Turbo: nobody home?

I don't understand what is making you think that is "operating as designed". Your post is the first I am hearing of anyone with the 2.5L NA losing half of it's horsepower in cold weather.

We've had cold weather and mine definitely does not do that. If it did, I'd be throwing a fit.

I havent noticed a drastic reduction in power when cold either.

Let's break it down then. The pertinent data points are that 1) it seems to be a '17 and up issue so owners of Gen 1 likely won't have anything to report, 2) it requires the proper temperature conditions (very cold), and 3) the evidence thus far suggests the problem is related to ECU behavior/tuning. I guess you could also throw in 4) there may be unknown variables not yet revealed/determined.

I suppose it's possible my ECU has a problem that is unique and not common to the vehicle, but that would be unusual for this type of problem. I also need to point out that just because I don't have any other owners of '17-19' NA engine vehicles reporting in with the same issue on this forum doesn't mean they don't exist and that I should immediately be discredited. To this point I have a cousin with a nearly identical '17 CX-5 who has experienced the same power loss on the same cold days as I have. We both live in the same town. So I can tell you guys that I'm not the only person in NA engine land experiencing it.

I have every intention of bringing the matter up with the dealer the next time I'm in for service. I just don't expect anything to come from it, if for no other reason than our nasty cold spell is past and as the days count on the weather will get better not worse so there won't be an opportunity to reproduce the behavior now for a pretty long time. That, and I know they'll just pull up the list of active TSBs on their computer, see that there isn't one for this, and tell me they can't do anything about it.

If it starts happening again NEXT winter I guess I'll have to be more aggressive about the matter. I'm just trying to be logical about the situation.

Last edited:
Let's break it down then. The pertinent data points are that 1) it seems to be a '17 and up issue so owners of Gen 1 likely won't have anything to report, 2) it requires the proper temperature conditions (very cold), and 3) the evidence thus far suggests the problem is related to ECU behavior/tuning. I guess you could also throw in 4) there may be unknown variables not yet revealed/determined.

No, my '18 runs just fine in temp below 20F, no power loss, and we've had plenty of cold here in Denver and the mountains this winter.

I suppose it's possible my ECU has a problem that is unique and not common to the vehicle, but that would be unusual for this type of problem. I also need to point out that just because I don't have any other owners of '17-19' NA engine vehicles reporting in with the same issue on this forum doesn't mean they don't exist and that I should immediately be discredited. To this point I have a cousin with a nearly identical '17 CX-5 who has experienced the same power loss on the same cold days as I have. We both live in the same town. So I can tell you guys that I'm not the only person in NA engine land experiencing it.

I have every intention of bringing the matter up with the dealer the next time I'm in for service. I just don't expect anything to come from it, if for no other reason than our nasty cold spell is past and as the days count on the weather will get better not worse so there won't be an opportunity to reproduce the behavior now for a pretty long time. That, and I know they'll just pull up the list of active TSBs on their computer, see that there isn't one for this, and tell me they can't do anything about it.

If it starts happening again NEXT winter I guess I'll have to be more aggressive about the matter. I'm just trying to be logical about the situation.

- Draws conclusions based on two data points and "it seems like", "suggests that", and "may be unknown" self-made statements
- Does not immediately act on conclusion drawn, and instead waits until it gets warmer (when the issue is known not to occur) to take it to the dealer
- Assumes Mazda techs will just pull up existing info on computer and then shoo them away (which is very likely as again, issue is known not to occur at warmer temps)
- Rolls over and chooses to ignore the issue until next year, while continuing to complain about the issue they could have addressed when it was actually happening

Far from logical. You place a lot of blame on outside factors when you should be holding yourself accountable for not being more proactive. Mazda doesn't owe you anything if you're unwilling to help yourself. But, in the end, it is your car, your money, your prerogative.

anigif_sub-buzz-28336-1484687210-2.gif

He's meeting with Mazda next week. Probably best to try to address it then, first.

