Thinking of buying a CX-5 but I have some questions first.

I didn't go bank-vault levels but wanted to reach a good compromise of quietness and not adding too much weight. Mission accomplished :)
Just a small suggestion. When I did my other car, I put soft silicone tubes through the stick-on seals. This gave them additional sealing power, particularly during winter months. Doors are closing just fine.

Just a small suggestion. When I did my other car, I put soft silicone tubes through the stick-on seals. This gave them additional sealing power, particularly during winter months. Doors are closing just fine.

...Hey thanks for the tip. I tried/failed using foam to slide into the door seals (see below) but could not let the door close properly....let alone hard to slide into seals. So silicone tubes huh? How the heck you got the silicone tube to run through?

35466e61-4507-498f-9e74-5a5dd6bfbb8e_1.abb4afc3675123dcf2952c8ccb927d2f.jpeg

...Hey thanks for the tip. I tried/failed using foam to slide into the door seals (see below) but could not let the door close properly....let alone hard to slide into seals. So silicone tubes huh? How the heck you got the silicone tube to run through?
I went through the same ordeal with foam tubes and abandoned the idea rather quickly. For tubes, use the steel fishing string and lube the inside of the seals with silicone lube. Keep lubing the tube as you pull it through the seal.
They sell special water-base lube, I got mine at Home Depot.
Get only silicone tubes, PVC doesn't work, too hard when cold.

Last edited:
-Infotainment system Part 1: Since the cupholders are right near the infotainment controls, have you ever spilled anything on the infotainment controls since buying the CX-5?

Good question. I love the control knob and the volume knob......hence refuse to place drinks near there for fear of spilling. If anything I have bottle water in the side door container.

Its all pretty damn waterproof. Wouldn't that be a ridiculously bad design if liquid could destroy that? Especially being under the sunroof.
/Source: left my sunroof open and it rained like a mother before I could get out to it... Everything works like new.

Its all pretty damn waterproof. Wouldn't that be a ridiculously bad design if liquid could destroy that? Especially being under the sunroof.
/Source: left my sunroof open and it rained like a mother before I could get out to it... Everything works like new.
Rain water and soft drink are different. Soft drink would leave sticky residue which may cause issues on our infotainment control. I remember one member posted his painful experience on this before.

Rain water and soft drink are different. Soft drink would leave sticky residue which may cause issues on our infotainment control. I remember one member posted his painful experience on this before.

Sticky yuk AND contains electrolytes.

Or may not, King of the Pessimists. [emoji16] Maybe it could be cleaned with water.
Regardless, not using the cupholders out of fear of spillage? They are pretty damn good cupholders.

Last edited:
I "wish" the cupholders were on the passenger side rather than toward the back as they are on my 17. Tall drinks with straws interfere with access to the controllers. Is it the same layout on the KEs?

ANND it rained in my car again just now. Sigh... thank god for leather seats. :D
(Sunroof closed this time, nowhere near as bad as last time)

-Infotainment system Part 1: Since the cupholders are right near the infotainment controls, have you ever spilled anything on the infotainment controls since buying the CX-5?

Good question. I love the control knob and the volume knob......hence refuse to place drinks near there for fear of spilling. If anything I have bottle water in the side door container.

Haven't used them yet. I don't drink and drive (lol2)

New to the site, my first post.

Have a 2017 2.2d gsx. This has seen our return to Mazda after a few decades. Also our first SUV. Basically my wife is the primary driver. We have a 5 year old daughter that's in a full child seat and wanted enough room for car seat and 4 adults for holiday time. Wife previously had a BMW 328i which was marginal with child seat and front seat passenger.

It took a while to choose the cx5. Was thinking more along the lines of last years BMW x3 with either 20D or 3.0 twin turbo. This became our price / quality benchmark . Colour was also important to wife with red being the first choice which lead us to notice Mazda's Crystal red. We checked out the 2016.5 cx5 but the interior and noticeable body roll compared to x3 didn't quite do it. However , the 2018 model had just hit the show room. The revamped interior hit the mark and the improvements in sound deadening and better drive made it a serious contender.

The dealer let us take out various combinations of spec and engines. I preferred the torque of the diesel and the wife preferred the ride on the 17s.. Briefly considered a cx-9 but was a bit tight garage wise and car parks are narrow in New Zealand.
Wifes final choice was a gsx 2.2d. Crystal red

So we've had it 7 months and have covered 10,000kms.The cx-5 has averaged 7.0 lhkm or 34 us mpg. ( we briefing won a small 1.4 car which only managed 6.3 so Mazda is fantastic in that regard)

Space, ran two car seats for a while, one rear facing, plenty of room upfront and to get 18 month and 5 y/o in and out of car. Rear seats at a good height to lift kids in and out of seats. Trunk space has been fine with holiday packing. More room than pervious BMW 328i

Driving, great to drive, soaks up our roads well (wife found 19s a bit firm on demo cars) and steering / cornering pose great for SUV (felt more nible than BMW X3). Performance wise its adequate (I have a BMW M3), Safe enough for overtaking and I believe the torque or midrange of the diesel is far better than petrol version. Ive driven about 3500kms on holiday trips.
Seems fine in light snow and wet grass on standard tyres.

Resale.... not sure but not a factor for us.

Infotainment , quite a good platform and easy to use. Pairs fine with our iPhones (6&X) no car play, but I'm not necessarily a fan of CP. Use a 32 gig USB stick with 50- 60 CDs which are in various codecs . Indexing of tracks each type car starts is annoying , can take a minute or two for it get through. Also has issues playing apple lossless format from time to time. No doubt future update will sort. Speaker wise ours has the two way fronts and single rear. Mid bass is boomy but rest of range is ok. Post warranty i'll replace speakers add sub and amps but still run factory head.

Anyway ... hopefully my rambling is of some use.

Back