US Diesel's big splash introduction

Not necessary to me. Traditional automatic transmission feels different from CVT. I'm happy Honda has decided to dump its CVT from some models. Besides, Honda now should have learned the lesson that out-sourcing doesn't mean a good choice. This new 10-speed auto tranny could be developed in house, not from ZF anymore! I wish Mazda would come out a new SkyActiv-Drive 10-speed automatic transmission like Honda!

Exactly. It's called giving customers options. Multiple transmission options(CVT/10 speed/6 speed manual), multiple engine choices(1.5T/2.0T/2.4 NA).

Thanks. 310 would be great. 372 would be, well, greater!

310 is what you should be getting as standard.

Its the only figure here in OZ and in the UK, its on the higher grade diesel option (base is 280 ft/lb)

Thanks honda for all your bad transmission choices (save their manuals). 10 speeds must be better than 9 (braindead

ZF has an excellent reputation in the UK, fitted in a lot of UK cars, including the Honda CRV with a 9 speed auto for some years now.

Problems are usually in house electronics from what I've read.

Not necessary to me. Traditional automatic transmission feels different from CVT. I'm happy Honda has decided to dump its CVT from some models. Besides, Honda now should have learned the lesson that out-sourcing doesn't mean a good choice. This new 10-speed auto tranny could be developed in house, not from ZF anymore! I wish Mazda would come out a new SkyActiv-Drive 10-speed automatic transmission like Honda!

ZF has an excellent reputation in the UK, fitted in a lot of UK cars, including the Honda CRV with a 9 speed auto for some years now.

Problems are usually in house electronics from what I've read.
Yes I noticed that Honda uses 9-speed (of 10-speed?) auto instead of CVT on 2017 CR-V in Europe. Can't be just for fuel efficiency as 9-speed/10-speed auto has excellent fuel economy ratings.

Thanks honda for all your bad transmission choices (save their manuals). 10 speeds must be better than 9 (braindead
Yes, in theory 10-speed auto is definitely better than 9, and both of them are much better than 6-speed auto if you designed it correctly.

I have no complaints on my Honda auto tranny as it has served me for 19 years and 178K miles on my CR-V. The key is Honda specifies ATF drain and fill maintenance interval but many Honda owners choose to ignore it, unfortunately. Who is to blame?

^^Oh definitely the owner and historically they're good my old 5sp was pretty good, did the maint, never an issue. My issue is more recently they seem like they're cobbling things together before ironing out the kinks. Yes, ZF makes good transmissions which i can attest to but if the implementation of a good unit sucks it still kinda sucks. Let's just agree to disagree on more cogs = better. Mazdas lone 6 speed auto is excellent but it could benefit from 1 or possibly 2 more gears..more than that is just overkill.

Are you referring to an ECU upgrade? Who sells them for the Mazda CX-5 diesel? (There are two outfits that sell "stage 1" upgrades for the diesel TDI engines, that have many, many, good reviews from owners.)

Give it time and the USA tuners will start doing it.

Just did a quick search for OZ and found this:

Capture.jpg

Conversion for torque figures:

From 310 ft/lb to 372 ft/lb

There are others out there

USA tuner is already doing it, and highly reputable...OVT, Orange Virus Tuning

https://www.ovtuned.com

[Q for US people] How much does your motor insurance increase for pretty much a 20% hike in power?

[Q for US people] How much does your motor insurance increase for pretty much a 20% hike in power?
Won't make any difference. Usually the States don't care the size or the power rating of the engine and the tax and insurance are calculated based on general vehicle category and model.

None. Considering with a FI motor, leaning it out provides a lot of the power, so equivalent or even boosted gas numbers can result also...no pun intended.

USA tuner is already doing it, and highly reputable...OVT, Orange Virus Tuning

https://www.ovtuned.com

there are a couple of guys from Europe on the mazda3 forum with tuned (various tuning solutions) 2.2 diesel (wrong wheel drive, but still). I saw one guy with 208bhp and 366 ft lb with a JDM Odura aftermarket intercooler. He believes at this point the limiting factor is turbo size.

there are a couple of guys from Europe on the mazda3 forum with tuned (various tuning solutions) 2.2 diesel (wrong wheel drive, but still). I saw one guy with 208bhp and 366 ft lb with a JDM Odura aftermarket intercooler. He believes at this point the limiting factor is turbo size.
Still not bad figures there

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

The two-stage turbo system is definitely the limiting factor. Not a fan at all when it comes to making serious power. The first one is way small to begin with, and couple it with an even smaller one to boot, and it's like bottle necking a factory production line. No thanks...

Back