Mazda Popularity

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Apropos of nothing really but I've seen some posts or questions asking why Mazda doesn't sell more cars. Just thought I'd mention that here in Colombia in 2018 the Mazda CX-5 ranked number 12 in sales of individual car models and the brand Mazda was number four behind GM, Renault and Nissan. Cheers.

I'm starting to see a lot more CX-5's in my area. There's about 8-10 in my development out of 170 homes. There's probably three times that many CR-V's though.

Never cared. The average person has an IQ of 100. Half of em are dumber than that. "Popular" means nothing to me.

Never cared. The average person has an IQ of 100. Half of em are dumber than that. "Popular" means nothing to me.

That's cool. I'm also way too smart to care about the car I drive and have posted nearly 8000 times about in under 5 years. It's because of the the average person being so stupid compared to meeee.

Lowfive.jpg

Lol, Hey hey hey!! (flash) Easy there buddy!

Keep that up and I'll post a reply about how I'm too cool to post a reply.

Whoa there.

Yeah I don't know. I'm not really a fan of the direction Mazda has been going in personally (I think that CX-30 and MX-30 are ugly). As for why you don't see as many, the average person doesn't know much about cars so they buy a Toyota or a Honda. The person looking for the cheaper car go for a Nissan or a Kia. Meanwhile Mazda is trying to be "upmarket" now, and I don't know, maybe in my eyes that's not as big of a market.

And then they've completely abandoned Mazdaspeed and their sports cars, etc.

So I don't know. In my eyes, Mazda is struggling with identity, their marketing here in NA sucks and exacerbates that problem, and they also just don't have good dealer presence in a lot of areas.

Whoa there.

Yeah I don't know. I'm not really a fan of the direction Mazda has been going in personally (I think that CX-30 and MX-30 are ugly). As for why you don't see as many, the average person doesn't know much about cars so they buy a Toyota or a Honda. The person looking for the cheaper car go for a Nissan or a Kia. Meanwhile Mazda is trying to be "upmarket" now, and I don't know, maybe in my eyes that's not as big of a market.

So I don't know. In my eyes, Mazda is struggling with identity, their marketing here in NA sucks and exacerbates that problem, and they also just don't have good dealer presence in a lot of areas.

I agree. Guess we'll see if anything improves now that they're entered into an alliance with Toyota.

Whoa there.

Pretty much nailed it.

That's cool. I'm also way too smart to care about the car I drive and have posted nearly 8000 times about in under 5 years. It's because of the the average person being so stupid compared to meeee.

Lowfive.jpg

I never opined on MY intelligence, or lack.
Also, I happen to like my CX5 turbo.
Again, still not really one to give a damn if OTHERS like my CX5 turbo.

Whoa there.

They're trotting out the "RX9 soon!" thing again...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mazda-rx9-rotary-sports-car-patent-application/

Mazda is not doing well in USA, but it is doing OK in many other countries.
Don't worry about Mazda going belly up. Not happening soon.

I happen to like Mazda's new marketing positioning, which is one notch above Honda and Toyota.
Every co-worker who sat in my Mazda6 was impressed. They never considered Mazda before.
I recommended Mazda to two co-workers, who had Honda/Toyota on their shopping list. They both brought back Mazda at the end of shopping. Overall, a better package, they said. Especially, CX5 against competition.

Last edited:
In my eyes, Mazda is struggling with identity, their marketing here in NA sucks and exacerbates that problem, and they also just don't have good dealer presence in a lot of areas.

Marketing creates the need, sales satisfies it. Mazda does neither of those in NA.

Every co-worker who sat in my Mazda6 was impressed. They never considered Mazda before.

Crazy, isn't it? So many people (like me) who never considered the brand in the first place walk out of the showroom knowing we could not consider anything else. All Mazda has to do is get people in the showroom in the first place, and it seems that they make no effort to.

Last edited:
Marketing creates the need, sales satisfies it. Mazda does neither of those in NA.

Crazy, isn't it? So many people (like me) who never considered the brand in the first place walk out of the showroom knowing we could not consider anything else. All Mazda has to do is get people in the showroom in the first place, and it seems that they make no effort to.

