No control when there is a few inches of snow

stock all season tire will be very dangerous on snow or ice if not careful. There's no stock TOYO winter tires come with any CX-5

I have A-23 and in NJ. Over 2 years now deep snow/light snow/packed snow/slush and icy conditions here and there: I have had no issues with tires or grip. 1st. time encountered extreme slippage was 2-3 days back but its attributed to a freak event of nature and not me but tons of cars - suffered. Especially now that I have 5/32 depth remaining I feel Toyo A23 is definitely a good tire but with low trend life and a bit noisy. In terms of handling, wet / snow traction however its very decent in comparison to other all season tires.

Apparently, you have not experience a lot of other better all season tires out there.

Apparently, you have not experience a lot of other better all season tires out there.

Hey - I agree. All I wanted to say that OEM is isn't THAT bad. Its trend life is horrible. As for snow/ice a lot depends on driver I realized. I gone thru some tough snow and came out okay. As for excellent all seasons I have Defender in car #2 currently, had TrueContact in my previous car and before that Pirelli P4. If I am asked to compare I would say in terms of pure handling/agility Toyo is as good as the P4. But I don't drive like a maniac or very sprited. Trend life is awesome in defender but handling is a bit so-so. I really liked the Continentals as a balanced tire but in my case had bad trend life.
Only 1 car I drove for 8 months having Pirelli P0 (zero) I think but the tire was prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:
AWESOME VIDEO::::: Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvB3h85xSVw

The thing to watch - front tires locked up ; guess why?

The best part is the white truck around 1:07. He gets most of the way up and seems to have enough momentum to make it, but then inexplicably stops.

I got stuck in something like that a few years ago, late at night, with a worried wife who was 8.5 months pregnant. We made it 3/4 of the way up the hill, dodging sliding and stuck vehicles, but we were blocked near the top, stuck behind cars who refused to try descending the other side because everyone before them who tried it had crashed. The road surface had frozen slick just before the snow started and it was like an ice rink. We were stuck there not moving for ~2 hours, couldn't go up or down, because nobody would budge for fear of crashing. I got frustrated and started asking some of the other drivers "what are you going to do, just sit in your car idling all night and hope it thaws in the morning?" Eventually, a couple of cops walked up the hill and forced the people to move down/out of the way so they could get a salt truck through.

The best part is the white truck around 1:07. He gets most of the way up and seems to have enough momentum to make it, but then inexplicably stops.

I got stuck in something like that a few years ago, late at night, with a worried wife who was 8.5 months pregnant. We made it 3/4 of the way up the hill, dodging sliding and stuck vehicles, but we were blocked near the top, stuck behind cars who refused to try descending the other side because everyone before them who tried it had crashed. The road surface had frozen slick just before the snow started and it was like an ice rink. We were stuck there not moving for ~2 hours, couldn't go up or down, because nobody would budge for fear of crashing. I got frustrated and started asking some of the other drivers "what are you going to do, just sit in your car idling all night and hope it thaws in the morning?" Eventually, a couple of cops walked up the hill and forced the people to move down/out of the way so they could get a salt truck through.
This gave me serious shivers. What if water broke. Thank God you and your better half got out okay. The bad part is if the what if had happened: will the others move? Or still stay put? I guess we will never know.

It's all those folks on the Front Range who don't use snow tires cause they hardly ever need them. The Caddy made it up just fine. Tires are the key. But if you don't have snows mounted, and it's icy, try to stay off the road please.

You would NEVER see this on the Western Slope. Almost everybody there runs good winter tires.

I call BS on this post and I have Toyo Celcius Tires variable season tires with the snow flake system and no problems at all matter fact I was driving around jeep Cherokee that were stuck in the snow last week in New York

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/celsius-cuv-variable-conditions-tire-0

I was always interested in these tires. However - do have a few questions: 1. Is it all-season, i.e. can these tires work in summer 2. How noisy are these? 3. Any comments on ride quality and handling? 4. More importantly - I don't see a size for the CX5 19-in GT wheels or am I missing something?

It's all those folks on the Front Range who don't use snow tires cause they hardly ever need them. The Caddy made it up just fine. Tires are the key. But if you don't have snows mounted, and it's icy, try to stay off the road please.

You would NEVER see this on the Western Slope. Almost everybody there runs good winter tires.

You're not wrong regarding the front range. I don't need them, but that's because I do the bolded. It's usually melted after a day and then its weeks or months before the next big storm. We had one in October (melted next day), one in December around the holidays (melted enough in 1 day, melted fully on most roads by 2 days). Who knows when the next storm will hit. But it's just not often. And my typical winter drive is bone dry clear roads.

Last edited:
......and not a peep from the OP.

Well, this thread quickly filled up with snarky, condescending, and accusatory replies and very few helpful ones. If I was the OP, I wouldn't stick around either.

Well, this thread quickly filled up with snarky, condescending, and accusatory replies and very few helpful ones. If I was the OP, I wouldn't stick around either.

Eh, I think Anchorman is right on the money with this one:

I think somebody needs to check some of these IP addresses and see what’s going on. Another discontent Canadian that has joined to complain about a car that is generally praised for its abilities in poor weather. A big emphasis on DANGEROUS, hmmm.

Louis1 and Chef1 posting to complain about their CX-5's both from Montreal. Yeah ok....Not saying they can't be legitimate, but feels a bit suspect.

OP imo is either A) completely FOS likely with ill intent (and so deserving of snark/condescending remarks or B) senile in which case I'm sorry but 95/5 its likely the former

Or there is something broken or malfunctioning with OP's car.

I didn't think having two posters from Montreal was particularly suspicious. It's a big city with lots of Mazda CX-5s driving around it. Besides, if the OP was trying to spam the forum with fake problems using multiple accounts, they could have done a lot better job of it.

Or there is something broken or malfunctioning with OP's car.

I didn't think having two posters from Montreal was particularly suspicious. It's a big city with lots of Mazda CX-5s driving around it. Besides, if the OP was trying to spam the forum with fake problems using multiple accounts, they could have done a lot better job of it.

It's the usernames. I don't know, just smells a bit off to me.

But you're right, could be legitimate problems. Who knows. Plenty of helpful posts, guess we'll see if OP shows back up to say how it went.

Back