Appreciate the updates Uno. Have you or anyone else tried to contact any other YouTube personalities? Alex On Autos, The Fast Lane Car, maybe even the dreaded Scotty Kilmer? I bet Kilmer would have a field day with this, haha.

Any other Sig, or Reserve owners not having this issue? This thread makes it seem like it's a common fact. The majority of our driving, until recently, has been in weather below 20 degrees, and we have never experienced this phenomenon.

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone tried to see if the issue also occurs with the transmission in "manual" mode?

- Draws conclusions based on two data points and "it seems like", "suggests that", and "may be unknown" self-made statements
- Does not immediately act on conclusion drawn, and instead waits until it gets warmer (when the issue is known not to occur) to take it to the dealer
- Assumes Mazda techs will just pull up existing info on computer and then shoo them away (which is very likely as again, issue is known not to occur at warmer temps)
- Rolls over and chooses to ignore the issue until next year, while continuing to complain about the issue they could have addressed when it was actually happening

Far from logical. You place a lot of blame on outside factors when you should be holding yourself accountable for not being more proactive. Mazda doesn't owe you anything if you're unwilling to help yourself. But, in the end, it is your car, your money, your prerogative.

anigif_sub-buzz-28336-1484687210-2.gif

Appreciate the updates Uno. Have you or anyone else tried to contact any other YouTube personalities? Alex On Autos, The Fast Lane Car, maybe even the dreaded Scotty Kilmer? I bet Kilmer would have a field day with this, haha.

Well, thanks for the meme. I think I've got a pretty good idea of the nature of this particular group now, so you won't have to put up with any more of my terribly twisted logic in the future. Have fun Interneting. It's definitely your cup of tea not mine.

Update Synopsis:

Mazda stonewalled SG.
Mazda seems aware of the quirk.
Mazda offers no comment, no discussion, no information to SG on said issue.

Update Synopsis:

Mazda stonewalled SG.
Mazda seems aware of the quirk.
Mazda offers no comment, no discussion, no information to SG on said issue.

That's unfortunate. Minus 1 for Mazda.
Will you share SG's communication with us please.

Thanks. Isn't there more?

Did he mention who he talked to, that is, what position they hold in the org?

What they're telling him seems inconsistent, given that Dave Coleman talks freely about things like the TCS issue.

Frustrating.

As I noted in my post from this morning(which appears to have been removed?), it was below 20 on my way into work and the car was definitely lacking. On the drive home this afternoon, in was in the 40s and the power put a smile on my face.

Its ridiculous that Mazda wont speak to this. There is a significant reduction in power when temps are below freezing.

Thanks. Isn't there more?

Did he mention who he talked to, that is, what position they hold in the org?

What they're telling him seems inconsistent, given that Dave Coleman talks freely about things like the TCS issue.

There is more to our conversation, but the above is the only part that pertained to the subject at hand.

Frustrating.

As I noted in my post from this morning(which appears to have been removed?), it was below 20 on my way into work and the car was definitely lacking. On the drive home this afternoon, in was in the 40s and the power put a smile on my face.

It*s ridiculous that Mazda won*t speak to this. There is a significant reduction in power when temps are below freezing.

Take it to your dealer.
Complain to the new sales manager. Complain to the salesman you bought it from. Complain to the service department.

Of course don't do it in a petulant way, but let them know you want the issue forwarded up the chain. That is what I did today, and supplied them with videos of the failure to accelerate normally. If they get enough customers complaining, they WILL address the problem, but you need to go to your dealer and get the ball rolling.

I had the same thing happen to me as well when it was cold out this winter. Felt like it had no power. Mine is a NA 2018 GT. So it*s not just the turbo model.

... it was below 20 on my way into work and the car was definitely lacking. On the drive home this afternoon, in was in the 40s and the power put a smile on my face.

It*s ridiculous that Mazda won*t speak to this. There is a significant reduction in power when temps are below freezing.

You should definitely take yours in and have it looked at. That is not normal.

Back