Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

The EVO wasn't competitive in the WRC? The Montero didn't win the Paris to Dakar over and over again? The Eclipse wasn't featured in the F&F franchise of movies? Mitsibishi offers nothing competitive said the guy with a Suzuki in his sig.

I personally have around 30k to spend on a car right now, more if I want to finance. Mazda offers nothing to replace my 3rd gen RX-7 with. If they did I'd buy it, because I've been driving Mazdas since they were fast and hate to give up on my favorite brand of car.

I'm just one guy with 30 grand. Not much in the big scheme, but I cant be alone. The RX-7 club isnt exactly dead, and neither is the Miata one. None of those guys want a watered down SUV that can't go offroad.

Last edited:
What percentage of sales do you think those cars represented? I'd be willing to bet it was REALLY low.

I wouldn't remotely complain about having some more nice, sporty options available from Mazda either but 'Traditional Mazda buyers' want class leading handling, decent power, nice styling/interiors. Those are things Mazda has always represented and where their largest sales volumes have always been. They're not really deviating from that.

Again, a few nice, sportier options would be great as well and I'm sure they'll get around to some. But that's not remotely where their success hinges.

I get your point with the sales, but at the same time that is still a segment that is part of Mazda's heritage. Along with the idea of being an "every man" accessible brand to fun and performance. Every year Mazdas seem to be getting more and more expensive. My 2014 Touring was $25.5k. I think newer Tourings (no packages) is now what around $3k more in the newer models? Turbo 6 entry point is in the $30k range? No stick shift even?

Their current lineup does make a compelling line for those looking for engaging daily drivers, but those wanting a straight up fun/performance car is left out to dry plain and simple.

Last edited:
It’s funny Doug DeMuro just did a video on the 3000 GT VR4. He commented on how the card
from the original sales guy was from a dealer that sold Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Pontiac, and Hyundai. He said if you had asked me back then which of those 4 brands would survive I wouldn’t have guessed Hyundai.

I really don’t think Mazda is going the direction of those other 3.

The EVO wasn't competitive in the WRC? The Montero didn't win the Paris to Dakar over and over again? The Eclipse wasn't featured in the F&F franchise of movies?

What percentage of sales do you think those cars represented? I'd be willing to bet it was REALLY low.

Again, the reason Mitsubishi is where it it is isn't because the extremely low volume EVO wasn't competitive. They are where they are because their main stream products were nowhere near class competitive.

And FWIW, when I bought my Suzuki, they were top 3 in sales in Japan behind Toyota and Nissan IIRC. No idea where they are now. Their dealer network and advertising sucked in N.A. but there was nothing wrong with their cars (at least the one's that were ACTUALLY Suzuki's and not re-branded Daewoo's forced on to them by GM). Also doesn't help that N.A.'s don't really like small cars (which, beyond motorcycles, is largely their thing).

My AWD, manual SX4's been a rock and is a hoot to drive on slippery/gravel roads (and has a nice rallying background FWIW) ;)

img1.jpg

Last edited:
Hell yeah. Galant? Those things were pretty mean. My '87 Starion ESi-R was a Dukes of Hazzard tire smokin' donut spinning beast! Until the transmission took a s***, it was one of the funnest cars I'd ever driven.

Hey I had a manual 1988 Starion myself. Second car I ever owned after a manual 1991 Mazda Protege'.

And for whenever I replace my CX-5, I am just not interested in a fake luxury vehicle (Gen 2).

mw2s15.gif
(wink)

In any event, Mazda have/are moving away from Zoom Zoom (not completely mind you) since the market (especially here) has said Zoom Zoom is good but don't like the agricultural way of it. So Mazda is responding in kind.

Yes it would be nice to try and be loyal to its core fan base but that base is not large enough I'm afraid. Therefore they are trying to broaden themselves within their size and financial constraints.

Last edited:
When we replace ours it’s probably Allroad or Q5.

Their certainly nice, they also have nice styling and they have (generally speaking) more power. They're also a fair bit more expensive and less reliable.

Have to think they're going to get around to giving the CX5 more power eventually - the diesel and eventually the 'X' motor (likely even a 2.5L 220+ HP version, at least optional) likely to take care of the lion's share of that issue. It's one of the only things really left wanting in the CX5 and I have little doubt they address it in due course.

If that's resolved, what exactly does an Audi give you (besides $10k+ bill and less reliability?). Better dealership experience maybe?

More power will surely be coming to the CX-5, more than likely when the next update and or generation arrives circa 2020ish

No, but who said I could only spend 30k. Even the CX-5 will probably be more if they put more power in it.

Their certainly nice, they also have nice styling and they have (generally speaking) more power. They're also a fair bit more expensive and less reliable.

Have to think they're going to get around to giving the CX5 more power eventually - the diesel and eventually the 'X' motor (likely even a 2.5L 220+ HP version, at least optional) likely to take care of the lion's share of that issue. It's one of the only things really left wanting in the CX5 and I have little doubt they address it in due course.

If that's resolved, what exactly does an Audi give you (besides $10k+ bill and less reliability?). Better dealership experience maybe?

I said Audi not BMW. I’m not that worried about reliability. Heck even CR likes them.

No, but who said I could only spend 30k. Even the CX-5 will probably be more if they put more power in it.

They will put more power in it. If they don't (highely unlikely), then the CX-5 will become extinct.

More power will surely be coming to the CX-5, more than likely when the next update and or generation arrives circa 2020ish

The 3 appears to be getting the 'X' motor in the new 2019. I'd imagine the CX5 will follow shortly after 2020/21 as you said.

And it seems like the diesel is due to be available some time in 2019 (along with available AA/ACP upgrade).

Latest posts

Back