New owner, traded in new CRV

Nah man, those cars are legit. My grandparents have always owned Avalons (optioned up Camry's), and their last one has 367K miles on it. Their current one only has around 200ish?. They do book scheduled maintenance and that's it. The cars just don't break.
Agreed. Several friends buy only Camry simply because their Camrys have been so reliable which makes them keep buying it with no worries.

Everyone's experience varies.
My 2001 Odyssey's transmission failed at 70k.
I took good care of my cars with regular maintenance.

My Mazdas (4 of them so far) have all been solid.
Traded in one at 80k. Three in my house now.

Last edited:

Known issue though.

Known issue though.
Yes. Not like Toyota, Hondas reliability and engineering innovation have been going south since then. Consumer Reports reliability rating has been correctly reflected the poorer reliability on Honda for recent years.

Exactly. We have had two Toyota's and they all had issues. My WRX and my Outback all required major repairs outside of warranty. Our Hondas were very reliable and except for one issue (AC eating issue, 4K to repair), have always been reliable. My CX-5 was my first Mazda and I did not know what to expect. So much so, that I purchased the extended warranty just in case. Turned out to be the most reliable and lest expensive car to maintain out of any car I have ever owned. Go figure.

Exactly. We have had two Toyota's and they all had issues. My WRX and my Outback all required major repairs outside of warranty. Our Hondas were very reliable and except for one issue (AC eating issue, 4K to repair), have always been reliable. My CX-5 was my first Mazda and I did not know what to expect. So much so, that I purchased the extended warranty just in case. Turned out to be the most reliable and lest expensive car to maintain out of any car I have ever owned. Go figure.

Problem here is, you are looking at a Sample of 1-2. A girl I spoke with yesterday was made at her Jeep Patriot. Apparently a sensor has gone bad after almost 200K miles, rofl! So are Jeep Patriots the most reliable ever? Doubt it.

To be fair, our MID software on Mazdas is a sub-par product.
Shame on Mazda.
Other than that, no issues so far on all Mazdas I have owned or still own.

Last edited:
Problem here is, you are looking at a Sample of 1-2. A girl I spoke with yesterday was made at her Jeep Patriot. Apparently a sensor has gone bad after almost 200K miles, rofl! So are Jeep Patriots the most reliable ever? Doubt it.

No but that is the point. Reports about reliability are meaningless unless it impacts you. There was a guy in the CX-9 threads who will never buy a Mazda again because of his lemon CX-9. Are CX-9's un-reliable? According to CR, no, but to that guy, yes!

All people need is to have 1 or (gasp) 2 cars from a brand be unreliable and it will make them look elsewhere.

All people need is to have 1 or (gasp) 2 cars from a brand be unreliable and it will make them look elsewhere.

So true. Never looking at Ford again after what I went through with my 2012 Focus. Didn*t surprise me when they announced they were getting out of the sedan market. Due to lack of demand for that type of vehicle? Ha! BS. Because Ford simply can not compete effectively in that field.

And my buddy with his Fusion is pissed off Ford won't make cars anymore as it's the most reliable thing he's ever owned.

And my buddy with his Fusion is pissed off Ford won't make cars anymore as it's the most reliable thing he's ever owned.

That sucks for him, lol! That*s how I felt about my 05 Focus so I wanted to stick with what worked. All is well that ends well though. Wouldn*t have my CX5 if it were not for my 2012 Focus debacle.

So true. Never looking at Ford again after what I went through with my 2012 Focus. Didn*t surprise me when they announced they were getting out of the sedan market. Due to lack of demand for that type of vehicle? Ha! BS. Because Ford simply can not compete effectively in that field.

What happened with your Focus?

I have a couple of co-workers with Focus ST's. Will have to ask them if they've had any issues.

Dealer could not resolve an issue with a vibration/hum between 40-70 mph. Sounded like bad wheel bearings, but they couldn*t isolate the source. Could feel it through the floor and the sound was mind numbing. Electronic Power steering died and needed replacement while going through those issues. Long story short, don*t have the car anymore after only a couple thousand miles of ownership. Funny enough I never had the transmission issues I read about.

Queue my coworker. I believe he has a 2013 Focus. On his second or third transmission due to violent shifts.

And, depending on what year his Fusion is, it might actually be a Mazda 6 under the skin.

How so? I had a 2006 Fusion that my parents are now driving since I bought my Cx5. Funny if I've owned a 'Mazda' all these years and didn't know it!

What happened with your Focus?

I have a couple of co-workers with Focus ST's. Will have to ask them if they've had any issues.

I looked at the fast awd focus, i think its the ST, but am fuzzy on the particular model.350hp one. Anyway, their forum is awash in engine failures and serious issues.

I looked at the fast awd focus, i think its the ST, but am fuzzy on the particular model.350hp one. Anyway, their forum is awash in engine failures and serious issues.

Focus RS. That is one amazing little car. Didn't realize they were having engine issues though.

Back