2016+ Maintenance Mode for Rear Brake Pad Change

MLC LS1

:
2017 Mazda CX-9
Does anybody know how to put the car into maintenance mode for a rear brake pad change? I tried the procedure for the CX5 and it did not work. Who here has successfully put their 2nd gen CX9 in maintenance mode? If so, how did you do it?

The maintenance mode allows you to retract the piston back inside the caliper without damaging the caliper.

Does anybody know how to put the car into maintenance mode for a rear brake pad change? I tried the procedure for the CX5 and it did not work. Who here has successfully put their 2nd gen CX9 in maintenance mode? If so, how did you do it?

2016 - CX-9 - Brakes
MAINTENANCE MODE

NOTE:
* When in maintenance mode, the clearance between the disc pad and the disc plate expands.
* When the maintenance mode is completed, perform the electric parking brake automatic adjustment.
* With the electric parking brake automatic adjustment, the electric parking brake motor gear unit operation time is longer than normal.

Switching To Maintenance Mode

CAUTION: Perform the procedure while the vehicle is on the ground, block the front and rear wheels using wheel blocks. Otherwise, the vehicle may move when the electric parking brake is released.
Perform Steps 5, 6 within 5 seconds.
1. Release the electric parking brake.
2. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
3. Press and hold the electric parking brake switch.
4. Depress and hold the accelerator pedal fully.
5. Switch the ignition off.
6. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
7. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light is illuminated in an amber color and the mode is switched to maintenance mode.
8. Switch the ignition off.
Ending Maintenance Mode
Perform Steps 4, 5 within 5 seconds.
1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
2. Pull and hold the electric parking brake switch.
3. Depress and hold the accelerator pedal fully
4. Switch the ignition off .
5. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
6. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light turns off and the maintenance mode is ended.
7. Switch the ignition off.

2016 - CX-9 - Brakes
MAINTENANCE MODE

NOTE:
* When in maintenance mode, the clearance between the disc pad and the disc plate expands.
* When the maintenance mode is completed, perform the electric parking brake automatic adjustment.
* With the electric parking brake automatic adjustment, the electric parking brake motor gear unit operation time is longer than normal.

Switching To Maintenance Mode

CAUTION: Perform the procedure while the vehicle is on the ground, block the front and rear wheels using wheel blocks. Otherwise, the vehicle may move when the electric parking brake is released.
Perform Steps 5, 6 within 5 seconds.
1. Release the electric parking brake.
2. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
3. Press and hold the electric parking brake switch.
4. Depress and hold the accelerator pedal fully.
5. Switch the ignition off.
6. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
7. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light is illuminated in an amber color and the mode is switched to maintenance mode.
8. Switch the ignition off.
Ending Maintenance Mode
Perform Steps 4, 5 within 5 seconds.
1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
2. Pull and hold the electric parking brake switch.
3. Depress and hold the accelerator pedal fully
4. Switch the ignition off .
5. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
6. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light turns off and the maintenance mode is ended.
7. Switch the ignition off.

Thanks! It worked...but now my cars computer system is not happy. The brakes work properly and the e brake grabs...but the system throws dash lights when I use the e-brake. When I don*t use the e brake everything seems happy. I spun the pistons maybe I broke something in the caliper? I am going to retry the maintenance mode procedure and reset the pistons later.

Last edited:
After maintenance mode, push the Piston back, not spin

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I suppose I made the piston spin out of the threaded shaft further than the computer thinks it has spun. Fingers crossed! New Mazda calipers are $200 a piece.

Mike

So my wifes 2016 cx9 has a nice squealing rear brake. Probably just going to change the rear pads and rotors out with something better. My question is in the Maintenance mode it says to perform the electric parking brake automatic adjustment. But there is no procedure for that. Anybody know what is involved with that.

So my wifes 2016 cx9 has a nice squealing rear brake. Probably just going to change the rear pads and rotors out with something better. My question is in the Maintenance mode it says to perform the electric parking brake automatic adjustment. But there is no procedure for that. Anybody know what is involved with that.

I'm curious about this too. I want to swap in a full set of high performance pads. Not too happy with the stock brake pads.

I just changed the rear pads on my '17 CX-9 Signature. Very easy.
It took me about an hour to do both sides. I used non-OEM brake pads. The original pads lasted a bit over 35k miles only. Disappointing.

I followed this procedure that i found on a Mazda 6 forum. It worked great. I pushed the piston IN, WITHOUT rotating it. Just push it in.

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

* I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up. You are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

I just changed the rear pads on my '17 CX-9 Signature. Very easy.
It took me about an hour to do both sides. I used non-OEM brake pads. The original pads lasted a bit over 35k miles only. Disappointing.

I followed this procedure that i found on a Mazda 6 forum. It worked great. I pushed the piston IN, WITHOUT rotating it. Just push it in.

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

* I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up. You are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

Thanks for this!

MLC I think what your missing is you have to take the electric motor off then with an XT38 kind of Allen head unscrew the piston until it stops then you can push the piston in easily

When I did my rear brakes last month I did not remove the electric motor. Just put system in maintenance mode. Remove calipers, push in piston inverted hand clamp. Reinstall caliper and new pads. Remove from maintenance mode. Simple, took about 45 minutes for the rears. My OEM's lasted about 38K miles.

I did not know about MX mode, and changed my rear pads like I did on my 13 cx-5. I turned the piston in a little bit, then pushed compressed the piston. The parking brake works fine. But my first couple of presses on the pedal, I get this weird winding down noise. Did I damage the EPB?

I did not know about MX mode, and changed my rear pads like I did on my 13 cx-5. I turned the piston in a little bit, then pushed compressed the piston. The parking brake works fine. But my first couple of presses on the pedal, I get this weird winding down noise. Did I damage the EPB?

i would say you just forgot to pump the brakes after finishing the installation. So when done you are suppose to turn the car on without depressing the brake pedal then pull thee brake listen for it to adjust then release it and press the brakeThen pull the enrage again and your pistons should be set. Basically you had no piston contact on the pads so your rear brakes wear not working but now they should be adjusted just not the safest way to do it lol glad you didn’t have an accident

I flushed the whole system after install braking is better than it was before. I just dont know whats causing that winding down noise. the sound disappears once the brakes are warm. I always take my cars out for a test drive after any MX. had to many suprises while upgrading the old MSM.

So it sounds like my 2016 CX-9 beats the records - only 26K and the rear Inner pad is almost grinded to the base metal; The inner side of the disk is super uneven. However, the outer pad and brake disk look normal and the pad is still about 3/8; Front brakes are still very good. I am shocked with this poor performance. We are the first owners, and it is driven 90% by a woman, about 6K every year;
Ordered new rear Disks and pads($117);

My question is: Do I need to put it in Maintenance mode before pushing the cylinder back? Or what could be the consequences not doing it? Just asking.
Thank you!

Back