How long should the windscreen take to demist?

I assumed the air conditioning comes on when the windshield defrost button is pushed. It does on mine and I suspect everyone elses too. Is this programmed differently in Europe? The ac should remove that moisture quickly.

Another cause is dampness inside caused by tracking in snow or having something wet inside the vehicle.

I assumed the air conditioning comes on when the windshield defrost button is pushed. It does on mine and I suspect everyone else*s too. Is this programmed differently in Europe? The ac should remove that moisture quickly.

Another cause is dampness inside caused by tracking in snow or having something wet inside the vehicle.

No it*s the same. Mine doesn*t take 15 minutes to demist, I have to be half way to work in that time.

With the windshield demist setting on (the windshield with the stinky lines), ensure your system is not set to Recirculate. The system should be drawing air in from outside. You can also crack the windows while you're waiting for the car to warm up.

This is the only time I've had misting issues, when I had left to recirculating.

We haven't had our CX-5 long enough to know how well it works on this vehicle. But, I have it in my Lexus and it is not "pointless". At least once you are moving. I don't think it was meant to defrost the windshield, just keep ice from building up at the bottom of the glass while driving.

Its to prevent the wipers freezing to the screen.

bR7z3SLmwcfUkm866

Came home from work and thought my windshield was shattered. Nope it had so much dew on inside it looked grey at night. None of the other cars had any condensation on inside. Something is wrong with gen1 windshield design or door seals

Last edited:
bR7z3SLmwcfUkm866

Came home from work and thought my windshield was shattered. Nope it had so much dew on inside it looked grey at night. None of the other cars had any condensation on inside. Something is wrong with gen1 windshield design or door seals

My 2013 CX-5 sits in my driveway pretty much the whole day since I work from home and it faces the sun for a majority of the day. Needless to say, I have a sunshade. When I take my kid to school at 7am, here is dew on the glass, but that*s on the outside. However, I*ve noticed that if I drive it in the early evening, there is a build up of condensation on the inside of the windshield. The other day, my daughter, who was in the passenger seat, tried to wipe it off, and it was so thick, it was just leaving water drops as she tried to wipe it with a paper napkin.

I had a Honda Accord previously and one cold (for South Florida) morning when we got in for school drop off, the back glass was fogged up more than usual. I used my squeegee to clear the dew, but it was still not clear. I figured there was condensation on the inside, so I didn*t worry about it. When I got home, it was still not clear and when I did a closer inspection, it turns out the glass was shattered. There must have been a short or something with the rear defroster because the replacement glass also shattered a couple of days after it was installed. I just had the installer disconnect the defroster instead of fixing it. It was a 10 year old car.

Yup, the A/C comes on ok.
I was thinking about inability to get rid of moisture too - assuming the A/C works as it should, there shouldn*t be much inside the car. The A/C is on all the time so should get rid of dampness from shoes / breathing etc.
I wonder if the car has been correctly programmed from its shipping settings?

I have a horrible feeling that the only way I*ll be able to prove there is a problem is to get out there one cold morning and film it from startup to 75% clear. That*ll take about 20mins!

Ps, anyone know why this forum changes apostrophes to asterisks?

Yup, the A/C comes on ok.
I was thinking about inability to get rid of moisture too - assuming the A/C works as it should, there shouldn*t be much inside the car. The A/C is on all the time so should get rid of dampness from shoes / breathing etc.
I wonder if the car has been correctly programmed from its shipping settings?

I have a horrible feeling that the only way I*ll be able to prove there is a problem is to get out there one cold morning and film it from startup to 75% clear. That*ll take about 20mins!

Time lapse, if you can.

What a surprise, the dealers say there is nothing wrong with the cars (theyve had a few complaints) and its just due the cars taking a long time to heat up (crazy)

Apart from saying the car is unfit for purpose and could be argued as dangerous, is there anything else we can do? (hand)

Apparently, according to the dealer, there is a *valve* that actually shuts off heat to the car in order to heat the engine up. So to actually disengage that and demist you have to rev it it.

Anyone else heard something like this?

Apparently, according to the dealer, there is a *valve* that actually shuts off heat to the car in order to heat the engine up. So to actually disengage that and demist you have to rev it it.

Anyone else heard something like this?
He's probably describing the thermostat. It shuts off coolant flow, which keeps hot water from reaching the heater core.

No, that was what I thought too.
Apparently there is some other valve!
If it was the stat, I could swap it out with one that opened earlier :)

From Mazda customer services this morning:

I*m sorry to hear of the concern with the way the CX-5 clears the windscreen in the car. I have spoken with our technical team for further advice. The information provided by the dealership is correct. The vehicle has a coolant control valve for emissions, which is closed at idle. If the car is left on a driveway idling, then it will not demist as no hot coolant is circulated to the heater. This is normal operation of the vehicle.

As expected - no fault found!!

So how are you meant to demist a windscreen without driving it if the only way to open the valve is to drive it?
Can*t beat these circular arguments ��

From Mazda customer services this morning:

I*m sorry to hear of the concern with the way the CX-5 clears the windscreen in the car. I have spoken with our technical team for further advice. The information provided by the dealership is correct. The vehicle has a coolant control valve for emissions, which is closed at idle. If the car is left on a driveway idling, then it will not demist as no hot coolant is circulated to the heater. This is normal operation of the vehicle.

As expected - no fault found!!

So how are you meant to demist a windscreen without driving it if the only way to open the valve is to drive it?
Can*t beat these circular arguments **

I just live dangerously.

Back