What have you done to your CX-5 today?

They finally unblocked the mazdas247 site at my work. I couldn't get on for a month or two. Anyway, last weekend, washed the AEM dryflow air filter and put on the OEM air filter for a day, until the dryflow filter was dry and it was put back on.

Anyway, last weekend, washed the AEM dryflow air filter and put on the OEM air filter for a day, until the dryflow filter was dry and it was put back on.

Yeah its a good idea to keep the stock one at hand.

They finally unblocked the mazdas247 site at my work. I couldn't get on for a month or two. Anyway, last weekend, washed the AEM dryflow air filter and put on the OEM air filter for a day, until the dryflow filter was dry and it was put back on.

What's the difference between these filters? Just that the one is washable and reusable?

What's the difference between these filters? Just that the one is washable and reusable?

For the most part.

The AEM does allow the engine to breathe better too. No decrease in power/mpg for sure. Take it from a guy living in the desert- Actual Filtration is good. The MAF, inside of tube piping, and air box post filter is clean.

Every oil change I just tap a couple times to remove dirt. Every 3 oil changes I wash it. Mines are 2 and 5 years old respectively. I believe its a made in USA product. Should last the life of the car.

For the most part.

The AEM does allow the engine to breathe better too. No decrease in power/mpg for sure. Take it from a guy living in the desert- Actual Filtration is good. The MAF, inside of tube piping, and air box post filter is clean.

Every oil change I just tap a couple times to remove dirt. Every 3 oil changes I wash it. Mines are 2 and 5 years old respectively. I believe its a made in USA product. Should last the life of the car.

Nice. I will have to pick one up. Being higher altitude, I like the idea of the engine being able to breath better and being able to just wash it.

Is the filter REALLY a restriction on a 6100ish rpm redline 2.5L engine? Call me doubtful. I've had cars making nearly 300% this much power, and at 1000rpm higher, and their filters weren't much larger.

Is the filter REALLY a restriction on a 6100ish rpm redline 2.5L engine? Call me doubtful. I've had cars making nearly 300% this much power, and at 1000rpm higher, and their filters weren't much larger.

Eh I looked back on my tuning laptop for old datalogs.. I found a file from apr 2015 referring to a panel filter (likely was the JBR at the time). Max g/s airflow was 154. I couldn't find a file for the stock panel so it's useless. Maybe sometime soon I'll do a retest and log them again, back to back.

Eh I looked back on my tuning laptop for old datalogs.. I found a file from apr 2015 referring to a panel filter (likely was the JBR at the time). Max g/s airflow was 154. I couldn't find a file for the stock panel so it's useless. Maybe sometime soon I'll do a retest and log them again, back to back.

Is that actual or theoretical?

Is that actual or theoretical?
That number was from a file I found called "longpanel" which was around the time I was sending an email about comparing them. Problem is I don't remember and I didn't really label it well, so I don't know exactly what panel filter that is.

I got this file from an email I sent in april 2015.. older tune of course, I know for sure this was a high flow (jbr I believe) filter. I can't identify a file that is for sure a stock filter.

log.png

For me it is more a convenience than a power mod (which it isn't). Washable means I don't have to keep buying new paper air filters. If it helps the engine breathe better, that is a bonus.

Power aside, all engines were designed to operate with a clean filter. Otherwise manufacturers would sell us some lifetime filter crap :)

Besides engines are just like vacuums. Should the vacuum filter be clogged you lose suction/power.

For me it is more a convenience than a power mod (which it isn't). Washable means I don't have to keep buying new paper air filters. If it helps the engine breathe better, that is a bonus.

Same here for my Integra. An OE-style paper replacement filter is like $30-$35, or it was 15+ years ago, and for me back then that was just too much. I spent a few bucks more on a K&N filter to put in the stock airbox, and today I still have the same filter on the car, 17 years and around 275,000 miles later. I haven't yet looked into washable filters for the CX-5 yet. A Fram replacement doesn't cost all that much.

I don't trust washing to remove the small particulate that truly harms an engine and/or cuts down on flow rates in a filter year after year when you get it wet, etc. It's also very fast for me to just change out the filter, and I'm more about my time. Oilable filters are the worst, though. My favorites are replaceable synthetics like the Cosworth filters, although I don't think they make them for the CX5.

What is this "small particulate that truly harms the engine" nonsense? Any particles able to actually get through a filter are not going to harm your engine unless the filter is damaged.
I'm with you on the time thing having just replaced my filter with an oem.
If it actually truly benefitted the engine, like add a foot pound or three I'd use aftermarket but otherwise. Nah.

I don't trust washing to remove the small particulate that truly harms an engine and/or cuts down on flow rates in a filter year after year when you get it wet, etc. It's also very fast for me to just change out the filter, and I'm more about my time. Oilable filters are the worst, though. My favorites are replaceable synthetics like the Cosworth filters, although I don't think they make them for the CX5.

How so? I have 275,000 miles on an "oilable" filter, with 365,000 miles on the engine.

Back