Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Just change your name to Colorado Barbarian, already. [emoji16]

Just change your name to Colorado Barbarian, already. [emoji16]

(rofl)

What can I say, I am an IT guy by experience (even if I am not in technical day to day IT anymore), but some parts of my life I am just not all that high tech on. Cars being one of them.

Don't get me wrong, the LEDs look cool though.

Last edited:
No, tech is always better, but it's the poor quality and reliability are making the issues ⋯

And there will ALWAYS be quality and reliability issues, even with low tech, but far more so with high tech.

And if failures don't getcha, the unforeseen and unintended consequences will.

But there's no stopping "progress".

And there will ALWAYS be quality and reliability issues, even with low tech, but far more so with high tech.

And if failures don't getcha, the unforeseen and unintended consequences will.

But there's no stopping "progress".

Well said.

Add one more 2016 Touring w/Tech Pkg. to the list... Passenger side DRL failed at 58,000 miles. I bought it used, but thankfully bought an extended warranty, so it "only" cost me $275 for the deductible & tax. Interestingly, the in-stock replacement is an "H" unit with a mfg date pf 20180119, but looks identical (except for being new) to the original "C" unit on the driver's side from 11/2014, in both physical appearance and color when lit.

Other than paying more money, I kind of hope the other one fails soon so both would have fresh lenses. The fog/streaks inside the old one are just enough to be distinguish them.

It's a shame; these headlights were the major selling point for me on this car. Low, high, and fog, I can't think of any lights I've ever used that came close.

Add one more 2016 Touring w/Tech Pkg. to the list... Passenger side DRL failed at 58,000 miles. I bought it used, but thankfully bought an extended warranty, so it "only" cost me $275 for the deductible & tax. Interestingly, the in-stock replacement is an "H" unit with a mfg date pf 20180119, but looks identical (except for being new) to the original "C" unit on the driver's side from 11/2014, in both physical appearance and color when lit.

Other than paying more money, I kind of hope the other one fails soon so both would have fresh lenses. The fog/streaks inside the old one are just enough to be distinguish them.

It's a shame; these headlights were the major selling point for me on this car. Low, high, and fog, I can't think of any lights I've ever used that came close.
With the manufacture date of 20180119, I assume the part number on your invoice should state "J" instead of "H". I assume you're getting part numbers and manufacture dates directly from a sticker on the headlight housing. They're different from the part number printed on the packaging box. I can tell the LED DRLs on my "H"/"J" version look like dot matrix type, but friend's flickering LED DRLs and my previous pair look like fiber optic design.

My 2016 CX-5 with tech package has had both headlights DRL halo rings fail. The first was after hitting a deer so the insurance picked it up. Now, my drivers side is flickering/dim. Just in time for the state inspection. 89000 miles. Any alternatives to the 1300 replacement (downgrade, switch, refurbished, etc.)?

Add one more 2016 Touring w/Tech Pkg. to the list... Passenger side DRL failed at 58,000 miles. I bought it used, but thankfully bought an extended warranty, so it "only" cost me $275 for the deductible & tax.
<snip>

I should be careful what I wish for... the dirver's side DRL failed today. Time to schedule another appointment :(

So we're up to what now, yrwie? Don't want to guess as you'll hold it against me forever. [emoji16] 20? 30?
Does suck though incogneato. [emoji21]

DRL out again.

First, drivers side out 6 months ago under warranty. Now Passengers side out and out of warranty. by 3 months. Not happy if I have to pay the full replacement cost. Appointment scheduled for this Monday.

First, drivers side out 6 months ago under warranty. Now Passengers side out and out of warranty. by 3 months. Not happy if I have to pay the full replacement cost. Appointment scheduled for this Monday.
No, you won't pay the full price for your out-of-warranty LED headlight right now, but the freebie-day for out-of-warranty failed LED DRLs is over too. You should expect paying up to $300 depending on the person at Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations if you're in the US.

I've never really noticed much when I'm driving but yesterday I saw two cx5 with bad DRL. One was at a red light across from me and I can see only one was on. Second one I saw was driving behind me for a few miles. The driver side was dim but after a while it's fully on again. And after a few more minutes of driving it was dim again. Is this the flickering you guys are referring to?

On another note, I have seen a lot of Honda accords that have one or two failed led in their headlights. Instead of the whole strip lit up, only the corner part was lit. Did a quick search and looks like it's a common issue for them too. I see more of those than the cx-5.

I saw a Cx5 with two failed led drls. The led headlights were on but no drls at all and I know it had the tech package because the taillights were LED

2015 South African CX-5 2.2 diesel Akera AWD - both DRL's have failed, one faint and flickering, the other nothing, not sure for how long as I just bought the car and the previous owner was not aware they were out. Fortunately Mazda here added a 1 year extended warranty to the standard 3 year warranty so it's valid until 2019. And very fortunate as I got the car 11 days out of the 3 year warranty. The local Mazda dealer in Johannesburg has ordered new lights and should replace them this week. Cost price here apparently about the equivalent of US$1000 each (shocked).

IMO, love these lights, they do "make" the car, one of it's unique signature looks. Has anyone opened a unit up to see what the problem is? LED Driver failed, leaking cap or dry joint perhaps?

I have yet to see one with a bad light.

you still have the original halos? how many miles do you have on yours?

2015 South African CX-5 2.2 diesel Akera AWD - both DRL's have failed, one faint and flickering, the other nothing, not sure for how long as I just bought the car and the previous owner was not aware they were out. Fortunately Mazda here added a 1 year extended warranty to the standard 3 year warranty so it's valid until 2019. And very fortunate as I got the car 11 days out of the 3 year warranty. The local Mazda dealer in Johannesburg has ordered new lights and should replace them this week. Cost price here apparently about the equivalent of US$1000 each (shocked).

IMO, love these lights, they do "make" the car, one of it's unique signature looks. Has anyone opened a unit up to see what the problem is? LED Driver failed, leaking cap or dry joint perhaps?

keep in mind they will be replaced with the new version of LEDs which use a dot matrix type of lighting instead of the fiber optics one. it still looks good but it doesn't have that supreme white-blue brightness to it like the original ones did. I'd be interested if someone has a youtube video of what the "J" version LEDs look like at night though

Back