Audio settings for Bose system?

:
2016.5 Touring w/Tech
Had my CX-5 for just under a week now and I'm kinda surprised by how much I like the Bose system after all. I'm one of those who typically dislikes Bose with a passion and was expecting the worst (plus having read all the criticism of it in the reviews of the car itself).

Straight up, the bass is pretty boomy and the sound very front-heavy (coming from the dash), but I've adjusted it in a way that I find pretty pleasing - though quite a bit different from how I've typically set the EQ in my other cars.
I have the bass set right in the middle (0), with the treble around +3 or 4 (out of 6 iirc). Biggest change for me is having the fader set toward the back - about 2/3 of the way right of center on the slide control. I've never set a fader so far to the rear before, but that's how I like it here. It takes much of the boominess out of the bass and gives me a much better soundstage up front. It also really emphasizes the differences in some recordings. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz, and on some CDs the drums seem to come from the very back of the car while piano and horns come from the front. Strangely, other recordings have much less front-back "stereo" presence. Have yet to figure out exactly why - may have something to do with Bose's sound processing. I also prefer it all with Centerpoint turned off.

Was curious how others have EQ tweaked their stock Bose systems. I may replace the dash speakers eventually with what I've read about here - the Polks i believe - but I'm no longer in any hurry. Curious, too, if anyone's disconnected the center dash speaker so as to emphasize the stereo imaging? Or would that ruin it? Does anyone know if the center speaker is summed, processed, or EQ'd differently? Thanks!

I too have the fader set towards the back about 2/3 of the way. It REALLY opens up the sound stage, removes that front heavy sound, and gives a much more immersive experience. But it varies a lot from recording to recording.

Bass +4
Treble + 5
Fader set to rear bias approx - 1/2

I've been wondering what others have had it set too..

⋯ I also prefer it all with Centerpoint turned off.

Was curious how others have EQ tweaked their stock Bose systems. I may replace the dash speakers eventually with what I've read about here - the Polks i believe - but I'm no longer in any hurry. Curious, too, if anyone's disconnected the center dash speaker so as to emphasize the stereo imaging? Or would that ruin it? Does anyone know if the center speaker is summed, processed, or EQ'd differently? Thanks!
Like home theater surround sound system, Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound system is designed for movie watching, not for music listening. Many people have found the sound effect and quality are better with Centerpoint off when you listen to the music. The front center dash speaker is not that dominate when the Centerpoint is off. And judging by your current treble adjustment, I suggest you replacing front dash Bose speakers with coaxial Polk DB351 to help the high notes as Mazda eliminated 2 dash tweeters on CX-5 which are found on other Mazda CUVs.

After driving with this for a couple weeks now, I'm really liking the Bose stereo! I'm flabbergasted by some of the comments that the Bose is weak on bass. It may not be extremely deep, but I find it more than sufficient. I've had it set at either 0 or plus 1. What I find weak is the treble, but setting the EQ at plus 4 or so does it for me. Biggest impact on the soundstage is still setting the fader 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the rear. Sounds great to me in the driver's seat; have to wait to see if the kids in the back complain. Jury's still out on Centerpoint, but I've been running with it on for the last week and am liking it more and more as well. It really depends on the source, though. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz and rock, and much of it sounds fantastic - but it really depends on the recording. I'm very happy with the HD radio as well, but I'm fortunate because here in L.A. there are two dozen or more HD channels that come in.

That's funny that you've been using CenterPoint and liking it more and more. I was using it and liking it less and less. I decided that the system sounds way better with CenterPoint turned off, at least for me.

That strange delayed echo sounds very unnatural.

Last edited:
I've tried both on and off.... for me I leave it on... heck. Paid for that center speaker,I'm going to use it darn it... (2thumbs).

I feel that the sound is more even across the front with it on, I hear more sound coming just from the left and right side A pillars with it off, and it reminds me of old car stereos from the 80's.

My last car was a BMW with a HK 10 speaker system and it had a center speaker in the back you could turn on or off.. perhaps I'm use to the sound and that's why I'm okay with it...

Last edited:
For a few days I thought the Bose was absolute crap. Then adjusted fader to rear biased and it balanced out sound WAY better. It's not AMAZING sound but pretty decent for factory audio. It sounds about like I would expect. Needs some punch for sure and it sounds overprocessed (not sure if that's the term) like all factory radio systems.

Back