Anyone lose one of these?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Over the years I've noticed a few posters wondering where they could get a good price on one or the other black plastic wheel arch molding.
wheelarchtrim.JPG So I was coming home from SoCal early the other morning on Hwy 5 and the right rear molding clips decided to let loose allowing the molding to come halfway off and slap up against the rear bumper for a half mile or so until I would pull off the road and cut the offending piece off with my trusty Swiss army knife. Now I'm wondering if I'm the only one this has happened to or were some of those previous posts the result of the same failure. Anyone else had this happen? I have no idea what could have triggered it other than fatigue of the trim clips.(uhm)

No issue with our 2014. Maybe a clip was missing from the factory and the wind rushing over it at driving speed finally loosened it enough to pop it loose? Automatic car wash? I had the front roof rack clip ripped off going through one before.

this would've been an easy fix by buying replacement clips from the dealer... since you "cut the offending piece off", it just got pretty expensive (rolleyes)

this would've been an easy fix by buying replacement clips from the dealer... since you "cut the offending piece off", it just got pretty expensive (rolleyes)
After being bent in two and banging against the rear of the car (fortunately causing no other damage!) for half mile or more, I knew it wasn't going to be fit for re-use. I found one online for $59 all in and it's easy enough to change myself.

Huge chunk of concrete blew the rear arch loose. Broke some of the attachment interface. Dealer replaced it for like $120 or something including labor. I was pretty pleased with that.

⋯ I have no idea what could have triggered it other than fatigue of the trim clips.(uhm)
While I was installing OEM splash guards and changing oil, I noticed those "reuseable" plastic trim clips or "pull-rivet" on CX-5 are very loose and too easy to pop out. I was worried these trim clips are prone to get loose by themselves. When I was dealing with plastic trim clips with different design on my other vehicles especially VW and BMW, they are tight and hard to remove. Many times I literally have to break them and use new clips!

I knocked off that piece and had to replace it due to the resultant stress crazing where it bent. I think I hit a beer can or something. I was surprised that the whole thing popped loose.

When I removed the remaining rear portion of the molding, I had a helluva time getting the clips to release and they appear to be a different design than the front half dozen or so that came loose on their own. Probably a good idea to check the other three moldings (especially the rear) to make sure they're not about to do the same. I could have run over a small object that precipitated the event, but I sure wasn't aware of it. All hell just suddenly let loose on the rear quarter panel and I immediately noticed the molding flapping in the wind in my rear view mirror.

Back