going through Discount Tire ordering this tire, I can enjoy lifetime tire rotation*balancing*and puncture repair nation-wide, not to mention DT usually can match online price. Currently this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire sells for $84.44 each with free shipping at WalMart.com, which is less than half of the prices from most other tires with same size!

Another tire option for 19" wheels

attachment.php

View attachment 220669

Unob...

In post #254, are you taking about the Continental Premium Contact 6 that I detailed, or do we have crossed wires? I have no idea why you mentioned tyres fitted as OEM in this context.

Your later reply (not sure to whom that was addressed) re the Conti Cross contact LX25 in the same 19* size was effusive in its praise, so again seems at odds with your reply to me??

The ContiPremium Contact 6*s I can get here look to have a uni-directional tread pattern as can be seen on this link, so do appear to be a different tyre to the LX25*s.

Our weather here doesnt include snow, so no doubt the tyre models here differ due to that and thus less emphasis on the All Season aspect. Its mid-winter now and today it was 20C but tonight will be terribly chilly as it will get down to 8C brrrrr haha!

We are more concerned with the asphalt melting in the sun during summer than the 1:100000000 chance of snow LOL!

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/continental/contipremium-contact-6?sku=co2255519cpc6v

We get a choice of 2 Continental tyres in the correct 225/55/19 sixe, the other is slightly less expensive:

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/continental/ultracontact-uc6-suv?sku=co2255519uc6suvv

I must have gotten confused. I did more research and it looks like a pretty good tire:
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/premiumcontact6

I bought the Conti cross contract lx25's thanks to this thread and wanted to confirm that they are indeed awesome tires. Had them for almost a month now, and they are great wet or dry. Ice gotten up to my personal comfort limit and the tires were rock solid with no hint of being pushed too far. I have dedicated snow tires, so won't get a chance to push them in that situation.

I bought the Conti cross contract lx25's thanks to this thread and wanted to confirm that they are indeed awesome tires. Had them for almost a month now, and they are great wet or dry. Ice gotten up to my personal comfort limit and the tires were rock solid with no hint of being pushed too far. I have dedicated snow tires, so won't get a chance to push them in that situation.

I just put them on yesterday. I have only driven them in dry weather. So far my cornering speeds are up 10% over A36s, with no drama or loss of traction, where the A36s would start to slide 10% ago. Dunno where the limit is with these, but suffice to say they make a notable functional improvement in both feel and absolute limits.

Can you expound on how they do in cold weather? I'd like to know more about ice and snow, and what you've had before and how they compare etc.

It's not cold here yet, so can't expand there. I run Firestone Winterforce mounted to Mazdaspeed 3 rims in the winter, so probably won't get a good feeling for their snow/cold capability.

Getting following prices for tires I picked for my CX-5:

Yoko Geolandar G055 $618.75 + taxes (~685) - Mazda offer
Michelin - Premier LTX $828.92 + taxes (~$900) - Costco
Yoko YK740 GTX $849.00 + taxes (~$920) - DT
CONTI CROSSCONTACT LX25 $887 + taxes (~$960) - TR

Does it make sense to spend ~$220 to get GTX/LTX over G055?
My highest preference is safety, so best braking traction, and then handling and comfort. The OEM tires are at 4/32nd after 25.5k miles.

Getting following prices for tires I picked for my CX-5:

Yoko Geolandar G055 $618.75 + taxes (~685) - Mazda offer
Michelin - Premier LTX $828.92 + taxes (~$900) - Costco
Yoko YK740 GTX $849.00 + taxes (~$920) - DT
CONTI CROSSCONTACT LX25 $887 + taxes (~$960) - TR

Does it make sense to spend ~$220 to get GTX/LTX over G055?
My highest preference is safety, so best braking traction, and then handling and comfort. The OEM tires are at 4/32nd after 25.5k miles.

It depends on your driving conditions. Here's a Tire Rack test of the G055's vs. the LTX's. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=203 The G055's didn't do well in wet or snow. Don't know where you are but if you have much of rain or snow you might want to pass on the G055's.

It depends on your driving conditions. Here's a Tire Rack test of the G055's vs. the LTX's. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=203 The G055's didn't do well in wet or snow. Don't know where you are but if you have much of rain or snow you might want to pass on the G055's.

Thanks brillo54! I was also in confusion because to relatively lower rating for G055 and was thinking about LTX or GTX.

Also Tirerack shows BFG Advantage at top, any reviews/feedback on that? With UTQG: 700 B A (freak)?

szJVoQD.png

Last edited:
Thanks brillo54! I was also in confusion because to relatively lower rating for G055 and was thinking about LTX or GTX.

