My 24hr Mazda experience

bitbanger

:
2019 White CX-5 Touring + Preferred
Hi folks - new CX-5 owner here. Picked up a CPO 2016 CX-5 GT last night in Soul Red. Gorgeous.

Today was the first day I drove it to work.

After work it failed to start.

Previously at lunch I sat in it and listened to the radio, set some favorites, etc but that was it.

Go to leave today and the door unlocked, but the car wouldn't start: message was "key not recognized" and "keyless system malfunction". Dealer had just put new batteries in the TX but I checked anyway: it was 2.99V, perfect. Checked the engine battery, 6V!

Got a jump from a co-worker, but the idle was terrible! Engine shaking. Moved to a different place in the lot and the car lurched and jerked all the way there, with all kinds of warning lights on the dash. Reluctantly shut it off. Restarted, same thing.

Finally I pulled the battery for maybe 30 seconds and started it back up - much better!

So few things:
1)despite being a modern vehicle, is there something you can still do to accidentally drain the battery? When I left the car at lunch I noticed an odd beep as I left - hit the lock on the fob and didn't think anything of it. Two possibilities come to mind: I left the headlights on ON (i prefer manual on/off), OR I left the car on ACCY and left the vehicle.
2)The rough running after jump and subsequent restart is a little worrisome. Should I bring it in?
3)Is there not a manual key start? I thought some had an access cover but couldn't find any.
4)Is there not a BATT indicator in the dash?? I would have never known the car battery was dead unless I had access to a multi-meter!!

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day! Ironically I hadn't yet transfered my jumper cables over from my old car. SURE AS HECK did tonight!

Last edited:
IpqUp5bunqCHUbXfTktWiI-OTcOCYtQsxB18AixRx4mXiy1Dw2yQccck_77DRqzO5oKlkZKqpCb9rjxg4PgvI372kDsIJ39Y7fNdb22NyRfYXwNvTnk80yv9XzwXKfQut-Dutp4Ghau1W8IDHw2gg2K0czcqWP8VQg_u_m_zwUFX7ZhkJYTPrvnNm-2_xBIO51cxEUTOjO-Fr991nYyvswO6I5AtFgffWuINE5NhT6k6UwFB7p0VzPZEVFfnCZqne5YkER7gyAtKwgWjkjfAO7o65kgQemMT1E9PqqPIrIoWpCxD2v5AEaRltr6LxL7fXwYLSeamuxbk1815pYREubgMFdhtoF1zvLahNB9rDUOWtuHK23IeCqGITmfAQdNiDu6uqVcgcxB95Dt3Ho68uouEDr_nzARv3R5l3g89WC9fSogzPwZtQTMHHFrwfarnDqKkbiaFJ5ElfJEir3ThEhrpg1t9rdZDj6fd-uePEWTGUmUw4rlftyCkOrLcTcaanifsD-pEor8D8hT81toNVf-eqmYfdCzIz_d3HfWbrP434J7Hhn3MaHtPFDNeWhid_P6rJXA8mzX8P4GhFQDiKMCZ_A12HGaUCBUwQNWb=w1725-h966-no

If I had to guess I would say you inadvertently left ACC on. My CX 5 was my first vehicle with keyless ignition and I a similar experience when new ... several times. I'm used to it now.

Yes, sounds like you are leaving the car ON. Especially if it is beeping at you when you leave it.

Hi folks - new CX-5 owner here. Picked up a CPO 2016 CX-5 GT last night in Soul Red. Gorgeous.

Today was the first day I drove it to work.

After work it failed to start.

Previously at lunch I sat in it and listened to the radio, set some favorites, etc but that was it.

Go to leave today and the door unlocked, but the car wouldn't start: message was "key not recognized" and "keyless system malfunction". Dealer had just put new batteries in the TX but I checked anyway: it was 2.99V, perfect. Checked the engine battery, 6V!

Got a jump from a co-worker, but the idle was terrible! Engine shaking. Moved to a different place in the lot and the car lurched and jerked all the way there, with all kinds of warning lights on the dash. Reluctantly shut it off. Restarted, same thing.

Finally I pulled the battery for maybe 30 seconds and started it back up - much better!

So few things:
1)despite being a modern vehicle, is there something you can still do to accidentally drain the battery? When I left the car at lunch I noticed an odd beep as I left - hit the lock on the fob and didn't think anything of it. Two possibilities come to mind: I left the headlights on ON (i prefer manual on/off), OR I left the car on ACCY and left the vehicle.
2)The rough running after jump and subsequent restart is a little worrisome. Should I bring it in?
3)Is there not a manual key start? I thought some had an access cover but couldn't find any.
4)Is there not a BATT indicator in the dash?? I would have never known the car battery was dead unless I had access to a multi-meter!!

