Any high mileage 18-up cx5s out there?

Well, despite all the stuff about rocker arms, picked up our new 19 touring awd w/package yesterday. Pretty nice vehicle and my lady is stoked, especially with the apple carplay (as am I...its pretty damn cool and convenient). Going to be putting 100k miles on this thing in the next three years, so guess well see how it holds up.

For the record, it isn't a Technical Service Bulletin, TSB, Mazda issued to this rocker arm falling off problem on its 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. It's the Service Alert Mazda issued for this problem and there're two. Service Alert is more serious than TSB which also have reported to NHTSA.

Fair enough, Service Alert, not TSB. In any event, I would have the necessary software updates done, referencing the two Service Alerts. Once that's done, I'd drive the car normally and give it the beans on an open road a few times to make sure it doesn't exhibit the symptoms of a rocker arm that has fallen off. If it doesn't, then I'm home free :)

Fair enough, Service Alert, not TSB. In any event, I would have the necessary software updates done, referencing the two Service Alerts. Once that's done, I'd drive the car normally and give it the beans on an open road a few times to make sure it doesn't exhibit the symptoms of a rocker arm that has fallen off. If it doesn't, then I'm home free :)
If you noticed, Mazda won't update your PCM firmware unless you have symptoms. This shows the rocker arm falling off problem is not as simple as PCM software updates. Saw today there's another TSB for 2018 CX-5 concerning P0524 CEL about low oil pressure which also requires PCM update. IMO this's also cylinder deactivation related. According to the TSB, what Mazda did on PCM update is to control engine oil pressure better in certain situations. This sounded very similar to the fix of rocker arm issue to me.

If you noticed, Mazda won't update your PCM firmware unless you have symptoms. This shows the rocker arm falling off problem is not as simple as PCM software updates. Saw today there's another TSB for 2018 CX-5 concerning P0524 CEL about low oil pressure which also requires PCM update. IMO this's also cylinder deactivation related. According to the TSB, what Mazda did on PCM update is to control engine oil pressure better in certain situations. This sounded very similar to the fix of rocker arm issue to me.

What I'm saying is that IMO, Mazda should check the related software of the new vehicle to make sure that it has been updated. According to them, if the software is updated, the rocker arm will not fall off. This is in Mazda's best interest, because if they do not update the software and the rocker arm falls off, Mazda will have to eat the cost of replacing the engine (and updating the software anyway). If they refuse to check it, I would reference the Service Alert(s) and state to both the dealer and Mazda Corporate that you do not feel safe driving the vehicle due to the information presented in the Service Alert. As a last resort, I would threaten to bring this information to the local media.

For something like this, I would not be so easily turned away at the gates.

I have a 2018 with close to 20,000 miles that I bought last September with 2 miles on it. Absolutely no issues so far. I guess my only b**** would be that the oem wiper blades suck in the snow; and the "heated" area on the windshield doesn't do anything if you're driving in a snowstorm. Other than that, no issues and I drive it pretty hard.

I have a 2018 with close to 20,000 miles that I bought last September with 2 miles on it. Absolutely no issues so far. I guess my only b**** would be that the oem wiper blades suck in the snow; and the "heated" area on the windshield doesn't do anything if you're driving in a snowstorm. Other than that, no issues and I drive it pretty hard.
Is there any compatible aftermarket wipers for the Gen 2 yet? I know I put Bosch Icons on my Gen 1 for the same reason. Stock wipers are absolutely pathetic in wintry weather.

Is there any compatible aftermarket wipers for the Gen 2 yet? I know I put Bosch Icons on my Gen 1 for the same reason. Stock wipers are absolutely pathetic in wintry weather.
Bosch Envision 24OE and 18OE. Has to be OE version to have a proper adapter.

Actually gen-1 OEM wiper blades are pretty good in non-wintry condition. And yes, gen-2 wiper blades have very proprietary hook where at least for Bosch, only Envision comes with proper adapter to install.

Now I really need to get used to $29 per wiper blade!

First post but lurking for many months.
I have to think that long term reliability with the turbo itself could overall be a larger issue and eventually affect more people than the rocker arm issue. Nice to have that extra grunt and it appears the only penalties are more frequent spark plug changes and lower fuel economy and maybe the cost for premium fuel for those wanting the extra hp premium gives. Turbo will also put more stress on transmission, maybe tires and brakes, maybe more underhood heat etc.
I would have no hesitation to pick up a GT and this is number 1 on my list, actually replacing a 2004 Acura TSX with 250,000 km and similar power and driving dynamics. I like the idea of a conventional non turbo engine with a simple 6 speed trans...not 9 speed, not CVT.

