Autolock not always locking

Rarebreed

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Tech Liquid Silver
Does anyone else have an issue with the autolocks not always locking? I park in a gated lot at work and usually in the garage at home, but there have been numerous instances where I get to my car, and the doors are not locked.

I took it into the dealership to look at, and there was a miscommunication between the service rep and the service tech. The tech put 15 miles on the car to see if the doors were locking when driving around - that was not the issue. I'm reticent to bring it back to them without first finding out if anyone else is experiencing this. (This is the same dealership that took 3 visits before they finally acknowledged the lumbar support had cracked and was clearly crooked, then took another visit before they figured out how to fix it.)

Either the autolocks are not working all the time, or someone has hacked the keyless system and is unlocking the doors.

My 6 fails to auto-lock maybe once out of every 30 times I get out an walk away. I've gotten in the habit of listening for the beep, and failing to hear it, hitting the lock button on the fob in my pocket.

If you move out of range before the last door is shut and beeped shut it will not lock, you must remain close to the car until the first door closed beep...

Mine does it. Most often I shut the door and it doesn't beep. Most of those times the fob and my phone are in my pocket and the phone is covering the fob. Sometimes, I can re-shut a door and get the first beep and then it locks when I walk away.

After discussing this feature with my wife, we agreed to set it to lock only with the black button press.
This way, we can hear the beep and check that it is really locked by pulling the handle and be sure 100% that the car is indeed locked. We then don't need to worry about "I am not sure if I heard the beep" e.g. because I was distracted nor about "It did beep, but did it actually locked the doors?", because on failure it might just beep without locking anything...
Pulling the handle is the best assurance to quell our paranoia.

Does anyone else have an issue with the autolocks not always locking? I park in a gated lot at work and usually in the garage at home, but there have been numerous instances where I get to my car, and the doors are not locked.

I took it into the dealership to look at, and there was a miscommunication between the service rep and the service tech. The tech put 15 miles on the car to see if the doors were locking when driving around - that was not the issue. I'm reticent to bring it back to them without first finding out if anyone else is experiencing this. (This is the same dealership that took 3 visits before they finally acknowledged the lumbar support had cracked and was clearly crooked, then took another visit before they figured out how to fix it.)

Either the autolocks are not working all the time, or someone has hacked the keyless system and is unlocking the doors.

This happens when I am walking away and pushing the door behind me to close it. At the moment the door closes I'm about six feet from the door so I'm out have range.

This is what I did.
1. Increase the volume of the beep. You can then hear it better when walking away.
2. When walking away, not only listen for the beep, but watch for the visual cue of the lights blinking on the headlights.

Doing these two things, I never miss it not locking. Also, if I'm in an area that is sketchy and not as safe, I always manually lock it. But if I'm just running into stores and what not, the walk away lock works every time for me.

I had the same issue (occasionally not autolocking). I disabled the feature and now lock manually via the keyfob or button on the door handle.

Having a mobile phone with you - especially near the key or being about a strong electrical field like some garage and shed alarms can generate can also interfere with it.

The locks are described in detail in the attached pdf and the walk away locking is described well down as the out of area locking.

View attachment 215016

Having read this and other posts on the same topic, I see four things that keep doors from locking automatically.
If the rear hatch is not fully closed, they will not lock.
The key fob is out of range when the last door is shut (passengers getting out after the driver).
Other electronic devices may be interfering with the signal (usually a bluetooth phone, although mine works).
Perhaps the battery in the key fob is dead.
These are known issues and are documented. Rule these out and prove to yourself it is NOT one of these, then you have something to tell the dealer.

Thanks for all the responses.

When the car's in the garage, and the doors are unlocked in the morning, I've double checked that the rear hatch is closed.

The car is less than 5 feet from the front gate (can't go into the house through the garage), so I'm within range for at least 60 seconds (making sure the garage door closes) after closing all the doors.

My phone is never in the same pocket as my keys (scratching the screen).

Battery should be fine since it'll unlock the doors.

Thanks for this Anchorman

Having a mobile phone with you - especially near the key or being about a strong electrical field like some garage and shed alarms can generate can also interfere with it.

The locks are described in detail in the attached pdf and the walk away locking is described well down as the “out of area” locking.

View attachment 215016

For all of those who are having problems with the Walk Away Locks....

Mazda is in the process of REPLACING MY CAR ON THE LEMON LAW. You all should be complaining to Mazda NOW so they can fix the problem with their FLAWED system. Every other car manufacture has figured it out.

If it does not work 100% o the time then they should not sell the system.

Start complaining now to get your car fixed or replaced. You paid $30+K for your car and EVERYTHING should work as described all of the time, not just part of the time.

Based on my experience in talking with the Manufacturer Rep here in CA, they do not think they have a problem as they tell me they have had no complaints about it to this point.

They replaced the sensors on the door handles and it still has a problem. Mine happens about 1 in 10 or less.

Make sure you get the manufacture rep involved. If you do not, they will not know as everything will be kept at the dealer service dept. If the locks do not work as described, the DEALER should pay you back for what was stolen if you have been broken into. PLAY hard ball it's not your fault.

Last edited:
Wow! Your getting your car replaced because the walk away feature doesn't work all the time? You know there's a little button on the remote that works every time... you can hear it lock. Is that really a deal breaker? Can't imagine how you deal with your cable/cell phone company

I lock with fob always. Unlock with button. But i have similar issue with trunk lid. I walk with fob in pocket and try to open it and it opens.( Note i do not press the trunk unlock button at all).
Is this normal?

I lock with fob always. Unlock with button. But i have similar issue with trunk lid. I walk with fob in pocket and try to open it and it opens.( Note i do not press the trunk unlock button at all).
Is this normal?

The hatch button works as the other buttons.

For all of those who are having problems with the Walk Away Locks....

Mazda is in the process of REPLACING MY CAR ON THE LEMON LAW. You all should be complaining to Mazda NOW so they can fix the problem with their FLAWED system. Every other car manufacture has figured it out.

If it does not work 100% o the time then they should not sell the system.

Start complaining now to get your car fixed or replaced. You paid $30+K for your car and EVERYTHING should work as described all of the time, not just part of the time.

Based on my experience in talking with the Manufacturer Rep here in CA, they do not think they have a problem as they tell me they have had no complaints about it to this point.

They replaced the sensors on the door handles and it still has a problem. Mine happens about 1 in 10 or less.

Make sure you get the manufacture rep involved. If you do not, they will not know as everything will be kept at the dealer service dept. If the locks do not work as described, the DEALER should pay you back for what was stolen if you have been broken into. PLAY hard ball it's not your fault.

Little of what you wrote here is realistic.

Little of what you wrote here is realistic.

I think he is 100% on money. I complained to my Mazda Rep on how the AC vent chrome trims were going to kill me one day, they are offering me an upgraded Trim (any color choice) GT + $5000 or a 2017 one when it comes out.

I will take a the GT once I come back from my vacation to Syria.

To be honest I've never used this feature. Is it on my 2016 Touring? I carry my fob in my pocket, and just hit the lock button on the driver's arm rest as I'm getting out. Only seldom do I use my fob to lock my CX-5. I never doubt whether mine is locked when I hit the button; it's just a natural part of exiting my vehicle.

Back