Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Isn't the new 6 on paper quite a bit faster the the revered MS3 with premium gas and 320 torque? Yea...pretty sure it is. There's your 6 speed. Is this not enough?

Isn't the new 6 on paper quite a bit faster the the revered MS3 with premium gas and 320 torque? Yea...pretty sure it is. There's your 6 speed. Is this not enough?

Sorry 7, but I don't think it's even close. 2nd gen speed 3 was like 5.3-5.5 seconds 0-60. Not sure what the 2.5T 6 is quoted at, but I don't think it's nearly that quick.

Last edited:
Sorry 7, but I don't think it's even close. 2nd gen speed 3 was like 5.3-5.5 seconds 0-60. Not sure what the 2.5T 6 is quoted at, but I don't think it's nearly that quick.
And SkyActiv-G 2.5T is designed for low-end touque at low rpm which is not good for fast acceleration. The engine is running out of breath above 4,250 rpm.

And SkyActiv-G 2.5T is designed for low-end touque at low rpm which is not good for fast acceleration. The engine is running out of breath above 4,250 rpm.
Because it was primarily designed for the CX-9 which they did research and concluded that most of it's driving is at low speeds therefore no need for top end power

Last edited:
So it's not really broadening then. It's replacing one with the other.

This is what I think is happening now. We are losing the folks who want more performance as they purchase cars from different brands. Those folks are then replaced by new Mazda buyers who don't really care that much about performance. So I'm not really sure if Mazda is gaining or losing customers. At the end of the day, Mazda needs to keep in mind their zoom-zoom and feel alive slogans. I'm not asking for 300+ horsepower, just wanting for more power across the board. Mazda definitely employs a lot of car people. Dave Coleman even mentioned that he wanted to put the 2.5T engine into the CX-3 (even if it doesn't fit), and that it fits in the Mazda3 and Mazda6. The problem of course is whether or not they will be allowed to by upper management.

The Mazda6 with the turbo is a good start. I have yet to see Motor Trend or Car and Driver quote some passing time stats. I'm very much interested to see if it can match the gen2 speed3 45-65 mph passing time of 2.5 seconds. Even if it is slower, I still think this is a step in the right direction.

This is what I think is happening now. We are losing the folks who want more performance as they purchase cars from different brands. Those folks are then replaced by new Mazda buyers who don't really care that much about performance. So I'm not really sure if Mazda is gaining or losing customers. At the end of the day, Mazda needs to keep in mind their zoom-zoom and feel alive slogans. I'm not asking for 300+ horsepower, just wanting for more power across the board. Mazda definitely employs a lot of car people. Dave Coleman even mentioned that he wanted to put the 2.5T engine into the CX-3 (even if it doesn't fit), and that it fits in the Mazda3 and Mazda6. The problem of course is whether or not they will be allowed to by upper management.

The Mazda6 with the turbo is a good start. I have yet to see Motor Trend or Car and Driver quote some passing time stats. I'm very much interested to see if it can match the gen2 speed3 45-65 mph passing time of 2.5 seconds. Even if it is slower, I still think this is a step in the right direction.
IMO this's a step in wrong direction! Mazda should spend very little money adding a turbo to SkyActiv-G 2.0L. Adding a turbo to 2.5L that's an engine too big with turbo for most applications and fuel efficiency will suffer greatly!

There is a reason 2.0t is so ubiquitous. However, if Mazda does it the way they did with the 2.5 with the cycle they are using I think it’s going to be more like the b cycle 2.0T from VW. I think that’s why Mazda uses the 2.5 actually.

Not designed for fast 0-60 times. But is designed as you say for torque and the feeling of getting the car moving. It should never feel the driver wanting for more power basically. Disappointing in a manner if comparing to other cars in class on paper. Successful if actually driving the car I guess....still haven't seen a broken-in Mazda6 Turbo review yet but the torque-weight ratio makes it feel much faster than it is.

IMO this's a step in wrong direction! Mazda should spend very little money adding a turbo to SkyActiv-G 2.0L. Adding a turbo to 2.5L that's an engine too big with turbo for most applications and fuel efficiency will suffer greatly!
When I said "a step in the right direction", I meant offering more powerful engines for their cars. They could offer a SkyActiv V6 and I wouldn't care. I just want more passing power. They only gave the Mazda6 the 2.5T engine because that's the only higher powered engine they have available. They only have that because a 2.0T engine would be struggling on a big vehicle like the CX-9, so they chose to turbocharge the 2.5 engine instead.

I suspect their Skyactiv exhaust setup doesn’t translate well to a V. Maybe they could do something like VW’s VR.

Mazda's FSDE engine went into the Protege, the Kia Sportage, the Ford Probe, the Mazda MX-6, Mazda MPV, and more. Sharing one engine with more than one car or even marque isn't new for Mazda.

Cars that don't corner well are though.

Not like Mazda doesn’t have a platform to pull tech from and trickle it down the model line. [emoji41][emoji56]

d9b3cf394462fa4a385aaa89df311625.jpg

Back