First maintenance service

They have not done anything.
I would sue if they car washed without permission.

LOL! Yes, they always ask. I say Yes because it is a touchless wash, and a hand vacuum.

At my last service (30k) They also performed an SRS Airbag system computer flash recall, rotated tires, set tires to my desired PSI, filled my empty washer fluid, changed both my cabin air filter and my engine air filter. (however I had the Mazda maintenance plan included with my lease payment).

Last edited:
Firstly, go to your "Vehicle Status Monitor" under “Applications” in your infotainment screen and select "Maintenance” to display the maintenance list. Check if you have "Flexible" setting under "Oil Change" which is supposed to be the default from factory. You can use the miles left on your oil life as a guideline for your first oil change. Follow the "Flexible" oil change interval which is up to 7,500 miles (10,000 miles for 2016(.5) CX-5) or 12 months whichever comes first. You can take your CX-5 in based on "Oil chang due" message with a wrench indicator from your "Flexible" oil change monitor, or do it early before the message displayed as your like. I'd keep the moly-rich factory oil in there for at least 5,000 miles within a year and do the first oil change.

Make sure to reset your "Flexible" oil change monitor with ignition on without engine running. Most Mazda dealers won't do this for you as many don't even aware this feature. If you see 7,500-mile oil life, it's been reset!

Be aware those "free" oil change offered by dealers. They'll use the cheapest bulk oil they can find. So do ask and see if you can have better options such as Mazda 0W-20 moly oil which is only $10 more from my Mazda dealer for oil change. The only goog thing doing the oil change at dealers is they "normally" would use OEM oil filter with new drain plug washer.

Absolutely on point. The dealer should be responsible to change your oil based on the service indicator. I was fortunate to get free Castrol life time oil changes and they are suppose to be using Castrol oil per the $20 dollar check I receive in the mail and give them. If they are cheating me with substandard oil that would be a nice class action suite!

If as the sender states that he is NOT car savvy then, he doesn't want to practice on the first oil change. Just suck-it-up and take his new CX5 to the dealer. The first service is a general inspection for leaks etc. Ed

Last edited:
What does touchless mean (apart from not touching it!).

It washes the car without the spinning mits via high pressure washers and several passes instead.

True, touch will actually clean the finer stuff that the touchless leaves (just look at your dirty windshield after a touchless wash, chances are you will still see the wiper line), however touch wash should be done properly by hand. There's a reason they call the automatic touch washes swirl-o-matics (swirl marks and scratches galore!) My car is scratched to hell from using those kinds of washes earlier in the car's life. :(

I use a touchless wash every two weeks, so my CX-5 is rarely "dirty". After a lot of highway driving I'll spray some Gyeon bug remover on the front fascia and mirrors to soften the splattered bugs about five minutes before running through the touchless wash. A big plus of the touchless for me is the drying blower, as it dramatically cuts down on the amount of chamois-ing I have to do afterwards.

It washes the car without the spinning mits via high pressure washers and several passes instead.

True, touch will actually clean the finer stuff that the touchless leaves (just look at your dirty windshield after a touchless wash, chances are you will still see the wiper line), however touch wash should be done properly by hand. There's a reason they call the automatic touch washes swirl-o-matics (swirl marks and scratches galore!) My car is scratched to hell from using those kinds of washes earlier in the car's life. :(

Ah, OK. Not seen one of those here but I do have a pressure washer. It won*t clear heavy dirt, it leaves a murky haze.

Ah, OK. Not seen one of those here but I do have a pressure washer. It won*t clear heavy dirt, it leaves a murky haze.
Same thing with the touchless automatic washes too. Touch will always work better to clean the car, but only when done properly by hand. Automatic touch car washes (rotating mits) are just a recipe for scratching and swirl marks.

If as the sender states that he is NOT car savvy then, he doesn't want to practice on the first oil change. Just suck-it-up and take his new CX5 to the dealer. The first service is a general inspection for leaks etc. Ed
Exactly. However, my dealer is far away from me and I would rather not take it there. That's why I wanted to find a mechanic in my city.

Exactly. However, my dealer is far away from me and I would rather not take it there. That's why I wanted to find a mechanic in my city.

Well, just ask whatever shops you find what oil filter they would use for your CX-5, and what oil.

Oh, what the hell. I bit the bullet and made an appointment for tomorrow with my dealer. We'll see how that goes. Still, I would like to find a local shop and start developing a relationship with a local mechanic.

Oh, what the hell. I bit the bullet and made an appointment for tomorrow with my dealer. We'll see how that goes. Still, I would like to find a local shop and start developing a relationship with a local mechanic.
What does your "Vehicle Status Monitor" say on your oil life? I wouldn't change the factory oil until at least 5,000 miles of usage.

I'd build up a good relationship with a Mazda dealer if I don't want to DIY on my vehicle. Of course the service department of the dealer has to have good reviews. Although it can be more expensive than building up a good relationship with an independent garage, but overall you should get better quality of service with OEM parts, and good knowledge on your Mazda vehicles with technical support from Mazda North American Operations.

