Need some buying advice

:
None
I'm thinking about joining the Mazda family. I have two options for getting a used or new CX-5:

New: 2016.5 AWD Touring, Black, 12,500 miles with advanced blind spot monitoring, moonroof, heated seats, Bose sound system and navigation, power driver seat

Used: 2017 AWD Touring, Metallic Grey, with Premium Package (auto-dimming rear view mirror with HomeLink, auto on/off headlights, Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring, Smart City Brake Support, navigation, moonroof, power liftgate, leatherette/suede interior)

So basically, the brand new (and newly designed) 2017 has the auto-dimming rear view mirror, auto on/off headlights, power lift gate, smart city braking, and leatherette/suede interior... but will end up being about $4,000 more.

I found the 2017 to be a smoother and quieter ride, and the styling was obviously nicer as well.

Any thoughts on what is the better deal? Is it worth the extra money in your opinion to go with the 2017? plan to keep my cars for a long time (10 years or more) so I'm looking at this from a long-term perspective.

For the record, many people here think the 16 looks better. Obviously? Please, brother.
How is a 17 used already? Things been out like 3 months. How many miles on it?

I'm thinking about joining the Mazda family. I have two options for getting a used or new CX-5:

New: 2016.5 AWD Touring, Black, 12,500 miles with advanced blind spot monitoring, moonroof, heated seats, Bose sound system and navigation, power driver seat

Used: 2017 AWD Touring, Metallic Grey, with Premium Package (auto-dimming rear view mirror with HomeLink, auto on/off headlights, Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring, Smart City Brake Support, navigation, moonroof, power liftgate, leatherette/suede interior)

So basically, the brand new (and newly designed) 2017 has the auto-dimming rear view mirror, auto on/off headlights, power lift gate, smart city braking, and leatherette/suede interior... but will end up being about $4,000 more.

I found the 2017 to be a smoother and quieter ride, and the styling was obviously nicer as well.

Any thoughts on what is the better deal? Is it worth the extra money in your opinion to go with the 2017? plan to keep my cars for a long time (10 years or more) so I'm looking at this from a long-term perspective.

See which one the dealer will have certified for you, and go that route.

For the record, many people here think the 16 looks better. Obviously? Please, brother.
How is a 17 used already? Things been out like 3 months. How many miles on it?

Style is just his opinion. Can't really argue it.

I do find it interesting how bad the value is on the 2017. It's worth only 4K more than a car with 300% more miles, that was the LAST gen of the same model, a year older, similarly equipped. Like I said, Mazda retained value is a joke.

Get the 2016.5, it's a a better looking vehicle than the 17 and a better value IMO. It's also slightly faster, has more cargo space and gets better fuel economy than the 17 as well.

Ok Mr Quote Happy.

He's the One who said "obviously" ... Not me.

As soon as a car drives off the lot and becomes used it loses at least $3 grand. 300% more miles? He didn't even tell us the mileage on the 17. You think a Honda would fare better? You think a 16 CR-V is what? Only 1,000 cheaper then new? Come on. You know better.

WIt..I'm confused...is the 17 new or used?

Last edited:
WIt..I'm confused...is the 17 new or used?

Thinking they got the new/used backwards. Its stated that the 16.5 has 12,500 miles so it has to be used. Guessing the 17 is probably new, could be used I guess. So the 17 will be about $80 more a month. It really depends if you have the cash or not I guess. If I was buying, I'd probably go for the 17 even though I think it looks worse by a good bit. Because I am a tech ***** and want all the goodies. But many aren't like that. They want what is sensible and priced nicely. In that sense, the 16.5 is the better pick.

But maybe you get a 17 without the premium package. Then the prices come together a lot more and maybe you get the newer car for not that much. Really just depends if you comfortably afford the extra cost. Plus if this is a long time car, be careful. The more gadgets and techy stuff, the more expensive repairs will be down the road. Nothing on the Cx5 tech side has proven to be expensive with issues(besides maybe the headlights), but always something to think about.

Thinking they got the new/used backwards. Its stated that the 16.5 has 12,500 miles so it has to be used. Guessing the 17 is probably new, could be used I guess. So the 17 will be about $80 more a month. It really depends if you have the cash or not I guess. If I was buying, I'd probably go for the 17 even though I think it looks worse by a good bit. Because I am a tech ***** and want all the goodies. But many aren't like that. They want what is sensible and priced nicely. In that sense, the 16.5 is the better pick.

