Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

Updated original posts. Do not run the cable across the A-pillar if you choose to use the 12v socket on the passenger side for power. Doing so means that the cable crosses over the side curtain airbag, which can interfere with the deployment of the airbag if it is triggered. Refer here for instructions on running the cable properly.

Updated original posts. Do not run the cable across the A-pillar if you choose to use the 12v socket on the passenger side for power. Doing so means that the cable crosses over the side curtain airbag, which can interfere with the deployment of the airbag if it is triggered. Refer here for instructions on running the cable properly.

Today I moved the dashcam power cable from the headliner to the windshield side of the passenger A-pillar. It moves down, then across the bottom of the A-pillar to the underside of the passenger door weather stripping. Should be good here, correct? Thanks

Today I moved the dashcam power cable from the headliner to the windshield side of the passenger A-pillar. It moves down, then across the bottom of the A-pillar to the underside of the passenger door weather stripping. Should be good here, correct? Thanks

Yep, should be fine there as long as it doesn't cross over the pink airbag. Even if you choose not to hide the wire behind the A-pillar, as long as the wire crosses the bottom of the A-pillar, it's all good.

Yep, should be fine there as long as it doesn't cross over the pink airbag. Even if you choose not to hide the wire behind the A-pillar, as long as the wire crosses the bottom of the A-pillar, it's all good.

Great, thank you!

Follow up...

Received the cable today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Installation couldn't be more straightforward. You will need to supply your own usb cable (the shorter the better).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QLjpoRF1iqjLrCQZ8

QLjpoRF1iqjLrCQZ8

Hi Phil, thank you for your business!

I'm the builder of that adapter. I'm pleased to announce that I've officially joined Mazdas247 as an approved merchant member (thanks Antione!). I sell mostly via Amazon but hope to begin interacting with members directly and offering a group-buy to you guys once I have more product in stock. Stay tuned!

5k703RZ.jpg

F5PcMsY.jpg

Welcome K3vonn! Thanks for joining the conversation. Hopefully someone volunteers to test this out on their frameless mirror!

I've reached out to K3vonn to offer help in testing on frameless mirror. Not sure if being a 6 and not a CX-9 or the fact that I'm in Canada will affect my ability to assist.

I do like the this plug and play solution. I had used wiretaps and a DIY USB module in my former CX-5 but anything plug and play is the way to go if it's out there.

Okay, Studum sent me some photos of the frameless mirror plug.

The bad news: the signature model (or any of the frameless mirrors) uses different connectors (see pic below) than the non-frameless mirrors, so my adapter from above wouldn't work. The good news: I have access to these connectors (they're used in frameless Prius and all frameless Lexus models) and can design and build a compatible version super quickly.

What I need to figure out now is do all Signature models (mazda 3, all the cx models) use the same mirror part no? Is there enough demand for this adapter or does somebody know if all Mazdas going forward might move to this new plug?

71S3C5dLm8L._SL1500_.jpg

Updates... I obtained the official wiring for frameless Homelink mirrors from the Mazda service manuals. Here is the information:

ljzScUZ.png

qEOSuLg.png

Finally got some time today to install dashcam. Did some work with the multimeter to figure out wiring on the frameless mirror. First had to identify which pin was ground by running a wire to ground nut under the hood and testing for continuity. Then once I had that, tested other pins for 24v with ignition on.

I used an invisicord to tap into the white plug. 10 pins but only 4 are used...ground is black wire on top left and switched hot is blue/black on bottom right.

See pics below.

View attachment 220722View attachment 220721View attachment 220720View attachment 220718View attachment 220719

Mind sharing how to open/remove the sensor cover? I tried with small pry tool but got nowhere and stopped in fear of breaking it.

Is there room in the harness (frameless mirror) for using two Invisicords for hooking up a radar detector AND a dash camera? I have emailed Invisicord twice asking about a custom solution with a single set of taps split into a miniusb cable and a RJ11 cable but they never got back to me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Is there room in the harness (frameless mirror) for using two Invisicords for hooking up a radar detector AND a dash camera? I have emailed Invisicord twice asking about a custom solution with a single set of taps split into a miniusb cable and a RJ11 cable but they never got back to me. Anyone have any experience with this?

I believe there is sufficient room. I can take a picture for you later today.