Also Tirerack shows BFG Advantage at top, any reviews/feedback on that? With UTQG: 700 B A (freak)?

szJVoQD.png

Tire recommendation

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX, but it has only 269K minimum reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 9.1M miles. And B rating on UTQG Traction Grades is poor and has shown in TireRacks tire test:

It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!

I have a 2016 AWD GT that has about 28,000miles. Im considering replacing the original toyo tires and purchasing the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife - 225/55R19 99V Tire. Anyone have any experience with this tire? Is it noisy?

Hi Tonysmommy444. Did you end up going with the Maxlife tires? My dealer has a promotion going on for them now and at 38,000 I'm down to 4/32 on the OEMs. Let me know what you decided and how you like whatever you bought!

I purchased the Maxlife tires (installed for ~$700 with 25% USAA discount at Goodyear) for a 2018 GT CX-5. They are smooth and quiet but feel vague on center. It's my wife's car and she's happy with them over the worn out Toyo OEM tires. 34,000 miles on the car, a recently purchased former Enterprise rental.

Got P7 plus for my 15'CX-5.

Too new to say anything concrete but the steering feels lighter and tires seem to be a bit of quieter than my old OEM Toyos.

According to Consumer Reports, Pirellis are quieter than most. I certainly agree with their assessment and measurements. They are a great tire and a god price.

According to Consumer Reports, Pirellis are quieter than most. I certainly agree with their assessment and measurements. They are a great tire and a god price.

While I agree that Pirelli makes a great tire be VERY sure that your tire dealer will warranty them as the sticker on the Pirelli tires that I have seen say that Pirelli will not warranty a tire that has a speed rating lower than that used as original equipment by the car manufacturer. In my case the OEM Toyo tires on my CX-5 GT are V rated, therefore going to a lower H rated Pirelli tire, for example may be an issue if it comes to having a warranty issue. On the other hand I asked my COSTCO tire rep about this and he said that all their warranty's are covered by COSTCO and NOT the manufacturer(Pirelli, Michelin, or Bridgestone), so buying a Pirelli from them would not be an issue.

I certainly understand their stance, as someone may be able to run lower speed-rated tires on a vehicle that can do 150 MPH but really, if your car cannot reach the H-rated max of 130 MPH or you know that you will never even try to reach that speed, it is a moot point when it comes to rational thinking.
Many years ago when I was working at Uniroyal World headquarters in Middlebury, CT, I would, on occasion, be walking down the hallway that passed by the tire-testing room when the tire would explode, making me jump from the sudden shock of hearing it. The tires being tested would always have a safety factor beyond the speed rating, so an S-rated tire (112 MPH?) would explode at 128 MPH or some higher number. This is true of almost any design, in part because not every monitoring instrument (like your speedometer) is extremely accurate. Another example is a compressor tank. Its maximum pressure rating has to have a built-in safety factor.

I certainly understand their stance, as someone may be able to run lower speed-rated tires on a vehicle that can do 150 MPH but really, if your car cannot reach the H-rated max of 130 MPH or you know that you will never even try to reach that speed, it is a moot point when it comes to rational thinking.
Many years ago when I was working at Uniroyal World headquarters in Middlebury, CT, I would, on occasion, be walking down the hallway that passed by the tire-testing room when the tire would explode, making me jump from the sudden shock of hearing it. The tires being tested would always have a safety factor beyond the speed rating, so an S-rated tire (112 MPH?) would explode at 128 MPH or some higher number. This is true of almost any design, in part because not every monitoring instrument (like your speedometer) is extremely accurate. Another example is a compressor tank. Its maximum pressure rating has to have a built-in safety factor.

I am certain that I, or most CX-5 drivers will never get their vehicles over 130 mph, even down hill, with a tailwind, BUT, if a CX-5 owner of a Pirelli ever has a non speed related tire issue it is this concern that they may come back to haunt them at their tire dealer should the dealer opt to follow Pirelli's recommendation of not using an H rated tire on a V rated vehicle(CX-5).

I am certain that I, or most CX-5 drivers will never get their vehicles over 130 mph, even down hill, with a tailwind, BUT, if a CX-5 owner of a Pirelli ever has a non speed related tire issue it is this concern that they may come back to haunt them at their tire dealer should the dealer opt to follow Pirelli's recommendation of not using an H rated tire on a V rated vehicle(CX-5).
OE 17” tires are H rated, 225/65R17100H. And the top speed is 120 mph for CX-5, well below H rated tire speed rating.

Back