Autolock not always locking

I think he is 100% on money.

I don't. Replacing the car is the "nuclear option" and should be reserved for a defect that seriously reduces the usability and value of the purchase. Your Mazda has more than 100 features. Some of critical and the car is useless without it - engine, brakes, windows, doors, etc. Virtually nobody would put auto lock in that category. It's unreasonable to expect a company to give you a new car because the auto lock doesn't work 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times.

I can see getting an allowance of some kind, but the whole car? I doubt you'd replace the entire car if you were the company that made the car and were responsible for the costs. These are the kinds of expectations that drive up the costs of cars.

I don't. Replacing the car is the "nuclear option" and should be reserved for a defect that seriously reduces the usability and value of the purchase. Your Mazda has more than 100 features. Some of critical and the car is useless without it - engine, brakes, windows, doors, etc. Virtually nobody would put auto lock in that category. It's unreasonable to expect a company to give you a new car because the auto lock doesn't work 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times.

I can see getting an allowance of some kind, but the whole car? I doubt you'd replace the entire car if you were the company that made the car and were responsible for the costs. These are the kinds of expectations that drive up the costs of cars.
+1

FWIW, I haven't had the door locking issue for a couple of weeks - I did two things that may have resolved it and am not sure which. I replaced the batteries but as one poster said, if having it in your pocket was sufficient enough to unlock the door why wouldn't it lock - but hey, weak batteries can cause all kinds of fun.

The other one that may be more likely is I replaced a cellphone that I kept on my belt (old school I know) with a newer one that I keep in my suit pocket. So the phone is not as close to the keys anymore.

I hope that one of these two options helps others - it is nice not to have to take your keys out. I would think soon we would just have fingerprint locks and start buttons and then no more keys (or batteries).

I had a new CX-3 last December which for many reasons was graciously replaced with a new CX-5 this past March. Mazda was very understanding and cordial about the whole thing.

But there are still many little irritations about these vehicles. For instance, the Bluetooth range is a joke: if you are more than 4 feet from the vehicle, the system does not see your phone and will not connect. I had the car running last week, went to get something in my house, came back, got in, and the stupid BT wouldn't connect my phone. My Cadillac has a BT range of 50 feet!

Yes, I've had the "I think I'll lock your doors now, but then again, maybe I won't" issue since getting this CX-5. Sometimes it's based on where you are. If I go to my Starbuck's, for some reason, it won't lock. Of course the system is set up so that if you get out and walk around back, that rear sensor knows you're still near the car and won't finish the locking process. But if you get out and go around the front of the vehicle, it will finish the locking process.

It's quite annoying since you're "trained" by the idiosyncrasies of the vehicle to listen for that second beep to ensure the doors locked. If Mazda is going to offer a way to auto-lock, it should work consistently.

UPDATE...just went out to unsuccessfully update Gracenote (guess the dealer has to do it). Got in the passenger side and when I got out and walked away, no locking sequence. Doors remained unlocked until I use the fob. Dumb ass car.

Last edited:
I had the same issue (occasionally not autolocking). I disabled the feature and now lock manually via the keyfob or button on the door handle.

I just got a 2016 CX-5 Sport and am desparately afraid my girlfriend will be locked out by this stupid feature.

Can you explain how to disable it? Can't find it in the manual.

I believe you mean if it's inside AND RECOGNIZED. Some have been locked out in error so there is an issue.

I can easily do without this push buttom ignition (and the expensive keys that come with it), all the auto-lock features and this one in particular. I'm old school. But, we bought this car so I'm working around it's "deficiencies".

I believe you mean if it's inside AND RECOGNIZED. Some have been locked out in error so there is an issue.

I can easily do without this push buttom ignition (and the expensive keys that come with it), all the auto-lock features and this one in particular. I'm old school. But, we bought this car so I'm working around it's "deficiencies".

The Sport trim does not have this feature. You have to push the buttons on the FOB to lock and unlock the car.

Simply turn off the autolock feature in the car's settings, and just use the fob, or use the lock lever on the door, or use the electric lock switch on the door.

