FWD vs AWD??

Haha yeah wth 7? You guys do get some wild swings out there..I'd probably stick to something like the Dunlop Wintersports or the like (firmer compound) that don't go all doughy when temps rise but still give you decent grip on snow along with pretty impressive tread life..mine probably went close to 40k which was impressive still enough meat to run them out this summer locally and on rainy days where my Yoko Advans w/about 20k on them in the X1 are dangerous.

Yeah. I only ended up with the Blizzaks because they were $87/tire. In the future when I replace them, it will be a snow tire with more tolerance for higher temperatures for sure.

We ended up with a fwd CX-5 because we needed the space for baby number one but my wife and I were both still commuting 25-40k a year. We were in it for the better fuel economy and reduced maintenace compared to awd. The lower cost of entry was a bonus.

We also just so happened to score one of the very few fwd CX-5s that get ordered into New England. And we'll just stay home of the weather gets that bad. And we live on the ocean so generally the winter isn't as severe as it is farther inland.

And finally I've seen plenty of blown up awd systems on CX-7s and CX-9s. No way to know how solid the awd system on the 5 would be. Now the its become mt daily driver (62k miles on our 16 now) and I will more than likely throw some snow tires on this winter (have 17 alloys off my old Speed3).

I will always advocate for AWD for these kinds of vehicles, but just get some snow tires if you are in new England, and I'm sure that will cover you.

Edit: And blown up AWD? Not that I've ever heard of that issue on CX-5s. They are quite good. Since you mention CX-7, that is probably all the pre Skyactiv CX-9s too and definitely pre Skyactive for CX-7. Doubt it's the same systems here.

Last edited:
AWD because the Mazda AWD penalty is not nearly as bad as I was thinking initially ...
While I typically get 22-23mpg on my short commute to work...
I was able to get 32 mpg average on my longer trip (50 miles) to San Jose from San Francisco.

In my mind there is really no point in getting a CUV unless you get the AWD.
Exactly what I'm thinking. A CUV without AWD is like some important characteristic of a CUV is missing. That's why I had to special-order our AWD CX-5 as nobody carries AWD CX-5 in Texas ⋯ :)

We ended up with a fwd CX-5 because we needed the space for baby number one but my wife and I were both still commuting 25-40k a year. We were in it for the better fuel economy and reduced maintenace compared to awd. The lower cost of entry was a bonus.

We also just so happened to score one of the very few fwd CX-5s that get ordered into New England. And we'll just stay home of the weather gets that bad. And we live on the ocean so generally the winter isn't as severe as it is farther inland.

And finally I've seen plenty of blown up awd systems on CX-7s and CX-9s. No way to know how solid the awd system on the 5 would be. Now the its become mt daily driver (62k miles on our 16 now) and I will more than likely throw some snow tires on this winter (have 17 alloys off my old Speed3).
Nothing wrong picking up a FWD CX-5 based on your reasons and needs. But AWD problems on CX-7 or CX-9 should not be a concern on AWD CX-5 as they're totally different systems.

⋯ Edit: And blown up AWD? Not that I've ever heard of that issue on CX-5s. They are quite good. Since you mention CX-7, that is probably all the pre Skyactiv CX-9s too and definitely pre Skyactive for CX-7. Doubt it's the same systems here.
Yes, both of them are pre-SkyActiv AWD systems which are different from CX-5's. 1st-gen CX-9 has a well-known problem on front transfer case, which is from Ford's PTU, due to the heat issue. It's hard to maintain without a drain plug, and strangely Mazda has never listed the gear lubricant change as one of the scheduled maintenance item for AWD otherwise it'd prevent this problem greatly. Not sure on CX-7 but CX-7 overall is having poor reliability history and I believe that's one of reasons why Mazda stopped producing it.

Our last car was a 2014 Rav4 FWD. It was an economical decision at the time (cheaper price and better fuel efficiency). It had no problems in the snow with Michelin X-Ice 2 tires, we took it on many winter ski and summer cabin trips with challenging road conditions. Having said that, driving in the city in the rain, or trying to launch the car at a red light was not confidence inspiring with wheel slip all the time.

Our brand new GT has AWD and wow it drives like a completely different car. Totally confident now on how the car launches and takes turns, I'm sure it will handle the back roads and snow even better then the Rav4 (I'm going to be using the same winter X-Ice 2 tires!)

AWD because the Mazda AWD penalty is not nearly as bad as I was thinking initially ...
While I typically get 22-23mpg on my short commute to work...
I was able to get 32 mpg average on my longer trip (50 miles) to San Jose from San Francisco.
Actually CX-5 still is the worst on fuel economy penalty for AWD comparing to its FWD CX-5 counterpart. According to EPA estimates CX-5 AWD is often rated 2~3 mpg lower than FWD CX-5 while other vehicles are only suffering at most 1 mpg. I believe if you drive under 60 mph on the highway with the wind in your back, a FWD CX-5 can easily achieve better gas mileage than you just experienced.

awd feels better and comes in handy in slippery conditions. plus you accelerate faster. i can't see getting a cuv or suv without awd. thats a mazda3 hatchback.

Actually CX-5 still is the worst on fuel economy penalty for AWD comparing to its FWD CX-5 counterpart. According to EPA estimates CX-5 AWD is often rated 2~3 mpg lower than FWD CX-5 while other vehicles are only suffering at most 1 mpg. I believe if you drive under 60 mph on the highway with the wind in your back, a FWD CX-5 can easily achieve better gas mileage than you just experienced.
Got a link for that? It was only one on 2016. Something change? /Edit Nevermind. Found it.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t doubt it... the final drive is lower on the FWD allowing lower cruising RPMs, drivetrain losses aside.

Latest posts

Back