CX-5 housekeeping -battery, rotor, coolant,cargo net, black plastic, windshield fluid

Windshield Washer Fluid Low Level Dash Indicator

I just went out to the garage to see if our CX-5 has an indicator. I didn't see anything on the dash when I turned the ignition on but in looking under the hood there appears to be a wire connected to the washer reservoir. It's on the front of the tank, between the tank and the radiator. I could be wrong though.
The wire you saw should be for washer pump (#5), not for fluid level sensor (#3).

5470296.gif

⋯ I guess all in the name of cost costing in the very competitive US market so they try to remove costs where they can to keep up with Honda and Toyota, whereas in other markets it's not so competitive and Mazda can add those options but they also cost more, I think in some countries the CX-5 costs $50K USD, just look at adaptive headlights ALH vs AFS. US models use AFS.
I believe what Mazda did is "penny wise, pound foolish"! By spending much time creating different versions of parts to save money for different markets is a nightmare for manufacturing process and the actual cost could be even higher! For example by eliminating this tiny windshield washer fluid low level dash indicator which is available on all other competitors for US customers Mazda have to prepare two different reservoirs、two different wiring harnesses、and two different dash panels. You have to create two different assembly processes for workers. All in all it's only trying to save a penny for an indicator? Not to mention the frustration when Mazda customers found out there's no washer fluid to clean up the windshield but they didn't see low-fluid indicator they're getting used to see in all other vehicles they'd owned. This's not just one example but there're many more like this! I bet there're many thought if you have power driver's seat, you have memory seat. They got caught by surprise that after purchase, they couldn't find memory function on their top-of-line CX-5! Another example, on new 2nd-gen CX-9, people bought it suddenly found out the advertised 8-way power driver's seat which also featured in previous-gen CX-9, has only 6-way adjustments! They can't tilt the seat bottom anymore! Worse, the memory function now doesn't include memorizing position of outside rearview mirrors which used to have, and auto tilt-down during reverse function is gone too! Mazda's CEO Masamichi Kogai is fighting sliding sales in US market, and vowed to improve Mazda's customer retention rate from currently very poor 37% to 60% in 5 years! Kogai, this cost saving thing applying to every tiny detail is not the way to improve Mazda's retention rate in the US! US customers want quality、reliability、more features with low price! Zoom zoom along won't help you to reach your sales goal!

I understand Mazda is small and they have to watch their cost carefully. But Subaru is small too and they're doing much better in US market. They don't try to cut down the cost like Mazda's way. You can't cut down too many features and amenities especially those already available in all other competitors if Mazda wants to stay in the US market which is the largest auto market in the world.

Speaking about much higher price Mazda can charge in other countries, we've to remember higher prices are also applied to all other imported vehicles such as Toyota and Honda's in these countries as the high price is mainly caused by much higher duties and taxes. Mazda doesn't have any advantages for more profit because of the high price, hence this can't be a legit reason for them to add more features and options to Mazda vehicles in these markets. Mazda still have completions there from Toyota and Honda!

It's tough to see in the picture but it is just to the right of the brake indicator, and it does not light up when first starting the vehicle. It will light up in orange when you have a few ounces of washer fluid left in the tank. I didn't even think mine was equipped with this until it lit up. I always keep an extra gallon in the back anyways because even if you have the warning light, you're pretty much empty.
13645b441b63988e0a94623d4ba94a73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's tough to see in the picture but it is just to the right of the brake indicator, and it does not light up when first starting the vehicle. It will light up in orange when you have a few ounces of washer fluid left in the tank. I didn't even think mine was equipped with this until it lit up. I always keep an extra gallon in the back anyways because even if you have the warning light, you're pretty much empty.

Cyterio, what country are you located? Thanks for the picture, I can see windshield indicator like you said to the right of the brake indicator,

I'm in the US and mine doesn't have the windshield symbol like yours

Low Washer Fluid Level Warning Light

The indicator to the right of Brake Warning Light is Low Fuel Level Warning Light. It should light up during indicator check-up cycle when we turn the ignition on but I noticed that Mazda doesn't light up this Low Fuel Level Warning Light during check-up cycle for some reason.

attachment.php

The indicator to the right of Brake Warning Light is Low Fuel Level Warning Light. It should light up during indicator check-up cycle when we turn the ignition on but I noticed that Mazda doesn't light up this Low Fuel Level Warning Light during check-up cycle for some reason.

attachment.php

It's in between those two, it looks like a windshield with fluid shooting up the middle of it. Harder to see than the brake light and fuel cap light.

I have the type B cluster so the picture you posted is different than mine.

Cyterio, what country are you located? Thanks for the picture, I can see windshield indicator like you said to the right of the brake indicator,

I'm in the US and mine doesn't have the windshield symbol like yours
I believe cyterio's CX-5 is US version as he said US only "2016.5 GT" and his Brake Warning Light has "BRAKE" wording with graphic brake icon. International version CX-5 will have graphic brake icon only without "BRAKE" wording.

Nevertheless I have a hard time to orient the location of Brake Warning Light in cyterio's picture as the light should be outside of this round circular edge, not within.

I believe cyterio's CX-5 is US version as he said US only "2016.5 GT" and his Brake Warning Light has "BRAKE" wording with graphic brake icon. International version CX-5 will have graphic brake icon only without "BRAKE" wording.

Nevertheless I have a hard time to orient the location of Brake Warning Light in cyterio's picture as the light should be outside of this round circular edge, not within.

Yes, I'm in the US and my light is located within the speedometer cluster of the gauges. It would he in the lower-right portion of that gauge. I have the 2016.5 GT without the tech package.

It's in between those two, it looks like a windshield with fluid shooting up the middle of it. Harder to see than the brake light and fuel cap light.

I have the type B cluster so the picture you posted is different than mine.
Ha, I forgot GT without Tech uses Type B cluster like Sport and Touring. If there's any merit, the owner's manual does say, for Type B cluster only, Low Washer Fluid Level Warning Light "illuminates when the ignition is switched ON and turned off when the engine is started."

And Check Fuel Cap Warning Light? Never saw it either. The owner's manual also says, for Type B cluster only, Check Fuel Cap Warning Light "illuminates for a few seconds when the ignition is switched ON."

And you can't see these warning lights like the manual suggested!

Please snap a picture with Low Washer Fluid Level Warning Light and all other warning lights light up (ignition on) next time this warning light is on and post it here. I'm curious what the Type B cluster looks like with all warning lights. :)

So the conclusion for this matter is Low Washer Fluid Level Warning Light could only exist on CX-5's with Type B cluster! (yippy) (drinks)

It seems Type-A just places warning lights in the LCD display on the right side of gauge cluster. I still haven't looked on mine but it seems if light isn't there on mine it will show up as a warning on the LCD display.

EDIT:

Old post that stated a message showed up.

I think this is graphic that shows up:

am6zzn00001997.gif

Last edited:
My light came on on the first drive home from the dealer; they forgot to top it off. And it has the chain-like dipstick too.

Mine doesn't light up at start. The only time it lights up is when it's nearly empty.

ummmm y'all do realize that the coolant should NOT be at the Full line when the engine is cold, right? The coolant has to be able to expand into the overflow tank when it gets hot. Filling it to the Full line when cold could result in the overflow bottle, overflowing, when the system gets hot. As long as the coolant stays between the Low and Full marks at all times, it should be just fine.

Back