But maybe you get a 17 without the premium package. Then the prices come together a lot more and maybe you get the newer car for not that much. Really just depends if you comfortably afford the extra cost. Plus if this is a long time car, be careful. The more gadgets and techy stuff, the more expensive repairs will be down the road. Nothing on the Cx5 tech side has proven to be expensive with issues(besides maybe the headlights), but always something to think about.
OP posted similar post on another web site and it read like this:
Thinking about joining the Mazda family. I have these options of getting a used or a new CX-5:

1) $24,400 2016.5 AWD Touring, Black, 12,500 miles with advanced blind spot monitoring, moonroof, heated seats, Bose sound system and navigation, power driver seat

2) $21,000 2017 AWD Touring, Metallic Grey, with Premium Package (auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink, auto on/off headlights, Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring, Smart City Brake Support, navigation, moonroof, power liftgate, leatherette/suede interior)

So basically, the brand new (and newly designed) 2017 has the auto-dimming rearview mirror, auto on/off headlights, power lift gate, smart city braking, and leatherette/suede interior... but is $3400 more.

I found the 2017 to be a smoother and quieter ride. I also like the styling a bit more although they are both similar.

Any thoughts on what is the better deal? Is it worth the extra money in your opinion to go with the 2017?

Me thinks he's trying to jerk us around! None of it makes any sense.

It's a confusing post. I think he's saying a used 2016.5 vs a new 2017. If that's the case I think he needs a bigger discount on the 2016.5. New they're $2000 less than a 2017 just because of Mazda money. So one with 12.5K miles should be more than the extra $2K difference. Especially if the new one has a premium package. Even TrueCar puts them at $4K difference, without the premium package, for new models so a used one should be a bigger discount.

It's no contest in my opinion, get the new or get a much bigger discount. Frankly, the 2017 is the better car by a mile and doubly so in this scenario.

One of my perverse pleasures, actually it makes me mad, is when a car dealer offers a used current year car for near MSRP. It's just beyond stupid but they do it every time.

You have a third option. Buying a wagon. Used v60s are in early 20s are actually as costly as a mazda. Mazda resale is a strong fellow.
A Nissan Pathfinder is Same as cx5 in price. But it doesn't find any path because the GPS sucks.

My apologies for the confusing post as I quickly typed it. My post definitely didn't make sense. And I did put this same thing on another forum (and confused that one as well so I was 2 for 2 on making mistakes).

The 2016.5 is used - it has 12,500 miles. It's not coming from a Mazda dealer but would be purchased from a friend... so it wouldn't be certified.
The 2017 is brand new (no miles) and, with the premium package, will be about $4K more when it's all said and done.

I have the money to purchase and I usually keep my cars for a long time (10 years+), if any of that matters. And as for making statements about the styling - I agree that is a matter of personal opinion. I was really just looking for comments on the value from all of you with a lot more familiarity with Mazdas.

Thanks to all who commented.

My apologies for the confusing post as I quickly typed it. My post definitely didn't make sense. And I did put this same thing on another forum (and confused that one as well so I was 2 for 2 on making mistakes).

The 2016.5 is used - it has 12,500 miles. It's not coming from a Mazda dealer but would be purchased from a friend... so it wouldn't be certified.
The 2017 is brand new (no miles) and, with the premium package, will be about $4K more when it's all said and done.

I have the money to purchase and I usually keep my cars for a long time (10 years+), if any of that matters. And as for making statements about the styling - I agree that is a matter of personal opinion. I was really just looking for comments on the value from all of you with a lot more familiarity with Mazdas.

Thanks to all who commented.

If money doesn't matter...get the new one.

Keeping for a long time, get the one with 0 miles and a full warranty... 17.

Getting a used car for almost the same value of a new one in particular this case with a new generation, does not make sense. Go for the 17'.
The 18's are rolling into the dealers, so you could be able to secure a better deal on a new 17' with 36 months-36k bumper to bumper warranty.
Take advantage of the 0% interest that I think Mazda still offers.

And many here think the 17 looks better. (yes)

.... because it does look better. far better. literally every single person that doesn't like the 2017 styling owns the older model, suspiciously enough...

the previous model looked cheap and childish. whoever thinks the 2017 model looks worse is blind.

Back