'17 CX-5: Charging phones via USB outlets in the center console?

That is fine. Besides it would drop down and run at 2.0A anyways
I'm saying Mazda shouldn't try to save some pennies and re-use the same 5-year-old front USB module. They should offer at least one USB port at front with 1.5A charging power like (cough、cough) Honda CR-V. Had Mazda have done that there wouldn't be any questions like this thread from 2017 CX-5 owners! ;)

I'm saying Mazda shouldn't try to save some pennies and re-use the same 5-year-old front USB module. They should offer at least one USB port at front with 1.5A charging power like (cough、cough) Honda CR-V. Had Mazda have done that there wouldn't be any questions like this thread from 2017 CX-5 owners! ;)

Mazda shouldn't be saving pennies on lots of things not just this (LED interior lights, turn signals, off switch for entertainment system to name a few)

Honestly I think Mazda is choosing good places to save pennies, I am very happy at the level of refinement of my car, and spare a few things that I am used to in my GTI and my old X1, it is a great package.
Those things: auto up/down on all windows, big/panoramic moonroof, front/back parking sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. It never even occured to me that the windows switches weren't lit until someone here mentioned it. Like I said, one less thing to fail. And I don't need them lit. I can find them easily enough.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Got lit power window buttons and they are working fine after 2 years of ownership.

And the ones in my Saab were 10 years old. Not saying they will fail...but they could! 😁

Honestly I think Mazda is choosing good places to save pennies, I am very happy at the level of refinement of my car, and spare a few things that I am used to in my GTI and my old X1, it is a great package.
Those things: auto up/down on all windows, big/panoramic moonroof, front/back parking sensors.

Disagree. The Mazda6 already has auto up/down on all windows so why they couldn't do the same on the CX-5 is beyond me. Cost difference has to be absolutely minimal. And the parking sensor thing is just bizarre when you have a camera, rear-cross traffic alert, etc. but don't have parking sensors. I almost hit the car behind me the first time I parallel parked the car because I kept expecting to hear beeps. I know that's a $500 dealer option but again, an odd thing to leave off.

My iPhone 6 Plus charges fine (battery charge goes up!) from my '17's USB1 in the centre console.

It doesn't go up anywhere near like the cigarette lighter does. My regular iPhone 7 actually loses battery life if you have the screen on or something streaming. Can't imagine your Plus is any better.

Disagree. The Mazda6 already has auto up/down on all windows so why they couldn't do the same on the CX-5 is beyond me. Cost difference has to be absolutely minimal. And the parking sensor thing is just bizarre when you have a camera, rear-cross traffic alert, etc. but don't have parking sensors. I almost hit the car behind me the first time I parallel parked the car because I kept expecting to hear beeps. I know that's a $500 dealer option but again, an odd thing to leave off.

Yes, I agree with you, hence my "spare a few things" comment. I always laugh when I look down on my tiny sunroof from the second floor of my house.

Disagree. The Mazda6 already has auto up/down on all windows so why they couldn't do the same on the CX-5 is beyond me. Cost difference has to be rabsolutely minimal. And the parking sensor thing is just bizarre when you have a camera, rear-cross traffic alert, etc. but don't have parking sensors. I almost hit the car behind me the first time I parallel parked the car because I kept expecting to hear beeps. I know that's a $500 dealer option but again, an odd thing to leave off.
That OEM dealer-installed accessory of rear parking sensors available in the US is an after-thought product which is totally different from factory-installed integrated front/rear parking sensors available in other regions.

Not only US Mazda6 has auto up/down on all windows, but also non-US CX-5 has them too. It's a mystery why Mazda North American Operations think this's a better way to sell more CX-5's in the US and to save their cost. Making a single feature into too many versions sometimes costs more for manufacture process and parts supply.

Every country should have the same features.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I agree but every car company does it. I'd bet Mazda cheapens it here because they are trying hard to undercut pricing. But Mazda...we'd be willing to pay more for folding mirrors and other toys.

I almost hit the car behind me the first time I parallel parked the car because I kept expecting to hear beeps. I know that's a $500 dealer option but again, an odd thing to leave off.

1st world problems. Maybe learn to parallel park without the aid of sensors? I've been PP'ing over 20 years and never used any sensors. (whistle)

1st world problems. Maybe learn to parallel park without the aid of sensors? I've been PP'ing over 20 years and never used any sensors. (whistle)

It wasn't a question of not being able to do it w/o it, just expecting it to be there based on my experience with every other car that has a backup camera, not to mention rear cross-traffic alert. I PP my Mustang just fine without any of that (drinks)

Not embarrassed to admit: I suck at parallel parking. I need all the help I can get.

lol just takes practice I guess. I still remember how my Drivers Ed instructor taught us to do it, way back in 1995! And then when I started college in the Freshman dorms there were some parallel parking spaces around a curve at the end of a row of parking. Now THAT was tricky!

And yes I have thought it odd that there are no backup sensors on our car, but I just figured sensors aren't really needed with a camera. My company's car has sensors but no camera, and I much prefer our car having the camera but no sensors.

And yes I have thought it odd that there are no backup sensors on our car, but I just figured sensors aren't really needed with a camera. My company's car has sensors but no camera, and I much prefer our car having the camera but no sensors.

I don't care so much for a back-up sensor since there's a camera, but including a front parking sensor with the Preferred Equipment Package would've been nice :)

I agree but every car company does it. I'd bet Mazda cheapens it here because they are trying hard to undercut pricing. But Mazda...we'd be willing to pay more for folding mirrors and other toys.

Agreed everyone does it. But over here we pay top dollar for ours and it doesn't come with heated rear seats or steering wheel not to mention i-Eloop. How much more on top of our already expensive price to get these (scratch)

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Another thing for us US customers is to realize that our cars tend to be much cheaper than almost every other car market, so to be competitive, all companies need to cut costs here. Otherwise, people will view it as an overpriced low volume product.
I think this was done well in my GTI, as it is an OK price, has nice features, but has got rid of a few items that people don't put much value on when buying a car: electronic parking brake, low profile rear headrests, and LED taillights are the few I can think of.

Back