Subaru vs. Mazda

At what oil level does the "low oil" light come on? Also, for of you with some miles on your CX-5, how much oil do you lose between oil changes (and at what intervals do you change the oil?)

Thanks!

The low oil light blips when oil pressure is too low. Doesn't matter how much oil is in the pan. It could blip during oil starve or anytime oil pressure isn't being maintained..a trashed bearing could cause a low oil pressure light.

The low oil light will come on if you have 1 quart left in the crankcase, or if you’ve neglected your oil changes. If u see that light you must pullover right away and pity yourself.

These engines are not known to burn oil, but some do. I burned 1 quart every 9km so I switched to 5w30 and it is almost twice as long now.

If you drive a lot in the city, change every 5k.

If you drive highway/non aggressive driving, do 7.5k intervals but no longer.

You've gotta stop putting your foot in your mouth man

Last edited:
The thing I don't like about Subaru's turbos is the lag. The 2.5 turbo in my Outback has a ton of lag, and not much boost at lower RPM. Same for the WRX I tested before I bought my Focus ST. On paper, the current version of the 2.0 turbo has max torque from 2000 RPM (vs. 3600 RPM in my car) but for some reason it still feels like it needs time and revs to spool up. In hindsight, I wish my wife had opted for the 3.0L flat-6 rather than the 2.5L turbo.

Don't roll around out of boost if you're going to get it....

Subarus are good cars. There's a reason everyone and their mother has one out here and especially up in the mountains where I grew up.

At the same time, I hate Subaru drivers with a passion because invariably the slowpoke clogging up the passing lane playing "keepers of the speed" with the car next to them are a early to late 2000's green Subaru Outback (it's mostly green ones, sometimes white).

My mom has a Crosstrek (2014 or 2015 maybe?), and I have to say it has a very spartan interior. Lot of hard plastics, and the seats are rock hard. She takes a couch cushion with her every time she drives it! Even my early CX-5, is much nicer.

The power as well was lacking. CX-5 is spirited, the Crosstrek really needed me to punch it to go anywhere. The only thing it had stock that my CX-5 doesn't, is paddle shifters. Outside of that, was not really a fan of it at all.

For these reasons, I don't consider Subaru, and probably never will.

Last edited:
Exactly on point. They’re solid cars just very utilitarian imo. I have several friends who have them and they just aren’t very engaging to drive and the outback has a tendency to rock back and forth over bumps which bothers me. Also the body roll OMG!

Subarus are good cars. There's a reason everyone and their mother has one out here and especially up in the mountains where I grew up.

At the same time, I hate Subaru drivers with a passion because invariably the slowpoke clogging up the passing lane playing "keepers of the speed" with the car next to them are a early to late 2000's green Subaru Outback (it's mostly green ones, sometimes white).

My mom has a Crosstrek (2014 or 2015 maybe?), and I have to say it has a very spartan interior. Lot of hard plastics, and the seats are rock hard. She takes a couch cushion with her every time she drives it! Even my early CX-5, is much nicer.

The power as well was lacking. CX-5 is spirited, the Crosstrek really needed me to punch it to go anywhere. The only thing it had stock that my CX-5 doesn't, is paddle shifters. Outside of that, was not really a fan of it at all.

For these reasons, I don't consider Subaru, and probably never will.

HAhahahahahaha

Several years ago, I drove a third generation Legacy wagon and I could barely fit in the drivers seat. Poorly designed. I must say that it did have some pep considering it was pre CVT flat 4.

I think Subaru and I think poster child for vehicle as an appliance. At least the Crosstrek, Outback, and Forester.

I see a WRX with mudflaps I think something else (lol2). Not my cup of tea I guess.

Which is why I live my Mazda :)

WRX's were the number one vehicle used in robberies and getaways in the late 1990's/early 2000's here in OZ

I think of ikea plastic flexible cutting boards....which is a real mod some people actually use as mudflaps.

Here ya go!:

image.jpg

Back