Look at all these people doing a terrible job:

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pr...ond-installment-of-feel-alive-brand-campaign/

Mazda, if you're looking to cut costs, look no further.

Look at all these people doing a terrible job:

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pr...ond-installment-of-feel-alive-brand-campaign/

Mazda, if you're looking to cut costs, look no further.

New FEEL ALIVE campaign will debut during NCAA Championship game through 60-second launch film, *Dream Bigger*

I rarely see a Mazda commercial air during a non-sports program, and it's usually one that has got to be high dollar (like this NCAA championship game, golf tournaments, etc). As I've said before, to me these "touchy-feely" commercials come after you've established a sales stream, and aren't suitable for laying the foundation.

So many people (like me) who never considered the brand in the first place walk out of the showroom knowing we could not consider anything else. All Mazda has to do is get people in the showroom in the first place, and it seems that they make no effort to.

And THAT folks is the entire crux of Mazda's problem.
Read any reviews on any site from Honda or Toyota owners, and not one of them will mention that they cross shopped a Mazda.
Honda CR-V owners will tell you they looked at Rav4's, and maybe a Subaru, but that's it.
Rav4 owners say the same thing. They looked at a CR-V, but nothing else. No mention, ever, of any of them having looked at a Mazda.
However, you don't have to go far to see CX-5 owners who were shopping Honda and Toyota, and for whatever reason, decided to check out Mazda.
And Bingo, the Mazda wins.

Mazda needs to get off it's collective ass and focus all their attention on getting people into the showroom.
Offer some sort of incentive to walk in the door. Hell, how about a free set of dishes for test driving a CX-5? Something....anything.
The cars will sell themselves, if only Mazda could convince or entice people to check them out.
There's not a soul out there that's contemplating buying a CR-V or Rav4 etc., that will be inspired to go to a Mazda dealer, given the current advertising program.
It sucks.

However, you don't have to go far to see CX-5 owners who were shopping Honda and Toyota, and for whatever reason, decided to check out Mazda.
And Bingo, the Mazda wins.

I've said this before: I was shopping for a used CR-V or RAV-4, and there happened to be a Mazda dealer next door to Carmax, so I went in. Once I got behind the wheel of the CX-5, there was no way I has going to be happy with either the Honda or the Toyota, new or used. But Mazda didn't get me in the showroom.

Apropos of nothing really but I've seen some posts or questions asking why Mazda doesn't sell more cars. Just thought I'd mention that here in Colombia in 2018 the Mazda CX-5 ranked number 12 in sales of individual car models and the brand Mazda was number four behind GM, Renault and Nissan. Cheers.

In the US, Mazda is like that hot chick (or dude) that you can have fun with and not spend a ton of cash taking out. Looks stunning in red dress, may have stood you up in the past, may have cheated on you. Problem is people don't see said date as family type.

Fast forward to today, said hot person now has a Bachelor's degree and is ready to settle down. Even is dressing up more business-like now. Easier to live with and is willing to start a family. You won't know it until you go back on a date all these years later.

I came over to Mazda because one of my daughters had a Mazda 3 which I thought had a really nice interior and I always enjoyed driving it. I previously had a RAV 4 Limited with the V6 which I had good luck with for 12 years, I had been researching the CX5 for a few years and when the word got out that a Turbo was coming I decided to hold out for it. Drove the Turbo and Non Turbo and probably would of been satisfied with the non but opted for the Reserve, the real selling point to me was the interior as I was also looking at a Lexus but the Mazda seemed like a much better value.

In the US, Mazda is like that hot chick (or dude) that you can have fun with and not spend a ton of cash taking out. Looks stunning in red dress, may have stood you up in the past, may have cheated on you. Problem is people don't see said date as family type.

Fast forward to today, said hot person now has a Bachelor's degree and is ready to settle down. Even is dressing up more business-like now. Easier to live with and is willing to start a family. You won't know it until you go back on a date all these years later.

Lol, this is a funny analogy, but it's also quite accurate. Soon to come - mid-life crisis aka the return of the Speed (naughty)

Back