What does your "Vehicle Status Monitor" say on your oil life? I wouldn't change the factory oil until at least 5,000 miles of usage.
I don't get a message, if that's what you're asking? No blinking light, no nothing.

I'd build up a good relationship with a Mazda dealer if I don't want to DIY on my vehicle. Of course the service department of the dealer has to have good reviews. Although it can be more expensive than building up a good relationship with an independent garage, but overall you should get better quality of service with OEM parts, and good knowledge on your Mazda vehicles with technical support from Mazda North American Operations.
So you're recommending I should stick with the dealer service department--if they prove to be good, that is? So far, they have been good. We'll see what happens today.

By the way, this is what they'll do today:

Code:
Confirmation Code: XXXXXXXXXX
Date and Time: 07/25/2018 02:40 PM
Service Advisor: Mazda Manager
Vehicle: 2018 MAZDA CX-5
Repair Services: 5,000 MILE SERVICE - PERFORM 5,000 MILE SERVICE INTERVAL
PERFORM OIL CHANGE SERVICE PERFORM TIRE ROTATION PERFORM BRAKE INSPECTION
INSPECT BRAKE LINING AND ROTORS INSPECT CHARGING SYSTEM INSPECT/ADJUST AIR PRESSURE
TOP OFF FLUIDS EXCEPT BRAKE FLUID
Notes: APPT. YY, WAITER, QUOTED $139.88
Requested Arrangement: Waiting while work is being performed

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Thanks.

I don't get a message, if that's what you're asking? No blinking light, no nothing.

So you're recommending I should stick with the dealer service department--if they prove to be good, that is? So far, they have been good. We'll see what happens today.

By the way, this is what they'll do today:

Code:
Confirmation Code: XXXXXXXXXX
Date and Time: 07/25/2018 02:40 PM
Service Advisor: Mazda Manager
Vehicle: 2018 MAZDA CX-5
Repair Services: 5,000 MILE SERVICE - PERFORM 5,000 MILE SERVICE INTERVAL
PERFORM OIL CHANGE SERVICE PERFORM TIRE ROTATION PERFORM BRAKE INSPECTION
INSPECT BRAKE LINING AND ROTORS INSPECT CHARGING SYSTEM INSPECT/ADJUST AIR PRESSURE
TOP OFF FLUIDS EXCEPT BRAKE FLUID
Notes: APPT. YY, WAITER, QUOTED $139.88
Requested Arrangement: Waiting while work is being performed

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Thanks.
$139.88 for *5,000-Mile Service* is a bit high comparing to my Mazda dealer. My dealer charges $60 for oil change with Castrol oil, $70 with Mazda moly oil. One way to save money doing the service at dealers is you don*t ask for *5,000-Mile Service*, but rather, you ask for *Oil Change***Tire Rotation* specifically according to the maintenance schedule outlined in your owner*s manual. In the mean time you can ask them checking other fluids and tire pressure verbally. Of course you still need to know some basics of checking coolant*brake*etc. fluid levels and ask them to top off if you see any of them low. Go to dealer or Mazda USA*s website to find discount coupons on service.

You must missed my previous post about oil life monitor and Flexible oil change interval. With this you don*t have to stick with doing service at every 5,000 miles or 6 months. Make sure to check your "Vehicle Status Monitor" after today*s service. If it*s not *Flexible* on *Oil Change*, change it to *Flexible*. If it*s *Flexible*, make sure it says 7,500 miles or very close on oil life. If it*s not, your dealer didn*t do the reset, and you need to do the reset as soon as possible to bring back the oil life to 7,500 miles. Doing all of these with the ignition on but engine is NOT running!

Firstly, go to your "Vehicle Status Monitor" under *Applications* in your infotainment screen and select "Maintenance* to display the maintenance list. Check if you have "Flexible" setting under "Oil Change" which is supposed to be the default from factory. You can use the miles left on your oil life as a guideline for your first oil change. Follow the "Flexible" oil change interval which is up to 7,500 miles (10,000 miles for 2016(.5) CX-5) or 12 months whichever comes first. You can take your CX-5 in based on "Oil chang due" message with a wrench indicator from your "Flexible" oil change monitor, or do it early before the message displayed as your like. I'd keep the moly-rich factory oil in there for at least 5,000 miles within a year and do the first oil change.

Make sure to reset your "Flexible" oil change monitor with ignition on without engine running. Most Mazda dealers won't do this for you as many don't even aware this feature. If you see 7,500-mile oil life, it's been reset!

Be aware those "free" oil change offered by dealers. They'll use the cheapest bulk oil they can find. So do ask and see if you can have better options such as Mazda 0W-20 moly oil which is only $10 more from my Mazda dealer for oil change. The only goog thing doing the oil change at dealers is they "normally" would use OEM oil filter with new drain plug washer.

Back