Anyone have trouble deciding between the CX-5 and CX-9?

I've been trying to decide between the 2. Having a 3rd row would be nice but its not necessary, the main reason we looked at the cx9 was for larger cargo space behind the 2nd row but its not that much of a difference between the cx5 and cx9 behind the 2nd row. Is it? We are comparing the touring on both and its about a 7,000-8,000 difference.

Anyone have a trailer hitch on their CX5 with a flat tray attachment for more storage if needed for long trips?

We think we are down to the CX5 and CX9 after looking at everything. Rav4 too loud, didn't care for the gas pedal feel of the CRV, new Santa fe didnt like the tranny, We looked at the telluride but are wary of kia and a brand new vehicle, looked at the honda passport but it doesn't get great passenger safety ratings, looked at the VW tiguan and it was nice but VW reliability is meh, also the atlas same reasoning. Subaru Forester Sport was nice but I don't think I want another CVT after having a Nissan CVT that was crap and wife has a subaru legacy thats actually awesome with their CVT.

Some things to consider. How big is your family? Young kids or older? What kind of activities do you do?

Young kids get bigger and so does the stuff they bring. Long vacations on the road might give the advantage to the CX9.

The cargo space is larger on the 9. No doubt on that. The specs will show that.

We were in the same situation and we decided for the cx-5. Pretty much the cx 9 was too big for our needs. If you have kids i would recommend the bigger car always but with no kids and no plans to have kids in the near future we couldn*t justify the bigger car. Same engine but better use in the cx5 with the turbo. $8k is a big difference.
2nd row was definitely roomier in the cx9 if you plan on having passengers there.

I've been trying to decide between the 2. Having a 3rd row would be nice but its not necessary, the main reason we looked at the cx9 was for larger cargo space behind the 2nd row but its not that much of a difference between the cx5 and cx9 behind the 2nd row. Is it? We are comparing the touring on both and its about a 7,000-8,000 difference.

Anyone have a trailer hitch on their CX5 with a flat tray attachment for more storage if needed for long trips?

We think we are down to the CX5 and CX9 after looking at everything. Rav4 too loud, didn't care for the gas pedal feel of the CRV, new Santa fe didnt like the tranny, We looked at the telluride but are wary of kia and a brand new vehicle, looked at the honda passport but it doesn't get great passenger safety ratings, looked at the VW tiguan and it was nice but VW reliability is meh, also the atlas same reasoning. Subaru Forester Sport was nice but I don't think I want another CVT after having a Nissan CVT that was crap and wife has a subaru legacy thats actually awesome with their CVT.

No issues. The CX9 is 500# heavier with the same engine and transmission, so if you need the space, it's a no-brainer, same if you don't.

Have you considered the Subaru Outback? It would be closer to your wifes Legacy than the Forester.

We chose the CX-9 for the space. We do multiple camping trips every year (plus trips to NJ from WI) and we can fit everything we need with the 3rd row folded. The 3rd row was just a bonus for us, nice to have it when needed.

We drove two 9s and then a 5. While a 5 is peppy, the comfortable ride and similar pep in a cx-9 grand touring made the 5 we test drove feel like a go-cart.

While a 5 is peppy, the comfortable ride and similar pep in a cx-9 grand touring made the 5 we test drove feel like a go-cart.

And see, that's one particular reason why I individually prefer the CX-5! :D

I went to my dealer with a 90% assumption I'd get another CX-5, but researched ahead of time and test drove the CX-9 Signature as well. Beautifully appointed, with good pep, and a nice appearance, but the extra passenger and cargo space for my own needs would be a waste. There would also be some garage fitment issues in terms of length and how our garage is already arranged with storage cabinets in the front. The overwhelming majority of my needs (one of two household members with the very occasional need to drive 2 or 3 family or friends, occasional driving trips just for us two plus luggage/camping gear) are met by the CX-5's sizing/space. And as nice as the CX-9 is, I couldn't shake my personal feeling it is a "family vehicle", or at least meant for someone who might be often carrying multiple passengers. That ain't me. And to my original point here, I preferred the more spirited (relatively, of course--we aren't talking Miata or MZD3-like) feel of the CX-5 in the vein of the classic Zoom Zoom....while purposefully dampened to provide a cushier experience, it still exists in the Signature CX-5 to a greater degree than the CX-9.

Individual needs and driving/sizing preferences is why of course MZD offers the CX-3, 5 & 9. Still unsure exactly how the CX-30 fits into that schema, but that's another topic entirely.

Last edited:
Since you're comparing the Touring trim on both, I thought I'd note that the heavier CX-9 is still about 0.5s faster in the 0-60 due to the 2.5T engine. The CX-5 Touring has the naturally aspirated 2.5 engine. The CX-5 is definitely more nimble around the corners of course, but the CX-9 is no slouch either. Towing advantage goes to the CX-9, but that's only if you actually tow anything like a camper or a boat. Both can use the trailer hitch for a flat tray. One of the CX-9 owners has one I believe, and I can't think of any reason why you couldn't do the same on the CX-5.

With long-term reliability being a concern, it's fair to consider the NA 2.5 over the 2.5T. While the 2.5T has been pretty reliable so far, the turbo is just one more thing that might need replacement down the road. Both cars use the same 6-speed transmission, which is excellent.

I went with a CX-9 mostly because I like the proportions of the CX-9 better. Having a 3rd row has been a really nice bonus. I use it more often than I thought I ever would.

Last edited:
The CX-9 is 199 inches long vs 179 for CX-5. We do have a high ceiling garage but its standard length. Not sure it fits with adequate space. I've got tool boxes in front of the cars.

Since you're comparing the Touring trim on both, I thought I'd note that the heavier CX-9 is still about 0.5s faster in the 0-60 due to the 2.5T engine. The CX-5 Touring has the naturally aspirated 2.5 engine. The CX-5 is definitely more nimble around the corners of course, but the CX-9 is no slouch either. Towing advantage goes to the CX-9, but that's only if you actually tow anything like a camper or a boat. Both can use the trailer hitch for a flat tray. One of the CX-9 owners has one I believe, and I can't think of any reason why you couldn't do the same on the CX-5.

With long-term reliability being a concern, it's fair to consider the NA 2.5 over the 2.5T. While the 2.5T has been pretty reliable so far, the turbo is just one more thing that might need replacement down the road. Both cars use the same 6-speed transmission, which is excellent.

I went with a CX-9 mostly because I like the proportions of the CX-9 better. Having a 3rd row has been a really nice bonus. I use it more often than I thought I ever would.

Per this forum, the turbo is good for at least 150K miles before you even need to think about it.

The CX-9 is 199 inches long vs 179 for CX-5. We do have a high ceiling garage but its standard length. Not sure it fits with adequate space. I've got tool boxes in front of the cars.

See we are the opposite lol Our house is a 2 car side by side garage with the one bay of the garage being almost a 2 car on its on in length but the garage door on that side is low since its a pull up garage door so it slouches back once opened so the opening height is a concern. The CX9 is one of the lowest 3 row options so its almost our only choice really lol.

Plenty of options out there to facilitate extra cargo space without having to get a larger car. Depends how often you would need to utilize the extra space in the CX-9 otherwise just get a roof pod and save yourself a few thousand.

Back