(wrc)

What is nice about the push button ignition is, you can unlock your house without turning the car off, that is, if you have your house key on the FOB keychain, and you can start the car really fast. Hit the button as you are putting your seatbelt on. Another nice thing is you won't accidentally key your car or scratch the dash from hanging keys from the ignition.

*post edited for brevity*
Every other car manufacture has figured it out.

Really?
https://www.civicx.com/threads/walk-away-auto-lock-kinda-useless.2365/

Honda's works EXACTLY like Mazda's does. The system's are so similar you'd think the same company made it.
I am gobsmacked you are getting a new car over this....

kaps said:
I think he is 100% on money. I complained to my Mazda Rep on how the AC vent chrome trims were going to kill me one day, they are offering me an upgraded Trim (any color choice) GT + $5000 or a 2017 one when it comes out.

I will take a the GT once I come back from my vacation to Syria.

LMAO! Guys disagreeing with Kaps... did you read his whole post?
It's ok... his sarcasm was lost on me when I first started hanging out here. :D

The Sport trim does not have this feature. You have to push the buttons on the FOB to lock and unlock the car.

Thank you! Now I can sleep! I was questioning if it did have it yesterday when I noticed it doesn't have the small button next to the key hole.

Now on to getting a second fob done at a ridiculous price!

Glad other people have the same issues I have. Mine is about 1-10 times it doesn't work, which isn't good when 10/10 nights someone is checking my door handles to see if my car is unlocked (I park on an urban street). Had all my stuff stolen last week.

Just can't understand why there are so many apologists for a feature that doesn't work right on a $30k car. Would you complain if your lane assist didn't work 1/10 of the time?

Glad other people have the same issues I have. Mine is about 1-10 times it doesn't work, which isn't good when 10/10 nights someone is checking my door handles to see if my car is unlocked (I park on an urban street). Had all my stuff stolen last week.

Just can't understand why there are so many apologists for a feature that doesn't work right on a $30k car. Would you complain if your lane assist didn't work 1/10 of the time?

Sorry about your stuff. That happened to me once. But look at the bright side: they didn't break your window to get it like mine.

The moral of the story is don't leave stuff in the car. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's the only sure way to keep from getting ripped off. Just sayin'.

My autolocking works every time UNLESS I walk away too fast, or another door isn't shut. It has a really small reception footprint, especially to the sides. Maybe yours needs calibration, if there is any available.

If your stuff gets rifled through that often pay better attention when you get out of the car. I always know if my car locks itself.
Or you could just turn it off.

If your stuff gets rifled through that often pay better attention when you get out of the car. I always know if my car locks itself.
Or you could just turn it off.
Exactly. If you don*t check your car is locked, it*s your responsibility, not anybody else*s or Mazdas. If it beeps it*s locked. If something interferes and it doesn*t beep just press one of the door switches or the fob button.

Exactly. If you don*t check your car is locked, it*s your responsibility, not anybody else*s or Mazdas. If it beeps it*s locked. If something interferes and it doesn*t beep just press one of the door switches or the fob button.

Exactly. There are several options.

But actually if it beeps TWICE it's locked "automatically". If it beeps once, you know the doors are shut and it's ready to lock. The second beep indicates locked.

However, if you lock it with the handle switch or the fob, one beep indicates locked.

Whenever I'm in doubt, I hit the fob. If I hear the horn, I know it was locked. If I hear a click, I know it wasn't, but is now.

Plus on some of the latest versions, the mirrors fold in automatically when locked. Apologies if stating the obvious.

I won't, and never will buy this excuse. It's sold as "Walk-Away Lock". The concept is, get out of your car and the doors lock without you having to push the button. It's not a functioning feature if I have to pay attention to whether it worked or not, and then use the lock button if it doesn't. That actually ADDS time/effort to the door locking feature that is supposed to work seamlessly. I have no idea why people just refuse to admit it's a flawed/broken feature.

Imagine saying "Push-to-Start only works 80% of the time, but when it doesn't, you just have to put your key into the ignition and turn. It's YOUR fault if you car doesn't start when you push the button, not Mazda's"

The car audibly lets you know if it's locked or not. If you can't be bothered to....listen as you walk away then yes, it's your fault.
Go to the CR-V forums and search for walk away... It's practically exactly the same. And a handful of people complain about it there, too.

Back