Mind sharing how to open/remove the sensor cover? I tried with small pry tool but got nowhere and stopped in fear of breaking it.

Just pull them apart going opposite directions.

I believe there is sufficient room. I can take a picture for you later today.

Thanks, probably not needed though. I heard back last night and they're going to make me a custom cable with a single set of taps. 5V USB for the camera and a 12V RJ11 for my radar detector all through a fuse as well.

I'm also struggling to figure out how to open the panel to install invisicord in 2019 CX-5 (frameless mirror). Can someone post pictures to demonstrate that? Will be very helpful to people who aren't very handy with tools.

The video quality is actually pretty good for a cheap cam.

The Viofo A129 series is far from a “cheap cam.” Viofo is a very well respected Dash cam company. The image quality of their A129 Pro series cams is better than the big brands like ThinkWare and BlackVue that sell for $500+. It’s a great company with great products. I would recommend wiring the cam into a Cellink NEO battery, then to your fuse box. It will increase your parking mode recording time significantly and take the load off your battery.

Also, if anyone is looking to have their cams installed professionally, Best Buy’s Geek Squad do installs (even if you don’t buy from Best Buy) for $60. I’m sure quality varies by location, but I’ve always had good luck with them! :)

The Viofo A129 series is far from a “cheap cam.” Viofo is a very well respected Dash cam company. The image quality of their A129 Pro series cams is better than the big brands like ThinkWare and BlackVue that sell for $500+. It’s a great company with great products. I would recommend wiring the cam into a Cellink NEO battery, then to your fuse box. It will increase your parking mode recording time significantly and take the load off your battery.

Also, if anyone is looking to have their cams installed professionally, Best Buy’s Geek Squad do installs (even if you don’t buy from Best Buy) for $60. I’m sure quality varies by location, but I’ve always had good luck with them! :)

x2, my A129 Duo setup works very well. I paid $145 for the A129 Duo, $15 for the 8-meter rear cable, and a 256GB Samsung Evo Plus microSD card for $60. That's $220 for a great setup. Add $30 for K3vonn's https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) (or the custom 10-pin adapter for framed mirrors), or the Invisicord for about the same price. That's $250 for a fully functional system that works off of the car battery. If you go for the Cellink NEO with the Viofo spliced output cable, you add $350 (plus shipping), but the dashcams no longer run off of the car battery and the Cellink battery is recharged as your drive. That's $600 for a full-fledged system perfect for daily use. Compare that to a BlackVue DR900S-2CH with 4k res (cameras only) for $480 or a Thinkware Q800PRO with 2k res (cameras only) for $400.

That’s right! I ordered a Viofo A129 4K Pro duo and a ThinkWare U1000. Including the Cellink NEO battery, the cost was $587 and $884 respectively. I returned the ThinkWare U1000. At this point the tech in the BlackVue and ThinkWare products seem to be more of a headache than anything. My next setup will be a 4ch system with 360 degree coverage and built in 4G/LTE capabilities...but it will be a few years before all that is perfected.

I'm also struggling to figure out how to open the panel to install invisicord in 2019 CX-5 (frameless mirror). Can someone post pictures to demonstrate that? Will be very helpful to people who aren't very handy with tools.

I was struggling with this part as well. I was very scared to use any force. Finally I got it off. The pins on the covers are designed in a way that it unlocks when you pull them towards you. You can put a finger through the Mirror shaft hole and pull towards you, or you can use the little slit at the bottom of the cover where it meets the windshield. You then pull it towards you - you will hear some creaking, it's not the pins breaking but the pins unlocking. With all that said dont use more force than you need to. The covers will the split in the middle. At that point stop pulling and merely slide them across. For me the right side slide off and then I had to jiggle the other side from it's pins. One the covers come off I used the B (black) and I (yellow) ports from the following post

The hardest part was getting the invisicord pins to stay in, since they don't go all the way in; even though I got the micro pins option. Infact I broke one of them by using excessive force. But for me that worked out even better because I then proceeded to cut both the pins off the invisicord and soldered a couple of thin needles instead. They went right in, all the way.

There's enough room between the sensors and the homelink to secure the invisicord box using the 3M sticky that comes with it.

Use some tape once you have everything plugged in, because the wires will move when you put the cover back on, trust me I found this out the hard way; my pins had come loose while putting the covers back on.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Back