Power liftgate won't open after unlock

bigtoes18

:
2016 CX-5
I have a Mazda CX-5, 2016, sport. The liftgate won't open after unlock, and the car was with the engine off and the shift in park position. It happens serval times already. In the morning, I pressed the unlock bottom on the key twice, and heard that both the driver's and passengers' door unlocked, and the passengers door can be opened easily. But when I pressed the knob near the rear view camera on the ligtfate, like what I did hundreds times in past two years, the liftgate stuck, and it never open. I also tried the unlock bottom on the driver's door. Even I tried to lock and unlock for ten times, it still won't open. If I leave it alone, and drive it to work anyway, it opens. That happens occasionally.

Show this to the dealer three weeks ago! And they said it's some problem with the electrical shortage and they replaced the lock part on the liftgate. But, this happens again immeditely this morning. Drive to the dealer, but the problem was gone. Anyone has the same problem? Don't know what to do.

Thanks!

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the power liftgate only been available since 2017 on the new KF CX-5 and not on the 1st generation (scratch)

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the power liftgate only been available since 2017 on the new KF CX-5 and not on the 1st generation (scratch)

Correct.

However, it sounds like the actual issue is just unlocking it.

I have the exact same issue on my 2016 cx5 sport. Every time I drove it to the dealer, it wokred okay. The dealer replaced the liftgate lock anyway. But its still happening.

I have the exact same issue on my 2016 cx5 sport. Every time I drove it to the dealer, it wokred okay. The dealer replaced the liftgate lock anyway. But it’s still happening.

What exactly is occuring (uhm)

Is the lock not unlocking (uhm)

Can you elaborate please

I have the exact same issue as the poster. I pressed my remote key twice to unlock all the doors. Then I tried to open the liftgate and it wont open. There was no sound from the acurator and it looked like its still in locked position. After I drove it for a while even started the engine for while, it worked okay again. This happens more often when its cold outside.

I have the exact same issue as the poster. I pressed my remote key twice to unlock all the doors. Then I tried to open the liftgate and it won’t open. There was no sound from the acurator and it looked like it’s still in locked position. After I drove it for a while even started the engine for while, it worked okay again. This happens more often when it’s cold outside.

Thank you :)

Wonder if a control unit might need to be replaced

Thank you :)

Wonder if a control unit might need to be replaced
Thats what I am thinking, too. I will try to ask my dealer to see if they can replace the control unit which unlock the door.

I even asked Mazda North America. They told me to come back to them when it happens more often...

That’s what I am thinking, too. I will try to ask my dealer to see if they can replace the control unit which unlock the door.

I even asked Mazda North America. They told me to come back to them when it happens more often...
Keep an eye on it and then straight to them

Correct.

However, it sounds like the actual issue is just unlocking it.
The title by OP is misleading. The 1st-gen CX-5 doesn't have "power" liftgate. The OP obviously meant the "manual" liftgate with power actuator for lock mechanism.

I wonder when Mazda dealers replacing power lock unit on those problematic liftgates, did they include the micro switch which activates the lock or not? That micro switch should be the culprit as the symptom is temperature related if the micro switch has some intermittent bad connection inside.

The title by OP is misleading. The 1st-gen CX-5 doesn't have "power" liftgate. The OP obviously meant the "manual" liftgate with power actuator for lock mechanism.

I wonder when Mazda dealers replacing power lock unit on those problematic liftgates, did they include the micro switch which activates the lock or not? That micro switch should be the culprit as the symptom is temperature related if the micro switch has some intermittent bad connection inside.

My dealer only replaced the lock acurator G33M-62-310B. By micro switch, do you mean RELEASE SWITCH - MAZDA (KD53-62-4B0A)?

Thank you.

It looks like my car is fixed. Seems to be a software issue in the liftgate control module. The dealer reset it and it's working fine now.

Liftgate won't open after unlock

My dealer only replaced the lock acurator G33M-62-310B. By micro switch, do you mean RELEASE SWITCH - MAZDA (KD53-62-4B0A)?

Thank you.
If by replacing Lock Actuator G33M-62-310B didnt resolve the issue, especially if the symptom is temperature related, Id believe the Liftgate Lock Switch KD53-62-4B0A should be the next logical suspect. To me resetting control module, or resetting the software inside the control module shouldnt help as the software wouldnt get affected by temperature change. But it does seem to fix the problem for you at this time but If I were you Id keep my eye on it for a while making sure the problem is truly fixed.

Back