02 PR5 Crank, No Start

Just got off the phone with the guy I purchased the car from. He said the motor came from a car with abs but the trans did not come from a car with abs. Would that make any difference?

That means your transmission should have the speedo gear, and your harness should have the connector on it to plug into the speedo gear.
The connector on the harness may be different and may need to be changed.
Check your harnesses and look for connectors that aren't plugged in to anything.

Last edited:
...the motor came from a car with abs but the trans did not come from a car with abs...

Thinking about this some more and I don't know if the harness is part of your engine and transmission or if it is part of your original car.

Either way, check all of your harnesses and look for any connectors that aren't plugged in to anything.
Write down the colors of the wires going to them and I can try to make sense of them.

The TPS connector should just plug right in, there is no difference based on engine or transmission,... There is a pink wire with a black stripe going to it.

The connector for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) has a few different types,.. Some two wires, some three.

Hello friends, right now I have the same issue as PR5Zach. The only difference is that I have a 2003 P5 and the check engine light is not on when I put the key on ignition. Car cranks, I don't have spark and I don't hear the fuel pump going on. The PCM location at the passanger side is a bit wet, not soaking wet but it is. Could it be the PCM as well? Thanks in advance.

You could remove your PCM, open it up and take a look inside.
If you find water or corrosion inside the PCM then there's a really good chance your PCM is bad.
Inspect the big connector for corrosion and bad connections too.

if you can turn the key on (but not start) and the check engine light does NOT come on, then 99.9% your computer is toast. there's always an off cahnce of a bad connection somewhere but that's pretty unlikely. especially if the computer is wet, it's probably fried.

Hi again, I've tried to open the computer but I don't have the proper tool to open it up. I try to do that later. Now, pin connector looks fine, I didn't fine any corrosion on it. Aslo, fuses and relays are ok and the grounds I manage to find look good. Something I didn't notice before is that the battery light doesnt come on when putting the key on ignition. If I remember correctly it has to light up. I think I will try to get a mechanic to come to my house to inspect the car, or try to take the pcm for checking . Thank you guys for your anwsers.

Edit: A friend tried to connect a scanner but it showed that it was unable to connect/ an error occurred. I guess the pcm?

Last edited:
A quick update if someone finds it useful. The computer was the problem, got some used ones and the car started normally. It seems tho, that I got the wrong computer for the car, because the gear selector at the instrument cluster is not working. It only shows the gear you're at (P, R, N, D, M), when i go to D or M. The tiptronic is not working either, the car is always at third gear, even when I give it full gas the car doesn't change gears and the gear show panel doesn't work at M it doens't show any numer at the cluster panel (1,2,34) and it never shifts.

Also when I get the car in R or D, the transmission kicks hard and it makes a worrying sound. I'm still trying to find the right computer and I'm even thinking that maybe it needs prior configuration to for right. If anyone knows something about this it would really help. Thanks in advance.

I'm just guessing but as far as I know, tiptronic was only available in 2003 models.

Perhaps your computer is from 2002 and doesn't have the software to run tiptronic.

I had the crank no-start issue for about 9 months after also buying an 02 P5 that wasn't running. After spending a ridiculous amount of time diagnosing and replacing parts in the crap-shoot that it was...it ended up being the main relay for the fuel system was bad. (Green one) it was only like $13 from rock auto, and now it fires every time.

I originally thought it was the black fuel pump relay right above that one, because I could get the fuel pump to engage by manually making the connection by forcing the relay to make contact with the key in on position. Then I noticed it wouldn't do it every time. I noticed when I wiggled the green main relay it would make a clicking sound, and then I could run the pump by forcing the black fuel pump relay. Clearly a connection issue somewhere between those two, so I just bought both and nothing changed when I put I the fuel pump relay, so i put in the main relay and ALAS! immediate gratification! ha.
Kind of annoying that it was something so stupid and inexpensive, but I'll take that over stupid and expensive any day. Has started every time on the first try since.

You might want to put some dielectric grease on the pins of your new relay.
There is a lot of current going through that relay and any bad connection on a pin will create arcing and heat.

The connector the relay plugs into may be carboned up as well and the dielectric grease can help preserve the connection.
Plugging your relay in and out a few times can help make a better connection too.

I took a picture of my fuse box in my parts car with the fuel pump and main relay removed...

The connection points are all melted and bad.
You might want to try some electrical contact cleaner first then some dielectric grease...

Years later and I’m glad to see that some people are making use of this thread! I still have the car but it’s on jackstands xD, completely rebuilt short block with an upgraded valve train as well. @pcb I can’t thank you enough for dealing with my uneducated adolescence, I’m a certified technician now and can figure out that kind of stuff on my own these days! Hope everyone’s P5’s are alive and well!

Attachments

• 002F5EFF-B515-40BC-A4C9-5F76F9D19DAA.jpeg
    002F5EFF-B515-40BC-A4C9-5F76F9D19DAA.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 120
  • 4D48AA6F-E343-48D0-9B50-D77A788AF1D9.jpeg
    4D48AA6F-E343-48D0-9B50-D77A788AF1D9.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 115
Thanks Zach.

I've been an amateur for almost 40 years now.

I took one automotive course in grade 10, and hated it.

The teacher was an ass.

I got the highest grade of the entire class, and he wrote "you can do better" on my report card.
Apparently, I have an attitude problem. Lol

Back