Last edited:

First post but lurking for many months.
I have to think that long term reliability with the turbo itself could overall be a larger issue and eventually affect more people than the rocker arm issue. Nice to have that extra grunt and it appears the only penalties are more frequent spark plug changes and lower fuel economy and maybe the cost for premium fuel for those wanting the extra hp premium gives. Turbo will also put more stress on transmission, maybe tires and brakes, maybe more underhood heat etc.
I would have no hesitation to pick up a GT and this is number 1 on my list, actually replacing a 2004 Acura TSX with 250,000 km and similar power and driving dynamics. I like the idea of a conventional non turbo engine with a simple 6 speed trans...not 9 speed, not CVT.
Like you I also hate to get a turbo engine for long-term consideration. Unlike you, if I have to choose one between 2.5T and 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I'd choose the 2.5T! That's how much I hate the CD and I even gave up my plan to get a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD mainly because Mazda suddenly added the CD.

Now we started to see some design issues on cylinder deactivation from 2.5L with CD. I'd predict there'll be more problems coming out as time goes by.

I like the idea of a conventional non turbo engine with a simple 6 speed trans...not 9 speed, not CVT.
Actually CVT is much simpler than a 6-speed transmission ;)

That's how much I hate the CD and I even gave up my plan to get a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD mainly because Mazda suddenly added the CD

What's wrong with the CD? My '18 apparently has it and I can't even tell if it's beneficial or not. Hell, the car couldn't even have it and I wouldn't notice a difference.

Actually CVT is much simpler than a 6-speed transmission * ;)
I agree the CVT is simpler, I don*t like the feel although the one in the CRV is not too bad; again I am unsure of the long term reliability vs a more conventional transmission and failure of that belt can require a complete replacement. You don*t often see a CVT in a turbo or high torque application, probably because they cannot stand up to the stress.

What's wrong with the CD? My '18 apparently has it and I can't even tell if it's beneficial or not. Hell, the car couldn't even have it and I wouldn't notice a difference.
What's wrong with the cylinder deactivation? You said it that you can't tell if it's beneficial and you can't tell the difference. But it does add complexity to the engine and transmission, with bad reputation of problems from history. Currently there're already a couple of Service Alerts by Mazda concerning rocker arm falling off issue from cylinder deactivation. And all of these for 1 mpg gain on FWD and 0 mpg gain on AWD based on EPA figure.

Mazda's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h). And:
Cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, improving fuel economy by some 20% when driving at a constant 40 km/h, and by about 5% at a constant 80 km/h.

Think about it, how often your CD will be operating under above condition?

We can thank our governments with increasing fuel economy requirements for these added complexities that don*t save very much in fuel costs and may add to ownership costs and certainly owner frustrations. Thank goodness we don*t have auto start stop on the CX5 (yet) and we still have a space saver spare with that added 30 pounds of fuel sucking weight.

I agree the CVT is simpler, I don*t like the feel although the one in the CRV is not too bad; again I am unsure of the long term reliability vs a more conventional transmission and failure of that belt can require a complete replacement. You don*t often see a CVT in a turbo or high torque application, probably because they cannot stand up to the stress.
In earlier days CVT used by Audi did have reliability issue as it has "rubber" belt. Since metal belt introduced the reliability issue on CVT basically has been resolved. Every hybrid and electrical vehicle use CVT for its efficiency and it has to handle instant torque from electrical motor. This application has been tested for many years and we certainly haven't seen too many reliability issues from CVT especially the one from Toyota.

It can't help on drive feeling from CVT. But most people don't really care as long as the CVT works and it saves fuel.

Good point. Realistically, how often is anyone driving at a sustained speed between 25-50mph?? Hardly ever I'd imagine.

City driving. There are periods where its not just stop and go and side streets are often 40 or 45 MPH around here.

That said, I am in agreement that CD is too much trouble than its worth seeing the thread about rocker arms falling off, but I just wanted to point out that for many there are absolutely periods of sustained 25-50 MPH driving.

City driving. There are periods where its not just stop and go and side streets are often 40 or 45 MPH around here.

That said, I am in agreement that CD is too much trouble than its worth seeing the thread about rocker arms falling off, but I just wanted to point out that for many there are absolutely periods of sustained 25-50 MPH driving.

Just to echo CD, I can personally say that 25-50 mph (40-80 kph) accounts for 75% of my own driving. That said, the minor mileage improvement from CD isn't enough to make me want it, and it's definitely not worth the headaches some people have experienced regarding the rocker arms on their CD-equipped engines.

Just a thought...if low oil pressure is the issue, could it be that people running longer oil changes and/or idling a lot are getting greater fuel dilution, which would in turn thin out the oil and cause reduced oil pressure? I wonder how far into oil changes and/or with what driving habits are people having the rocket arm/oil pressure issues?

Is it possible that running a thicker 30wt oil could help alleviate this issue?

Back