Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

1.329/L here this morning. Not sure what that is in $/Gal value, but it's def more than $2.xx, probably somewhere near $4 USD with the conversion?

CAD $1.329/L works out to USD $3.93/gallon. That price was not uncommon in the US just a few years ago.

It could be worse. Petrol in the UK is about USD $5.80 per US gallon right now, and in parts of the EU it exceeds $7.50.

I became numb to $1.50/L prices when I was living in Australia, but I was shocked when I traveled to Norway and saw €1.90/L. At the time, that worked out to be over USD $10/gallon, although that was at a weak point for the USD.

Yeah, being fair, right now gas is at a high point. A couple weeks ago it was down to $1.187/L. But then the Saudis brought the price of oil and gas up the other week and the prices at the pump shot up $0.14 overnight. Been hovering around that for a couple weeks now.

The thing with the price at the pump, is even though the USD conversion isn't too bad, it's still a lot more in CAD, which is what everyone uses here obviously. And our wages aren't really any better than yours (say and office worker makes $40k annual USD in the US, the same job would probably pay around the same amount of $40k CAD here in Canada), so we feel it when the prices are higher. NL prices are often worse than elsewhere in the country though to be fair, since our gas tax is high at the pump, and we have to get our fuel ferried or shipped in on boats.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing regarding wages when I lived in Australia. Professional salaries in Australia were about the same in AUD as they were for the same jobs in the US in USD. The exception was service workers, which were paid significantly more.

I took a 9 day motorcycle trip around NL back in 2007 and the only thing I remember about prices was that the hotels and restaurants in St. John's were a lot more expensive than the rest of the island.

Last fill up with ethanol free 87 was about $2.62/gal (don't recall exactly). This was Monday I think.

I became numb to $1.50/L prices when I was living in Australia, but I was shocked when I traveled to Norway and saw €1.90/L. At the time, that worked out to be over USD $10/gallon, although that was at a weak point for the USD.

Current average Sydney fuel price:

138.5 cents/L for Ethanol 10 (E10) 94
139.0 cents/L for Regular Unleaded 91
152.5 cents/L for Premium Unleaded 95
159.7 cents/L for Premium Unleaded 98
133.1 cents/L for Diesel
134.0 cents/L for Premium Diesel

Predictions are that around Christmas/New Years, regular unleaded will be over 150.0 cents/L

All things being equal, what kind of mpg projections would you expect when comparing the CX-5 2.5L NA vs a 2.5L Turbo?

As of right now 87 octane is $4.6 per gallon and 5.41 for 91 octane here in Canada. Absolutely ridiculous.

That's without taking into consideration the dollar conversion.
Converting litres to gallons, an American coming up here can expect to pay anywhere from $3.50 -$3.80 per (U.S.) gallon in U.S. currency.
I was in Florida recently, and gas there was anywhere from $2.25-$2.40/gal (U.S. $$). That's about $2.90-$3.10 Canadian dollars.
Anyway you look at it, gas is still cheaper in the U.S. than in Canada.

All things being equal, what kind of mpg projections would you expect when comparing the CX-5 2.5L NA vs a 2.5L Turbo?

My gut feel says it all comes down to driving style.
Taking it easy with the turbo car means the turbo won't kick in that often, so I suspect the mpg's will not be that much different.
However, I suspect that anyone opting for the turbo engine in the 6 is doing so because they likes to go fast, so that will definitely impact mpg's.

Consider the CX-9 Australian fuel and weight figures below:

Capture.jpg

01.jpg

And the Australian CX-5 weighs figures as follows with it's current engines:

02.jpg

Now since the CX-5 AWD with 2.5T could possibly weigh more than current 2.5L AWD (1633-1670kg) and possibly below the 2.2L Diesel (1708-1744kg) and definately less than any of the CX-9s, I would be roughly expecting 2.5T AWD CX-5 to get:

• Mid 8.0s L/100KM for Urban
  • Very High 5.0s to Low 6.0s L/100KM for Extra Urban
  • Low to Mid 7.0s L/100KM for Combined

NOTE: There is no scientific calculations for my figures, just guesstimates based on weight differences

Last edited:
With a turbo, I almost never got the expected fuel mileage, because those are under the most conservative fuel consumption circumstances, and small turbos kick in really early. Plus turbos feel awesome, and anyone with a turbo goes "moar turbo plz". lol

It’s definitely very sensitive to driving style. The only reason mine is decent is commuting in traffic that doesn’t allow that much turbo use lol

It’s definitely very sensitive to driving style. The only reason mine is decent is commuting in traffic that doesn’t allow that much turbo use lol

Well mine was bad enough that I got better fuel mileage out of a 3.8L V6 in a 4600 lb. car than out of the 2.0t I4 that weighed around 3700 lb. lmao. I may be an extreme case tho. xD

Seems turbos hitting the official fuel consumption figures is a bit hit and miss

Def hit or miss, depending heavily on how heavy your foot it (much more so than N/A vehicles). But I was also tuned, customized, and running higher boost (along with having an abnormally heavy foot, hehehe). Its so much fun hearing a turbo spool up to 20 psi, then blow off on a spot on gear change; its hard not to have a heavy foot! Hahaha.

I can attest to that..my 2l turbo rwd X1 rated for 23/33- I typically see 27/28 doing mostly hwy (not overly aggressive)..I can get 30 when taking it very easy but Monty doesn't have enough oh what's the word I'm looking for like for someone who can't say no...willpower that's it I don't any willpower! <<-(anyone?) Bottom line- if the power is there I'm likely to use it more often than not- also why I like the twins- you can drive them pretty hard without losing your license or all your $ in gas.

Last edited:
^^Hint: the character's first name was Monty..20 somethings stay home on this one:)...

Last edited:
I suppose it’s worth pointing out that my commute is also mostly hw and I’m not getting anywhere near the 32 MPG hw the ST is rated for.

Back