2013~2016 Oil catch can

I wrote this "white paper" about catch cans, a while back.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Documents/pcvor.pdf

A couple of pointers:
1. Catch cans are typically mounted downstream of the PCV valve, since many PCV valves require some oil to stay functional.
2. Oil is easier to trap if it is more viscous, so the cooler the filter media and catch can, the greater the volume of oil and moisture that will be trapped.

Thanks for this. I was wrong in my original post and I've edited it as shown below. I've reviewed where the PCV valve is on the 2.5T Skyactiv-G engine, and it looks like my catch can is indeed downstream of the PCV. I'm also going to try to find a different mounting spot for my catch can, somewhere that will keep the can cooler than where it currently is. Maybe where the OEM air box used to be.

The oil separator delays the carbon build-up cleaning by catching most of the blow-by. An aftermarket catch can attempts to catch the blow-by that happens to make it past the oil separator. If anything, theoretically an aftermarket catch can will extend the length of time it might take before the valves need to be cleaned (compared to how long it might take without the catch can). That in itself is worth the $25-$100 and 20 mins install time to me.

A whopping half fluid ounce...lol

It may not seem like a lot, but over a long enough period of time, the build up can get to a point where it starts to gradually affect mileage and engine performance.

It may not seem like a lot, but over a long enough period of time, the build up can get to a point where it starts to gradually affect mileage and engine performance.

It's not a lot...My buddy's 850hp Vette is sitting here, it has a oil catch can (mandatory at the track), it produces the EXACT same amount in the EXACT same mileage. Granted, it'll produce that amount in a single track day, but it ain't enough to worry about. 30k miles on the build, better than ever... Like stated, it ain't gonna hurt anything, so go for it, it's somewhat cheap and not time consuming, but some just don't want to admit they do it because it's just one more mod they can say they did and be able to tinker with their car (Yea, I'm looking at you Chris, I too was that guy one day, lol)...Boy to know what I know now...

Last edited:
Well, I added a catch can to my CX-9 for a couple of reasons. First, my Accord performed so much better after doing a carbon build-up cleaning. Second, the IS250 I used to own had the warranty extended to 9 years/unlimited miles because of the carbon build-up issue on the 2.5L V6. In my experience, it only makes sense to add an oil catch can to delay (possibly even prevent) having to do a carbon build-up cleaning over the course of my ownership. I didn't do it so I could add it to a list of mods.

Like you said, carbon build-up is pretty much an eventual thing all car owners will have to deal with if you keep the cars long enough or drive them a certain way for a long enough time.

The oil separator delays the carbon build-up cleaning by catching most of the blow-by. An aftermarket catch can attempts to catch the blow-by before it makes it to the oil separator. If anything, theoretically an aftermarket catch can will extend the lifecycle of the OEM oil separator just by taking on some of the "load". That in itself is worth the $25-$100 and 20 mins install time to me.

In case there's any confusion, blow-by is produced when the engine is not at operating temps. More blow-by is produced in climates with high humidity. This means that if your commutes are short enough that the engine doesn't reach operating temps, it will not be hot enough to burn off the excess blow-by. This is why aggressive driving helps, it gets the engine to operating temps faster.

Here are pics of the blow-by caught by an aftermarket oil catch can on Silly Wabbit's CX-9. This was 2k miles after the installation.

Chris_Top_Her also has an oil catch can installed on his 2.5 NA and he has mentioned before that he catches "a lot of blow-by".

The only difference between an oil separator and a catch can is that the catch can needs to be manually emptied. If one "filter" works well, and a second "filter" can be added without any impact to "flow", then the second filter helps much more than it hurts. Thus the aftermarket catch can is an improvement to the existing system.

Getting a car to normal operating temperature is important. If you think of it, dripping oil on a very hot piece of metal will burn the oil off. Also water from condensation will evaporate out of the engine/exhaust system. The store I go to is close by, I always take the long way. Since I like driving my car and it gets good mpg I don't mind the detour.

I wrote this "white paper" about catch cans, a while back.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Documents/pcvor.pdf

A couple of pointers:
1. Catch cans are typically mounted downstream of the PCV valve, since many PCV valves require some oil to stay functional.
2. Oil is easier to trap if it is more viscous, so the cooler the filter media and catch can, the greater the volume of oil and moisture that will be trapped.

Good write up!!

A whopping half fluid ounce...lol
The blown-by from CX-9 in the picture is about 18ml (0.6 fl oz), but Chris's had more. 0.6 fl oz for 2K miles, no wonder intake valves look like this:

attachment.php

CX-5 Carbon Build-up Intake.jpg

Considering that fuel out of the injectors is measured in mcl.. that's is alot of junk that didn't dilute your fuel charge. And some still will get through

Back