Weird occurence with door lock

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Once in awhile for the last few months I've noticed something weird with the locking. Usually when I exit the vehicle I'll push the drivers door lock manually, step out and shut the door. When I return as press the little black plunger I'll hear the unlock tone and the door will unlock. About every tenth time or so I'll push the plunger and hear the single lock tone. The door locked. I've been writing it off to I forgot to lock it when I exited, but deep down I know that hasn't been the case.

This morning I stopped for gas, locked it the same way I normally do, paid extra attention to make sure I locked it. After pumping gas I pressed the plunger and it locked. Somewhere in the five minutes the car unlocked the driver's door.

Anybody have any ideas?

Try changing your routine and just use the black button outside for locking-unlocking.

Generally electronic gadgets like a routine. If you did anything different on those times the door didnt lock, that may be key.

Try changing your routine and just use the black button outside for locking-unlocking.

Generally electronic gadgets like a routine. If you did anything different on those times the door didn*t lock, that may be key.

I always do one of two things. Either manually lock the drivers door if I'm the only one in the car. If I have passengers I use the power lock on the drivers armrest that locks all the doors. I never use the plunger lock or the fob.

Why would you not use the fob?
I never lock or unlock my car(s) with anything other than the fob.
That way I know I always have it in my hands, and I will never accidentally lock my keys/fob in the car.

That way I know I always have it in my hands, and I will never accidentally lock my keys/fob in the car.

#1 - You can't lock your keys in the car
#2 - why waste the FOB battery when the button is 12 inches from your left hand.

Normally the fob is in one's pocket or purse and in order to lock the car you'll have to dig it out. Pressing one of the door buttons to lock 'er up is much easier.

Here's a strange behavior with the locks that is repeatable.

Normally my wife has her keys in her purse, if she's with me and leaves her purse in the car when we exit and I lock up with the inside button (all doors lock at this point) all doors will unlock when I close the driver's door and the car beeps 7 times. If instead of using the inside button to lock up I use the outside button, the car still beeps 7 times but the doors will lock. I've never tried the fob under those conditions so I can't comment on that.

For the life of me I can't understand why Mazda would use this design. Anyone?

Yes I leave key fob in my pocket all the time and never bother to take it out. I use *Auto Walk-away Lock* and let the doors lock by themselves. But I do pay attention to the beeps making sure the doors are actually locked as this function works only 9 out of 10 times. Those software *glitches* or *bugs* are hard to fix and most of time we can only live with them. :)

Not every CX-5 has the door handle buttons.
Not on Sport and I believe it is an option on some older Tourings.
And you do not need to take the fob out of your pocket. It works through your pants.
Well, my pants at least.

My CX5 2014, If I manually set the locks from inside then the alarm is NOT set but, if I use the fob, the alarm is set. Ed

Normally the fob is in one's pocket or purse and in order to lock the car you'll have to dig it out. Pressing one of the door buttons to lock 'er up is much easier.

Here's a strange behavior with the locks that is repeatable.

Normally my wife has her keys in her purse, if she's with me and leaves her purse in the car when we exit and I lock up with the inside button (all doors lock at this point) all doors will unlock when I close the driver's door and the car beeps 7 times. If instead of using the inside button to lock up I use the outside button, the car still beeps 7 times but the doors will lock. I've never tried the fob under those conditions so I can't comment on that.

For the life of me I can't understand why Mazda would use this design. Anyone?

We had the same thing happen last night. My wife and I were exiting her car in our garage, my CX-5 is parked next to hers. All of a sudden the CX-5 starting beeping like crazy, about 7 beeps. Don't know what she did. All I did was open my passenger door (all doors were unlocked) and put my sunglasses in. My fob was in my pocket. Don't know if she hit something on the other fob that's on her keyring. Strange.

That's the signal that it is unable to lock. Someone sent a lock command and the car said no

#1 - You can't lock your keys in the car
#2 - why waste the FOB battery when the button is 12 inches from your left hand.

#1....depends on the car. I have an older vehicle with a fob and a key. You need the key to start the car. I can definitely lock my fob and key in that car. Hence, I use my fob to lock it.
My Mazda however is a push button start, and although I haven't tried to purposely lock the fob in the car, I'm not about to try it.

#2...You're worried about wasting the battery in the fob? Really? The batteries in my fobs last for years, and they are cheap and simple to replace.
A buck fifty every few years is not exactly a problem.
Secondly, the newer fobs are constantly transmitting anyway, whether you push a button or not, so not using it to unlock or lock your doors won't make a difference to battery life.
Lastly, as someone else has mentioned, not all Mazda's have a button in the door handle. Depends on the year and trim level.

Anyone just use the "walk-away" lock feature on the GTs?
Been using it since day one on this car and so far no issue encountered.

Yep, I do. Works perfectly so long as you pause to hear the initial beep before walking away.

Yep all the time, though it doesn't always seem to lock. I haven quite figured out the circumstances when it doesn't but I sense it may have to do with what door may have been closed last - back or hatch. Though I have it set to lock when I walk away, I've taken to locking with the fob nonetheless.

Too bad there's no feature that let's you know it locked. (Hmm)

Back