2016.5 GT: Rear cross traffic alert trouble

RWatters

:
16.5 CX-5 GT
I'm wanting to make sure I either have a problem or I don't. The rear cross traffic alert in our CX-5 hardly works. If you are stationary and a car comes into the view of the camera most of the time it will alert it. If a vehicle already in the camera view starts moving it doesn't alert us. If we start moving and a vehicle starts moving, it doesn't alert us. It doesn't see people. Basically the damn thing is useless as it has a very specific window of operation that doesn't really go with daily life.

Is this the case with your CX-5's as well or is ours having trouble? I'm not sure what trouble it would have as we keep the CX-5/camera clean and the rear view camera function itself seems to be fine.

Thanks in advance.

I'm wanting to make sure I either have a problem or I don't. The rear cross traffic alert in our CX-5 hardly works. If you are stationary and a car comes into the view of the camera most of the time it will alert it. If a vehicle already in the camera view starts moving it doesn't alert us. If we start moving and a vehicle starts moving, it doesn't alert us. It doesn't see people. Basically the damn thing is useless as it has a very specific window of operation that doesn't really go with daily life.

Is this the case with your CX-5's as well or is ours having trouble? I'm not sure what trouble it would have as we keep the CX-5/camera clean and the rear view camera function itself seems to be fine.

Thanks in advance.

doesn't sound like it's working right, mine alerts with cars coming down the street or parking lot stalls maybe 3 or 4 car lengths away and no where near the camera view yet.

just the other day it saved my a$$ when backing out of drive way and I didn't see a lady walking a dog coming from the passenger side, it started alerting that someone was there,

Mine doesn't go off if something is there in the back already and starts to move slowly, I think for that you need to install the optional back up sensor warning that the dealers install, it's like $500.

I agree, doesn't sound like its working as designed. Further, it uses sensors in the rear bumper to detect the moving objects, not the camera.

I may agree on pedestrians but it sees cars waaay before i do. Not sure on pedestrians - probably have to test it on some guinea pigs.
Btw - saw a video in some Volvo dealership on pedestrian collision - it just ploughed through that poor guy lol.

The Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) system is designed only to "assist" the driver in checking both rear sides while our CX-5 is backing out. It's a part of Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) system and uses the same radar sensors located at the rear corners inside of bumper plastic. It does have its limitations as you've noticed. Like our SCBS, it can't recognize people. It works the best while you're backing out of the parking space and the view is blocked by vehicles on both sides. The "vision" is from two rear corner radar sensors, not from your back-up camera. Those radars can't "see" anything blocked by other things, and can't detect the vehicle directly behind you, as the radars are angled, even though you can see it in the rearview mirror and backup camera!

⋯ Btw - saw a video in some Volvo dealership on pedestrian collision - it just ploughed through that poor guy lol.
Yeah that video showing the failure of Volvo's automatic brake system was happened 2 years ago in Dominican Republic. According to Volvo, that XC60 has standard "City Safety" system similar to our SCBS, but doesn't have optional "Pedestrian Detection" feature. So it seems the fault is on those people themselves. Our SCBS will do the same.

Thanks in advance.

If your blind spot monitoring in the outside rear view mirror is working OK then it is probably OK as it uses the same sensors...

Last edited:
If your blind spot monitoring in the outside rear view cameras is working OK then it is probably OK as it uses the same sensors...
You meant outside rear view mirrors I suppose? Side view camera feature on CX-5 is available but not offered in NA market.

The Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) system is designed only to "assist" the driver in checking both rear sides while our CX-5 is backing out. It's a part of Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) system and uses the same radar sensors located at the rear corners inside of bumper plastic. It does have its limitations as you've noticed. Like our SCBS, it can't recognize people. It works the best while you're backing out of the parking space and the view is blocked by vehicles on both sides. The "vision" is from two rear corner radar sensors, not from your back-up camera. Those radars can't "see" anything blocked by other things, and can't detect the vehicle directly behind you, as the radars are angled, even though you can see it in the rearview mirror and backup camera!
Maybe it's not supposed to but on occasion while backing up in a parking lot mine set off an alarm because of some one walking by behind me.

Back