Remote Start Options / Recommendations / Things to consider?

Based on this and the other thread, I am planning to do the Fortin Evo One as well on my wife's recently acquired 2019 CX-9.

The EVE ONE won't require you to restart the vehicle after you open the door. The EVO ALL will shutdown and you'll have to restart the vehicle when you get in. I just got off the phone with Fortin because they booth sounded like they supported mostly the same features, this was one of differences. I'm ordering one now for my wife's CX-9, from Santa.

Thank you - I couldn't remember that the One allowed for takeover!

Good luck!

Based on this and the other thread, I am planning to do the Fortin Evo One as well on my wife's recently acquired 2019 CX-9.

Good luck, if I can figure it out anyone can!

This is all interesting, my 2018 cx-9 has a remote starter installed with the factory remote. Dealer said Mazda partnered up with Viper. Lock unlock lock, remote starts the vehicle. Engine stays running when you open the door and stays running when you push the brake down.

However if you open any door besides the drivers side first the engine cuts off.

Works great

This is all interesting, my 2018 cx-9 has a remote starter installed with the factory remote. Dealer said Mazda partnered up with Viper. Lock unlock lock, remote starts the vehicle. Engine stays running when you open the door and stays running when you push the brake down.

However if you open any door besides the drivers side first the engine cuts off.

Works great

Wait - you have an '18 OEM remote starter that uses the key fob and not the phone app?

What did that run?

EDIT: Looks like 19 GTs and up have remote start but NO 18s have it?

Please confirm for me... None of the 18 or 19 CX9s offer OEM remote start?

My daughter's 17 CX5 GT didn't have it but I figured Mazda would've corrected this by now. No remote start on a ~$43k vehicle...just wow.

Last edited:
EDIT: Looks like 19 GTs and up have remote start but NO 18s have it?

Please confirm for me... None of the 18 or 19 CX9s offer OEM remote start?

My daughter's 17 CX5 GT didn't have it but I figured Mazda would've corrected this by now. No remote start on a ~$43k vehicle...just wow.

Mazda has offered the app based remote start option for awhile, I think all the way back to '17 but definitely '18 and '19.

I don't see any evidence at all of a Viper based remote start kit using the factory FOB (or any FOB) for that matter. Searching the web doesn't yield any Mazda based resulted for CX-9 with Viper remote start kit.

Ok I was provided two options by the dealer, approx 1 month ago for my 2018 CX-9 sig:

1). App Based remote start, requiring a subscription, but I heard it wasn't ready for prime time (buggy). No additional FOB required.
2). After market remote, this was recommended, but required an additional key fob.

Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I have the Fortin One installed in my 2018 6 Signature (the install is identical to the CX 9, including firmware and settings) and there is one "gotcha" with it. If the vehicle has the radar cruise control feature and the feature is turned on (either already on or turned on after starting), remote starting the car will cause a radar sensor failure error to display on the instrument panel. it can be cleared by stopping and restarting the engine with the start button. I contacted Fortin and they are aware of this and are working on a fix, but have no ETA for it. Their suggested workaround was to change the settings to engine stop when the door is opened until they have a fix.

Last edited:
I have the Fortin One installed in my 2018 6 Signature (the install is identical to the CX 9, including firmware and settings) and there is one "gotcha" with it. If the vehicle has the radar cruise control feature and the feature is turned on (either already on or turned on after starting), remote starting the car will cause a radar sensor failure error to display on the instrument panel. it can be cleared by stopping and restarting the engine with the start button. I contacted Fortin and they are aware of this and are working on a fix, but have no ETA for it. Their suggested workaround was to change the settings to engine stop when the door is opened until they have a fix.

Well thats a big gotcha. Thanks for sharing. Ive been eyeing the Fortin for our 2018 CX-9, but wont get it as long as this is an issue.

Something is not identical to the '18 CX-9 because I don't get that message and my engine does not stop when the door is opened.....

FWIW, I do have error lights on the instrument panel until I hit the button to complete the takeover. But I think it's just TPMS.

My 6 won't pop the error until I engage the radar cruise feature. Just engaging the cruise control without the radar function won't trip the error. The obvious difference is that the '18 6 Sig has the new, configurable instrument cluster. That's new to the '19 CX 9 and CX 5.

I bought the Viper remote start. $199 + $30 T-link installed, original keys programmed and bluetooth capabilities. Installations appointment is for 1/17/19.
Ill keep you posted.

Thursday, I went to the store that I bought the remote start to have it install.
Everything was fine, now I am able to start the car and get it warm. It is a Viper DS4VP. Only issue was that at the moment of registering the app I was not able to set a password to use the Bluetooth. After many attempts and running out of passwords combo, lol, I called the Help Line at Viper and I was told that the server was down and to try again in a couple of hours. I did that later and no problem, now I need to return to the place that installed the remote and have the guy program it with the Bluetooth in 5. Not a big deal since I am always near by them. Keep you posted.

steering_column.JPG

Some folks have asked me how difficult it was to get the steering column plastic surround apart. It's pretty easy. I would turn the steering wheel to 3 o'clock first, that will expose some of the front face of it. I found being able to put a little thumb pressure where the top and bottom come together helped with getting it to pop loose. Basically two screws on the bottom then just separate the top and bottom half. In this photo you can see the snap attach pegs.

CX9-2018 Remote Start Compustar - Success

I recently installed Compustar FT-DC3 with ADS-THR-MA3 Harness.
It was very easy plug n play install. No splice required.
I didn't install Hood Pin & Parking light control. It works flawlessly with OEM Remote LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK.
You will require a weblink H/W to update firmware and decrypt program of FT-DC3 Brain once and to change remote start setting link i did for LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK.
Total cost - 230 CAD + 70 CAD for WEBLINK DEVICE(Refundable when you return the device).
Bought it from
https://lockdownsecuritycanada.ca/
Amazing and prompt E-mail and Phone support.

Cheers..

Anyone has activated compustar VALET mode ?? In my case light flashes once then twice but vehicle can be still started from remote, Ideally it should not.
Following up with compustar but no luck.

I recently installed Compustar FT-DC3 with ADS-THR-MA3 Harness.
It was very easy plug n play install. No splice required.
I didn't install Hood Pin & Parking light control. It works flawlessly with OEM Remote LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK.
You will require a weblink H/W to update firmware and decrypt program of FT-DC3 Brain once and to change remote start setting link i did for LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK.
Total cost - 230 CAD + 70 CAD for WEBLINK DEVICE(Refundable when you return the device).
Bought it from
https://lockdownsecuritycanada.ca/
Amazing and prompt E-mail and Phone support.

Cheers..

How easy was the install? Need to run any wires? Or just zip-tie to existing wires under the dashboard?

I have the Fortin One installed in my 2018 6 Signature (the install is identical to the CX 9, including firmware and settings) and there is one "gotcha" with it. If the vehicle has the radar cruise control...

Have they released an update?
I read in other threads that an update fixes this. But it could be for the compustar remote start.

I installed the Fortin Evo One this evening. An overall simple process. The most time was spent on organizing and tucking away the unit and wires under the steering column.

A question: For those who also installed the same remote start unit, did you also install the hood pin switch? I did not, and it works fine. My concern is from a safety standpoint. Someone could remote start the car while working under the hood or car. Unlikely I*m sure, and I can take extra measures to minimize the risk, but I*m still thinking about installing it. Has anyone done so, and if so, how did you route the wire from the cabin to the engine compartment?

Back