A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

I did a great big long tutorial to go with the fitting instructions but just as I was about finished I was called for a meal. When I got back it had timed out, whatever that means so I spat my dummy out and the tutorial was no more!

Here’s the front one fitted and although they barely extend a couple of inches, they do stop quite a lot of crud flying up the side of the car.

IMG_4060.jpg

The awkward parts of fitting the front ones are getting enough trim off to slide this speed clip in.........

IMG_3736.jpg

.......and the setting of this captive nut which the instructions show as being done with a special tool. You can do it by holding the nut while you wind the screw in but it would be easier if you were an octopus........

IMG_3733.jpg

There is also a sticky pad which I used a solvent cleaner to prepare the location;

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

In my usual style, I went a bit overboard and used the nice day to completely remove the trim and apply a thick coat of Collinite (sorry I can’t help it);

A7FA16F1-BB0C-4854-A035-A481818B70BE.jpg

Then sprayed liquid wax under the wheel arches. That has now set to a bulletproof coating;

024D4BFD-4A42-4094-B0E7-A87CFAE96161.jpg

Wow! Great pictures and helpful detail and directions! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post and explain this job! (bowdown)

Great shots of the assembly there. That is a unique nut. The usual method in my prior vehicles were sheet metal screws so this looks much more durable.

The pictures are more helpful combined with the instructions. Fitting the rears is easy but those fronts are a tad trickier. Here are the instructions if anybody wants to contemplate whats involved.

I have a similar jack, but I don't have a suitable rubber for the lift, what do you use and do you have a link.

Foot on mine is around 3" to 4".

It’s one of those arcan 2 ton floor jacks. The market is flooded with them here. It works fine so yes, I’m quite happy with it.

I have a similar jack, but I don't have a suitable rubber for the lift, what do you use and do you have a link.

Foot on mine is around 3" to 4".
Suitable rubber? I've never used rubber on my jack.
Ok, now that just sounds wierd. [emoji12]

Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

Heres the front one fitted and although they barely extend a couple of inches, they do stop quite a lot of crud flying up the side of the car.
So the OEM mud flaps especially the front ones for gen-2 CX-5 have more involved for installation than gen-1 CX-5 - another little surprise I guess ⋯

Thanks for your very informative post as usual! (cool)

A hockey puck works I’m sure. The nice thing about these is the magnets. Just stick it on at the jack point and it stays. Then line your hydraulic jack up and Bob’s your uncle. Or Robert’s your father’s brother if you prefer.

i was surprised to see it still stuck on the undercarriage after 6 months of driving... for the life of me i couldn't think of where else i would have placed it... until i went to jack it up and found it sitting right where it was last used.

I'll have a look at a puck, the magnet type cost nearly as much as the jack did, and I was wanting rubber really.

i use hockey pucks... $0.99 at the local sports store. a few passes with a table saw and viola.... good to go.

apparently i was in a rush last year, as i found one of the pucks still stuck on the undercarriage!

Those aluminum weld protectors look cool though....adds some some garage bling.

Back