15in rim on Mazda5?!

Primergy

:
2006 Mazda 5
Looking for new tires, I was a bit shocked at the prices for a set of all-season rubber - it is the first car I have with low(er) profile tires.

So... I started looking for a set of stock 15in Mazda3 rims (with good used tires) and found a set, only to learn that they will likely not clear the brake-discs on a Mazda5.
Meh!
Can you confirm the fitment issues?
Are you aware of any popular 15in (stock) rim alternatives that do fit?

I know that the 5 came with 15 inch wheels in Japan, but I don't know if that was with our brake equipment.

Looking for new tires, I was a bit shocked at the prices for a set of all-season rubber - it is the first car I have with low(er) profile tires.

So... I started looking for a set of stock 15in Mazda3 rims (with good used tires) and found a set, only to learn that they will likely not clear the brake-discs on a Mazda5.
Meh!
Can you confirm the fitment issues?
Are you aware of any popular 15in (stock) rim alternatives that do fit?

Based on my research, the short answer is 15" wheels will not fit. From personal experience, 16" Mazda wheels -- stock OEM, Mz6 16" steelies -- barely fit over caliper/disc. But I have a 2014 Mz5.

I've found some of the best deals on tires @ Discount Tire/America's Tire (plus Discount Tire Direct). When there is a sale like a recent President's Day event you can get as set of 205/55R16 for a decent if not great amount. That's assuming you like rebates and prepaid Visa cards. :)

Why just take some basic measurements for yourself?? Take ruler/piece of string/your preferred measuring device and measure the gap from the inner rim wall to the outter caliper body. If you are on 17" and the distance is greater than 1", 15 "should" be good to go.

I tested fitted 15" BBS rims against MS3 caliper and the inner diameter was juuuuust short, like a mm or two. I would think 15" should work with stock Mz5 calipers.

I found brand new 16" take offs from a Mazda6 on craigslist (for cheap) and tried them this past year. Softer ride, better in the rain, cheaper rubber. Slightly better MPG (1-2+).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did not come across rims close to me that were in my price range.
The set I had my eyes set on was in Vancouver BC - a bit of a trip and too much of a gamble, not knowing 100% if they fit.

I did look at 16in rims as well but did not see a significant difference in tire prices.
In the end we bought new tires through Costco - $70 off Michelin, last weekend they had a special, all mounting, balance etc fees waived.
Nonetheless, thanks for the replies! This is good info and I will keep my eyes peeled and buy smaller rims if I find them.

PS:
Another set I was drooling over but a long drive, enjoy. Offset worries?
https://spokane.craigslist.org/wto/6008189641.html

Back