What have you done to your CX-5 today?

A while back, I have installed two sets of HID relay kits, to be safe. My fog lights(HID projectors) went out and Thursday, and one of the main lights.
This weekend I had to check it out, what is happening there.
Found a wire from the little fuse box, just fell out from the spade connector. Course, the plastic housing was melted, from all that sparking.
The fuse in it, was melted and bent(!). The legs are made, from thin can material.
The relay connector, where the two red wires go in, was melted.
I had to cut all these off, and soldered new stuff in there.
Lesson learned, no more cheap Chinese kits for me. And I did this, to be safe, ha.

My trunk light kept flickering and when I pulled it to see if the bulb was loose the dang plastic switch is melting! Also the switch is used to partially hold the bulb wtf.

I've only had my CX-5 a couple of days, so I took it out and took some photos of it today to send to family back home. Not much else really.

Yeah, I would suggest to everybody, if you have some cheap aftermarket electrical stuff installed on your car, better check on it. You could burn down your car.
Yesterday, I went to Autozone, to pick up some 20A fuses and I vent with the $4.99.
When I have opened them, they are the same thin metal legs, as the ones in the Chinese relay kit.
If you are doing the same thing as me, go for a more expensive fuse.

Last edited:
Well I tried out the brand new Rain X Advantedge silicone blades and the "universal adapter" didn't work even though their website said they would. Trying to decide if $50 bucks is worth only using the blade inserts in the old frames.
Just went out driving with my 18 in snow for the first time. The Firestone Winterforce tires I put on are incredible. Thing drives like it's on rails. The one thing I will say disappointed was the wiper blades. So much streaking. They were complete crap. Any recommendations?

Washed it. OMG it was so filthy.
a52affd205659f4530fb8e8471a9bdb8.jpg

swapped my 2017 vents to 2018 vents. one of the minor annoyances of not being able to control the center vents resolved.

Dude, where did you get these, I need these. Like, why couldn't Mazda just make them like this in the first place? Haha.

Getting my die hard gold agm battery replaced under warranty at sears. Low on crank amps had to add throttle to get itbento start on the 4th try this morning.

Washed it. Some bird shat on it probably yesterday and I didn't notice it on the roof until today.

Saw a truck load of 2019s heading north on the NJ turnpike, couldn't tell how many were GTRs or Signatures but they are arriving in the area

Bought an engine air filter $38.44 and cabin air filter $20.29 at Autobarn 30% off sale on the weekend.

Just removed and installed both on car. 36k kms so were just about due.

Its a 2 minute job on for the cabin filter that the dealers charge near $70 including parts to do.

It then took maybe 10 minutes for the engine filter change due to it being the first time Ive changed one on a CX5 and figuring out that had to remove air tube connection to get the filter box open enough to change.

Both filters replaced were a bit dirty so worth doing.

Cleaned down the engine bay too, been driving on some unsealed roads lately so it was very dusty under there. Covered the electronics area with a plastic bag, sprayed down with Simple Green, and washed off with a hose, then blow dry with the 18V garden leaf blower. Then wiped the plastic and rubber parts over with Meguiars Classic Shine Protectant. Came up nice.

Topped up the battery and windscreen washer. All good to go.

It then took maybe 10 minutes for the engine filter change due to it being the first time Ive changed one on a CX5 and figuring out that had to remove air tube connection to get the filter box open enough to change.
Cleaned down the engine bay too, been driving on some unsealed roads lately so it was very dusty under there. Covered the electronics area with a plastic bag, sprayed down with Simple Green, and washed off with a hose, then blow dry with the 18V garden leaf blower. Then wiped the plastic and rubber parts over with Meguiars Classic Shine Protectant. Came up nice.

After some practice, you can just open, access, close the air box without unscrewing anything. Good job on the rest of the cleaning!!

Bought an engine air filter $38.44 and cabin air filter $20.29 at Autobarn 30% off sale on the weekend.

Just removed and installed both on car. 36k kms so were just about due.

Its a 2 minute job on for the cabin filter that the dealers charge near $70 including parts to do.

Both filters replaced were a bit dirty so worth doing.

Is this a high end engine air filter to be $38.44? I think the last OEM quality one I ordered on Amazon was closer to $10 or $11. Charcoal cabin filter was around the same.

As for the engine air box filter replacement...yeah it takes a bit getting used to, but you can simply unlatch the two metal clips in front and then the top cover can slip forward from the back and out and you can access the filter. Don't need to unscrew anything.

Last edited:
Come to Australia and you will find out what we have to pay for spare parts..... these were Ryco standard aftermarket filters made to OEM specs.

Mazda dealers sell OEM engine air filter for about $69, and cabin air filter is about $56.

This is a diesel engine so the engine air filter box and associated connections may be different from gas engined vehicles you are used to. In any case, once I figured it out it was simple just to loosen the air hose connection, slide it off, and then slide it back on when the filter was installed.

Last edited:
Installed both Front and Rear Dash Cams today.

Used Thinkware, F800 and F800R,

The front was very easy. The rear took a while threading the cable to the back window. Wanted to do it right.

69pYpXR.jpg

hkYV69t.jpg

Back