US Diesel's big splash introduction

Diesel issue here was previous model and that was early ones. Later half don't appear to suffer.

Anchorman can also provide more info as he has KF diesel

Last edited:
Doesn't sound too promising for the US Diesel when posts like this are showing up in Europe & Australia:

Hi Guys ... wondering how many of you have had issues or engine replacements with your CX5 2.2 diesel. I recently had an issue with mine and when I took it to the dealer they said it was probably a blown motor coz they've had a few... hmmmm mine is an 2015 make... wondering if they were referring to the older models.

As it was it was a minor issue that they corrected... but now I'm worried about the long term viabilty of my much loved CX5 after the warantee runs out in 6 months.

Any comments welcome ! PS. car has 60000km on it and had an easy life with lots of country driving.

They are a troublesome motor. We replace 1 at our dealership about every two weeks.

Yeah, but that is a single post with unverified posts. Is there any real data showing this engine is more troublesome than other diesels? I know there is data showing that diesels in general are more work than gas engines.

Yeah, but that is a single post with unverified posts. Is there any real data showing this engine is more troublesome than other diesels? I know there is data showing that diesels in general are more work than gas engines.

There's an aussie forum that had a thread of issues but this related to the early 1st gen diesels in the CX-5

Last edited:

My question would be IF the diesel was trouble free and ready then WHY has it been delayed for 5 years? It was due to come out in the USA way back in 2013 and here we are in 2018 and still nothing.

To add insult to injury, the diesel market in the USA has greatly diminished since the VW Dieselgate. Most Americans don't want to mess with DEF, emissions, cold starts, etc. that comes with diesel engines. The higher costs of ownership and the higher maintenance issues.

Last edited:
Has any of you guys experienced that pedal to the metal? Did you guys felt a "button" after flooring the pedal wherein it sorta like gives you another "boost"?

Has any of you guys experienced that pedal to the metal? Did you guys felt a "button" after flooring the pedal wherein it sorta like gives you another "boost"?

Oh yeah. That's the mysterious Z-spot. (drive2)

My question would be IF the diesel was trouble free and ready then WHY has it been delayed for 5 years? It was due to come out in the USA way back in 2013 and here we are in 2018 and still nothing.

To add insult to injury, the diesel market in the USA has greatly diminished since the VW Dieselgate. Most Americans don't want to mess with DEF, emissions, cold starts, etc. that comes with diesel engines. The higher costs of ownership and the higher maintenance issues.

There are most likely lots of reasons why Mazda never brought the diesel to the USA. They successfully sell them all over the world, so if there was some major problem, I am sure there would be data.

I do agree that dealers don't like DEF fluid. My dealers also went into some rant about the particulate filter (our something like that) and how expensive it is to replace. His point was people are willing to properly service a 50K+ diesel car but not a 30K+ diesel car. Put simply, cheap diesel cars are nothing but problems for everyone involved. His feelings not mine. He is pushing me to give up waiting and get into a CX-9 or the new Mazda 6 signature.

The delay has nothing to do with any issues. It has to do with USA pollution regulations and the fact diesel market there is small.

So what's wrong with the Mazda diesel, other manufactures have got through the red tape, but not Mazda after a year, why?

The delay has nothing to do with any issues. It has to do with USA pollution regulations and the fact diesel market there is small.

Actually, we don't know that. We know nothing of why the car is delayed. Heck, we have no idea if it will even be ever brought to the USA.

Anything is speculation at this point. I speculate that Xeler8 is right though. Why?

Deisel CX-5s have existed for years. What's so special about the USA version?

Its a different version to ours, we have no piss tank to fill. But still meet euro6.

Anything is speculation at this point. I speculate that Xeler8 is right though. Why?

Deisel CX-5s have existed for years. What's so special about the USA version?

Actually, we don't know that. We know nothing of why the car is delayed. Heck, we have no idea if it will even be ever brought to the USA.
Yes it's speculation but seems the regulations could be the issue otherwise would have been available. The rest of the CX-5 is fine. There is no other major changes made other than larger brakes and possibly gearing (don't have the brochure at hand to check the ratio information)

Last edited:
Mazda's last responses to me implied that Mazda itself may not be happy with the design. It was more vague than earlier replies and sounded almost exactly the same as the wording they used when the Mazda 6 was at a similar degree of lateness for introducing the diesel version in the US. I quoted their replay earlier in this thread.

That was the last straw that led me to go ahead and buy a 2018 2.5g model. I can find no evidence that Mazda ever publicly acknowledged that they'd given up on introducing a Mazda 6 in the US. So when they changed their tune to the vague commitment to diesel and removed the reference to 2017 or any other date or time frame, I decided the odds of it coming at all, let alone any time soon, were not good.

I don't have a long history with Mazda, so I could be misinterpreting how they do things, but that's how I saw it.

So what's wrong with the Mazda diesel, other manufactures have got through the red tape, but not Mazda after a year, why?

Don't know. Maybe has to do with not enough resources (uhm)

Maybe a lack of resources due to a lack of commitment. Maybe all the effort to certify a diesel isn't worth it for just one vehicle. It might also be something about the design of this particular engine that makes it very hard to bring some emissions parameter below a certain level. It is rather unique in having a low compression ratio, although that is theorized to result in lower NOx so you'd think it would help. My best guess is that they thought it would be easy, just add urea injection and viola it would pass, and when it turned out to be harder, they weren't committed to investing the additional effort.

All the US Mazda fans know is that it is 5 years delayed from the initial announcement. That doesn't instill confidence. Even IF it comes out in the USA. I would wait 2 years before I would feel confident about it and let other people "test" it out and get mileage on it. I don't like being a guinea pig on new designs. Mazda should have numerous test mules driving around in the USA for a year before they release it to the public but I know Mazda will not do that as it costs $$$ and it would delay it for another 1-2 years.

Back