Mazda Ranked Highly by CR

For what it's worth, CR ranks the brand number 2 overall for 2020. LINK

Give me more reasons to buy more cars from Mazda. Unfortunately, most other people are too lazy to do research or brand snobs or just plain stupid. Mazda needs to take this CR rating opportunity to advertise their products and remind people that Mazda still build beautiful driver machines RELIABLY.

Give me more reasons to buy more cars from Mazda. Unfortunately, most other people are too lazy to do research or brand snobs or just plain stupid. Mazda needs to take this CR rating opportunity to advertise their products and remind people that Mazda still build beautiful driver machines RELIABLY.

Yep, they*re pretty well dropping the ball on advertising. They should be touting the CR ranking as shamelessly as Chevy touts those worthless JD Power awards, haha.

For what it's worth, CR ranks the brand number 2 overall for 2020. LINK
In 2015 when we purchased our CX-5, the salesman proudly showed me the brand reliability ranking from CR, at that time Mazda was #4. And that was part of reason we made the purchase, and kept recommending it to friends and family. Unfortunately the ranking keeps dropping since 2015, to #6 in 2017, to #12 in 2018, then went back up.

Toyota and Lexus have always been rated in top 3 from the same CR ranking every year. Consistency is the key!

Last edited:
'14 Mazda3: owned 5 yrs
'16 Mazda6: owned 3 yrs
'17 CX5: owned 2 yrs.
Not a single reliability issue.
That is very good in my book.

Speaking of reliability, I don't know how reliable CR is, they have Porche as #4 and Honda at #12. In general I think Mazda is making very reliable cars and the odds of getting a good one is high.

Mazda's reliability and its resale value has gotten much better, and still continues to advance. Other areas still need much improvement such as the dealer network, and brand recognition advertising.

This is what their advertisements should be screening about. Fun and reliable and efficient! And people who buy Lexus cars do so partially because they are incredibly reliable.

My Mazda experience has been "acceptable". It has not impressed me as super reliable, but it has also not frustrated me with frequent problems, etc.

CR does not allow advertising to mention their publication I believe. You would have to say something like a leading consumer magazine stated ...

Tim

I checked Consumer Reports when considering the CX 5 and their rating was one of my key motivations to buy.

This is what their advertisements should be screening about. Fun and reliable and efficient! And people who buy Lexus cars do so partially because they are incredibly reliable.

Fact! One of the biggest reasons I bought my Lexus IS250 vs. a C250/300 or a 3-series is because of the reliability factor. High repair/maintenance costs scared me away.

A CR ranking like this is great for the brand. Most people who pay attention to publications like these are just like us, people who do further research on online forums to get a lay of the land. It would be smart for Mazda to capitalize on this news somehow.

Last edited:
In 2015 when we purchased our CX-5, the salesman proudly showed me the brand reliability ranking from CR, at that time Mazda was #4. And that was part of reason we made the purchase, and kept recommending it to friends and family. Unfortunately the ranking keeps dropping since 2015, to #6, then to #12 in 2018.

Toyota and Lexus have always been rated in top 3 from the same CR ranking every year. Consistency is the key!

Interesting that you stopped at 2018. They were ranked #4 last year.

CR does not allow advertising to mention their publication I believe. You would have to say something like *a leading consumer magazine stated ...*

Tim

I saw on MazdaUSA site earlier this year that they listed out CR ranking of car brands as well as specific Mazda model reliability rating against rivals, but now they are not on the site anymore(wonder why). But your suggestion of "a leading consumer magazine stated...." will work just fine.

Mazda if you are listening....Hurry up and take this CR ranking opportunity and put together some Holiday TV ads - something like a giant GREEN bow on top of all your RED cars, all parked in snow. Your sales figure will definitely improve.

Unfortunately the ranking keeps dropping since 2015, to #6, then to #12 in 2018.

Actually, CR gives the 2018 CX-5 their highest rating for reliability. It ties the 2018 Subaru Forester for reliability, is just a bit below the 2018 RAV4, and way better than the Hyundai Tucson. Owner satisfaction is way higher than the RAV4 and nearly the same as the Forester.

Interesting that you stopped at 2018. They were ranked #4 last year.
In my post Ive quoted your comment of Mazdas CR ranking as number 2 overall for 2020, and I didnt mention 2016 ranking either. Why theres a need to repeat your words and other rankings for every year when my point is consistency?

I said consistency is the key, #4 -> #4 -> #6 -> #12 -> #4 -> #2 since 2015 is not consistent for reliability rating.

So based on 2020 CR Predicted Reliability ranking being #2, does this mean Cylinder deactivation/Rocker arm issue is rare and far in between?

In my post I*ve quoted your comment of Mazda*s CR ranking as number 2 overall for 2020, and I didn*t mention 2016 ranking either. Why there*s a need to repeat your words and other rankings for every year when my point is consistency?

I said *consistency is the key*, #4 -> #4 -> #6 -> #12 -> #4 -> #2 since 2015 is not consistent for reliability rating.

Actually, this is what you stated:

... Unfortunately the ranking keeps dropping since 2015, to #6, then to #12 in 2018. ...

That has been proven inaccurate, so I'll leave it at that.

Back