2018 vs 2016

In my part of the country (NW US) you actually see a lot of them off pavement. I'm not talking hardcore off-roading but one occasionally comes upon debris even on forest service roads as you head to trailheads and such.

Would that much of a difference actually be noticeable when coming across some debris (uhm)

The ground clearance is adequate for the most of us. The main obstacle is plowed or deep snow.

I have no delusions of taking our CX-5 out to the Moab or Rubicon.

Where I reside, next to no obstacles on the roads. If a tree or it's branch is on the road (once in a blue moon), have to turn around.

Here it's basically asphalt everywhere, so clearance is adequate.

Would that much of a difference actually be noticeable when coming across some debris (uhm)

It could be the inch that saves that slice on the oil pan... one needs to be careful regardless. The CX is targeted as primarily an on-road vehicle and lower ground clearance definitely benefits that use case.

I had my CX-5 a summer or two back on a pretty rough forest service road with ruts, rocks and sticks. I did end up scraping the underbody plastics some. I'm not sure the '17+ would have made this same road without considerably more underbody damage. Mine just received some minor abrasions.

Perhaps I am a special use case?

If a Crown Vic can do some things at Moab the CX-5 surely can as well. :)

Last edited:
It could be the inch that saves that slice on the oil pan... one needs to be careful regardless. The CX is targeted as primarily an on-road vehicle and lower ground clearance definitely benefits that use case.

I had my CX-5 a summer or two back on a pretty rough forest service road with ruts, rocks and sticks. I did end up scraping the underbody plastics some. I'm not sure the '17+ would have made this same road without considerably more underbody damage. Mine just received some minor abrasions.

Perhaps I am a special use case?

If a Crown Vic can do some things at Moab the CX-5 sure can as well. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

As you said, it's primary on-road use vehicle. Think they dropped the ride height to improve wind flow over the vehicle and perhaps handling.

I'd be open to some aluminum skids if someone made then. I don't think I have seen anything available here in the states. Perhaps over in your market? A lot of off-road gear is developed and made in Australia. I've purchased a few things for my GX from your country. I'll have to look around some. Recently put a rear table on my GX that I purchased from Australia.

Cool table add on!

Probably something available here for the CX-5 or try Japan as they seem to have lots of genuine accessories

I have a 2016 GT with all packages (which includes adaptive cruise control)

1. Auto hold - Electronic brakes
2. No CD drive
3. Front pillar tweeters
4. Slightly smoother gears as you move shifter from P to xx, yy, zz.
5. Pedestrian detection
6. Better blind spot monitoring software
7. Already stated: Adaptive cruise goes to complete stop (in mine up to I think 20 or 25 mph and disconnects)
8. Better smart city brake/etc. (software more fine tuned)
9. Interior center dash - is worse. There's just 1 big hole underneath the center dash but the small cubicle side of driver: missing / cup holders are side-by-side instead of back to front
10. Rear seat has USB ports.
11. Rear seats have vents - heat/cold
12. Rear seats recline slightly
13. Your 2016 GT has 19" wheel, not sure if 2018 GT has what diameter...........
14. Soul Red pain is richer in 2018 but substantially thinner - too many complaints about thin paint (take it however with a pinch of salt)

Huh? The crazy $1200 ones i.e. full LED with the lights turning with steering wheel turns, etc.

I was wondering if yours uses the headlight as well as the accents as DRLs, or something different. I'm trying to understand the many different versions of front lighting that have graced the CX-5s.

'13-'15 have the following:

Halogen Low / Halogen High (DRL is the Halogen High)
Bi-Xenon HIDs for High & Low / DRL is separate fixture used for the Halogen High bulbs on so equipped models

bthom70, the 2018 vs 2016 delta list is long. Here're a few (may not be complete).

Cylinder Deactivation
Illuminated power window controls with one-touch up/down
Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring ABSM
Electronic Parking Brake EPB with Autohold
MRCC Cruise Control with Stop & Go
Lane Keep Assist System LAS
Traffic Sign Recognition TSR
Winsdhield projected Head-Up Display HUD
G-Vectoring Control GVC
Front wiper de-icer
A-pillars pushed back 35mm for improved visibility
15% stiffer chassis, 3% more ultra-high tensile steel, Thicker sheet metal
Power liftgate with programable height
Heated steering wheel
10 Bose speakers: subwoofer, front tweeters, reduced door rattle
Noise-Vibration-Harshness NVH enhancements
Noise-isolating (acoustic) windshield
Double rubber door jamb seal
More sound suppression material
Larger door-pocket storage space
Rear doors open wider at 80 degrees
Rear passengers AC/heating vents
Heated outboard rear seats
Rear seat recline
2 Additional 2.1A USB port (rear seat armrest)
Lined Glove Box
Re-tuned suspension for smoother ride
Improved Multi-information Display (MID)
Higher resolution & contrast 7" display
698 improvements
Ball-bearing rear differential (reduced friction, better fuel efficiency)

Coarse, you could just download a brochure, watch any of the hundreds of YouTube videos or heaven forbid, go and look at one.

Back