Hissing noise at 40+ mph for 2017 CX-5

Just saw more responses on the 2nd page.

I can provide more details when I get the car back. I think it's too pre-mature to go through the lawsuit/lemon route, but will keep that in mind if the problem persists/comes back.

I am going to contact Mazda corporate to ask for an extended warranty (both bumper-to-bumper and powertrain with $0 deductibles).

Do people know what's the duration of Mazda's extended warranty (Total Confidence and Powertrain Confidence)? The website doesn't show any plan details, so maybe there is flexibility in it. Is a 5 year/60k miles bumper-to-bumper and 10 year/120k miles powertrain a reasonable request?

I think mine is similar to cln. Its noticeable to me, but I have to point it out for people to hear. How loud was yours?

You can’t make subjective comparison on a forum and knowing Japanese production methods, if one does it they all do. The only way if you’ve homed in on a certain noise is to try another and see if it is there. There is something strange with the op car in that the tracking was out when delivered. They set them precisely in the factory and this notion that they can get damaged at sea is bollocks. If the dealer knows that it was out he knows how it got out and that is my concern. They will deny any knowledge as long as they can shift the expense of putting whatever happened right. If it’s been dropped off a lift or launched over a curb by some customer in a test drive, it may have had further implications. It’s more common than you might think.

How many miles were on it before you purchase your CX5? My dealer keeps cars available specifically for demos, and than you pick a fresh one. When the dealer sales rep first took us for a spin before I took over he was beating the snot out of the car. When it was my turn to drive he encouraged me to do the same, and since I knew I wasn’t going to buy this one I did! Before I signed the deal on an untouched one, I took it for an easy test drive making sure there were no strange wobbles, or sounds at highway speeds. Typical new cars have 5 to 10 miles on them when they hit the dealer. If they have more there is a good possibility that they were abused or damaged during test drives.

How many miles were on it before you purchase your CX5? My dealer keeps cars available specifically for demos, and than you pick a fresh one. When the dealer sales rep first took us for a spin before I took over he was beating the snot out of the car. When it was my turn to drive he encouraged me to do the same, and since I knew I wasnt going to buy this one I did! Before I signed the deal on an untouched one, I took it for an easy test drive making sure there were no strange wobbles, or sounds at highway speeds. Typical new cars have 5 to 10 miles on them when they hit the dealer. If they have more there is a good possibility that they were abused or damaged during test drives.

It had 8 miles on it when I took it out for a test drive. My sales guy said Im the first potential owner to drive it - still had all the wraps inside and the car was parked in their overflow lot that took a while to get it moved for the test drive.

Hello,
We have found an annoying whistle also related to our roof rack. I did not notice it until it was pointed out by the wife, but it is annoying and then you start to focus on it, it becomes much louder.
I located it while I was a passenger. Using a cell phone frequency analyzer, it was just a bit under 5k frequency, and would turn on about 37 mph.
The phone app confirms is it there and not loud. We found it was louder with the sunroof open, because we could hear it easier.
Moving my hand around the windshield trims while moving I could modulate it.
After trial and error, we put some tape over the smallest of transitions and it is fixed....see attached picture. (https://imgur.com/a/9aGMZ)
Still have to go to dealer, expect the noise could be on driver, passenger, or both, but only on passenger for us.
9aGMZ

I will guess there are other places that can cause similar noise...good luck.

Last edited:
Hello,
We have found an annoying whistle also related to our roof rack. I did not notice it until it was pointed out by the wife, but it is annoying and then you start to focus on it, it becomes much louder.
I located it while I was a passenger. Using a cell phone frequency analyzer, it was just a bit under 5k frequency, and would turn on about 37 mph.
The phone app confirms is it there and not loud. We found it was louder with the sunroof open, because we could hear it easier.
Moving my hand around the windshield trims while moving I could modulate it.
After trial and error, we put some tape over the smallest of transitions and it is fixed....see attached picture. (https://imgur.com/a/9aGMZ[/IMG])
Still have to go to dealer, expect the noise could be on driver, passenger, or both, but only on passenger for us.
9aGMZ

I will guess there are other places that can cause similar noise...good luck.

Well, looks like I’m not the only one with the roof rail whistling issue! After my transmission job was done (separate story), I was leaving the dealership and noticed the whistling sound. Went back right away and the technician confirmed it’s wind noise. Advisor suspected it’s the roof rail, so they removed the rails and viola, the noise is gone!

They said well, guess it’s normal, but I insisted on taking out another new car on the lot with the rail, and guess what?! That one is silent. After the tech drove both, the dealer is ordering me a new set of rails....

I did some self testing at home afterwards by putting some painting tapes covering the top edge of the windshield through the tip of the roof rail. That did the trick, it’s silent. I then removed the tape, driver side first, and can confirm that it’s only coming from the passenger side. Further self testing with my wife and had her hand cover the rail in motion immediately eliminates the noise.

I just hope the new rail will help. The old one looks perfectly fine. I wonder if it has to do with the windshield seal though.

If the rails didn’t have the inserts installed then you will get that noise, just like blowing across the top of a soda pop bottle. This has been known for decades. They need plastic tight fitting inserts installed with no gaps.

Back