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day! Ironically I hadn't yet transfered my jumper cables over from my old car. SURE AS HECK did tonight!

Take it back to your dealer. Most likely a messed up car sold by a shady dealer.

I would put a slow charger on the battery untill it comes to full charge. If it holds a charge and no more issues then your good to go. The dealer is the next step if problems exist. JMO. Ed

I don't think you can leave the headlights on after you shut the car off, I know on my 16 the headlights go out automatically.

I would take it in. Let them recheck the electrical system.

I don't think you can leave the headlights on after you shut the car off, I know on my 16 the headlights go out automatically.

So I found a timer in the settings screen that is "headlight timer" or something like that - there is a *disabled* position, so I wonder if it was set to disabled (since I had to jump then reset the battery I don't know for certain what the setting was before).

But I agree, even with headlights forced on, I wouldn't think the car would allow them to drain the battery. I've been reading the manual but I certainly need another re-read.

I would put a slow charger on the battery untill it comes to full charge. Ed

Oddly enough it only took running (roughly) a few minutes to bring it up to a level where it would restart. Big spark on the jumper connections when I did jump, and it took the other car (Impala) revving quite a bit for it to even start.

Checked while running, only 13.5V output or so, should be higher. I haven't checked since "resetting" battery.

I'm going to stop at an auto store to have them do a batt/alt test.

Thanks!

If I had to guess I would say you inadvertently left ACC on. My CX 5 was my first vehicle with keyless ignition and I a similar experience when new ... several times. I'm used to it now.

Thank you this is very comforting to hear (that I'm not the only one!). New car nuances to get used to (my Forester had a manual parking light switch on the steering column that I would always hit for the first few weeks, which would lead to a dead battery)

By the way, seeing as this is a "new owner thread" - something very bothersome happened in finance (as they usually do):

Dealer made me sign a waiver for the warranty which basically stated two conditions where "electronic modules and sensors" would not be covered under warranty. I need to find out if this was the dealer-required 90 day warranty or CPO warranty.

Anyway it stated that for vehicles regularly operated in temperatures over 90F, and vehicles operated under harsh road conditions (rough/off road) areas [the above components would not be covered].

This seemed like total BS but I didn't question it at the time. I mean you could say one or the above is true for 90% of America!

By the way, seeing as this is a "new owner thread" - something very bothersome happened in finance (as they usually do):

Dealer made me sign a waiver for the warranty which basically stated two conditions where "electronic modules and sensors" would not be covered under warranty. I need to find out if this was the dealer-required 90 day warranty or CPO warranty.

Anyway it stated that for vehicles regularly operated in temperatures over 90F, and vehicles operated under harsh road conditions (rough/off road) areas (the above components would not be covered).

I don't know what the laws are in your area, but AFAIK the only thing that matters is what you signed. They may have excused themselves from having to provide warranty service.

Last edited:
Check out 05-004/16. link Might be something like that, altho the TSB doesn't apply to 16s.

OP just needs to get used to using push start to ensure car is turned off.

"key not recognized" and "keyless system malfunction". <-That means you left the car on, walked away with key fob, now the car notices the key is out of range hence the message, prolly stayed that way for a couple hours and drained the battery.

Tip: Just buy a new coin battery for the key fob. I go through mine quicker than usual because of hipster skinny pants:) I currently have the message indicating key fob battery low.

What happened is that instead of turning the car from ACC to OFF, you turned the car from ACC, to ON. Then you walked away, and the keyless system warned you about your mistake by the rapid beeping. Trying to push a button on the keychain fob will not help, because the cars ignition was left ON. The car stayed ON, until battery wore down. Then when you returned to start the car, the battery was dead.

Last edited:
My wife has a habit of leaving the interior lights on in our 2014. Now I always go out a check her car when she comes home from work.

I kill my battery all the time, but it's usually because I leave my dome lights on too. :p

Keeping a portable jump-starter with me has helped..

It is one of the few complaints I have with my 2014 CX-5. My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee would automatically shut lights off after a certain amount of time. Wish my CX-5 did too, but overall not a big deal once I trained myself.

I drained my battery twice not realizing it, both times needing a jump, because I inadvertently left an inverter plugged into the center consle cig lighter. the center console port draws power even when the engine is off, unlike the one under the radio

My wife has a habit of leaving the interior lights on in our 2014. Now I always go out a check her car when she comes home from work.

What I do: check the garage before I go to sleep.
A couple times, I caught the dome light remained on.....

Back