Sunroof Bug

:
2020 CX-5 GTR
I have 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring. I noticed that when I try to close the driver and passenger side windows while the sunroof is closing, the sunroof would stop immediately and revert to the full opening position. It's as if I had pulled the sunroof open switch. This happens often, but not all the time. I wasn't able to detect the pattern to figure out the cause.

Does the same thing happen to your car?

Should I leave it alone of should I take it too the dealer? It doesn't really bother me as long as it doesn't cause any safety problem.

I've just scanned the manual and makes no mention of this issue under any warning notes.

You could always try and reset it (from the owners manual):

If the moonroof does not operate normally, do the following procedure:
1. Switch the ignition ON.
2. Press the tilt switch, to partially tilt open the rear of the moonroof.
3. Repeat Step 2. The rear of the moonroof tilts open to the fully open position, then closes a little.
If the reset procedure is performed while the moonroof is in the slide position (partially open) it will close before the rear tilt opens.

Last edited:
After reading your post I decided to try this yesterday in our brand new GT, and sure enough when both the driver and passenger windows were auto-closing along with the sunroof, the sunroof stopped half way and opened fully.

Seems strange.

After reading your post I decided to try this yesterday in our brand new GT, and sure enough when both the driver and passenger windows were auto-closing along with the sunroof, the sunroof stopped half way and opened fully.

Seems strange.
Maybe it's done on purpose (uhm)

Wondering if the pressure that is created by closing both doors is enough to cause a failure of the sunroof or glass, hence the stoppage, ie the sunroof senses something in it's path and stops?

Same thing has been happening on mine for a while but I can’t figure out why. I tried the reset but it didn’t seem to do anything, was following the manual so hopefully I was doing it correctly. I’ve gotta take it in for maintenance in the next few weeks so I’ll ask when I do and update y’all with what they tell me

Same thing has been happening on mine for a while but I can’t figure out why. I tried the reset but it didn’t seem to do anything, was following the manual so hopefully I was doing it correctly. I’ve gotta take it in for maintenance in the next few weeks so I’ll ask when I do and update y’all with what they tell me

Let us know what they say please :)

Update - Took mine in for service today and told them about this happening. Of course when I tried to replicate it so the service tech could see it didnt do it *sigh*. They checked the sunroof track and didnt see anything weird and told me to bring it back if it keeps doing it, even though I told them it happens almost everytime. So the update is that there really isnt one...

Update - Took mine in for service today and told them about this happening. Of course when I tried to replicate it so the service tech could see it didnt do it *sigh*. They checked the sunroof track and didnt see anything weird and told me to bring it back if it keeps doing it, even though I told them it happens almost everytime. So the update is that there really isnt one...

are YOU able to show them the issue instead of trying to get the tech to replicate it?

Update - Took mine in for service today and told them about this happening. Of course when I tried to replicate it so the service tech could see it didn’t do it *sigh*. They checked the sunroof track and didn’t see anything weird and told me to bring it back if it keeps doing it, even though I told them it happens almost everytime. So the update is that there really isn’t one...

When it does it again, record it on your phone

I am with Puyapim on this one.
The combined current demand likely drops the current to a state the the closure is interrupted.

are YOU able to show them the issue instead of trying to get the tech to replicate it?

They tried to get me to do it too but it didnt happen. Ill try to record it but it happens so fast I would have to be recording everytime I close the sunroof in order to catch it.

I am with Puyapim on this one.
The combined current demand likely drops the current to a state the the closure is interrupted.

My only question regarding that is why doesnt it happen if Im closing the rear windows with the sunroof? Is there something different about the front ones? I just dont know enough about the electronics.

They tried to get me to do it too but it didn’t happen. I’ll try to record it but it happens so fast I would have to be recording everytime I close the sunroof in order to catch it.

Try is with a passenger inside who can record it.

Back