2018 CX-5 GT Rear Bumper Protection Strip Recommendations

dal524

:
CX-5 GT
Hi Everyone, I wanted to inquire if anyone has applied a rear bumper strip on any 2018 CX5 models other than the chrome option that mazda sells as an accessory (link attached). My vehicle is deep crystal blue mica and i have some nicks and scuffs on the rear bumper top that id like to cover up with one of these strips and to prevent future incidents.

However i was looking for one that is black or a darker color as i think the chrome one mazda sells stands out a bit too much and also doesnt cover enough area. Attached is one i found online but i notice it says it cant be used on vehicles with power lift gate. I've contacted the company to inquire about that restriction and am waiting to hear back. Just wanted to get your thoughts as well. Any recommendations are appreciated. Also the GT is the top of the line model in Canada, but i believe in the US it is referred to as the Grand Touring?

https://mazdashop.ca/products/rear-bumper-guard-mazda-cx-5-2017-2018

https://www.sportwing.com/RBP-005-Mazda-CX5-Rear-Bumper-Protector

Wondering how long one of these would last against the elements considering its only using 3m adhesive.

Not sure why they would say "Excludes models with power liftgate" as the liftgate doesn't touch it.

Wouldn't worry about the 3M adhesive not holding up to the cold temps or water. That's only if the adhesive is the true 3M material.

I had a custom strip of paint protection film installed on the rear bumper when my front end clear bra was installed.

Wouldn't worry about the 3M adhesive not holding up to the cold temps or water. That's only if the adhesive is the true 3M material.

And, in the event that the receiving surface is cold, it should be warmed up with either a hair dryer or heat gun before the tape touches it.

3M tape is absolutely fantastic. I keep several roles of it in varying widths at all times.

Check out Lamin-XProtective films, they have films for the tiny fog lights and a clear bumper protector. If you load stuff in the back you will definitely scratch that metal trim.

Check out Lamin-XProtective films, they have films for the tiny fog lights and a clear bumper protector. If you load stuff in the back you will definitely scratch that metal trim.

I*m gonna give this one a go. Will have to heat the garage up a bit to install but seems easy enough. Also cheap enough if I screw it up.

I recently bought a new 2018 GT and was deciding whether to add the OEM bumper strip or add PFF at the same time as the PPF installer added the film to the front parts of my vehicle. Now, my CX-5 is Titanium Flash Mica, also a darker color and I too was worried that all that chrome of the OEM bumper strip would be too shiny for the back of a darker vehicle. My last CX-5 was a silver color so it blended right in. BUT, the OEM strip is NOT shiny chrome but rather looks more like brushed nickel which will certainly show less of the scuffs(I hope). As my PPF installer pointed out, there is already 3 bits of chrome on the back...the CX-5 AWD logo on the left, the Mazda badge in the center and the Skyactive Technology logo on the right. We decided this was just enough current chrome to help the bumper strip blend in more easily. So I bit the bullet and had the OEM strip installed and love it. But alternatvely I would have installed some PPF as a minimum.

I recently bought a new 2018 GT and was deciding whether to add the OEM bumper strip or add PFF at the same time as the PPF installer added the film to the front parts of my vehicle. Now, my CX-5 is Titanium Flash Mica, also a darker color and I too was worried that all that chrome of the OEM bumper strip would be too shiny for the back of a darker vehicle. My last CX-5 was a silver color so it blended right in. BUT, the OEM strip is NOT shiny chrome but rather looks more like brushed nickel which will certainly show less of the scuffs(I hope). As my PPF installer pointed out, there is already 3 bits of chrome on the back...the CX-5 AWD logo on the left, the Mazda badge in the center and the Skyactive Technology logo on the right. We decided this was just enough current chrome to help the bumper strip blend in more easily. So I bit the bullet and had the OEM strip installed and love it. But alternatvely I would have installed some PPF as a minimum.

I have precut pieces of LaminX for top of bumper and door sills in garage, waiting for a little warmer weather to put on.

I have precut pieces of LaminX for top of bumper and door sills in garage, waiting for a little warmer weather to put on.

Yep, warm temps plus a very clean/clayed bumper top will be a must for your Laminix application.

Another option if you don't mind black color... is TrimBrite safety tread stick on tape. Should be able to find it at most auto stores. I know Pep-Boys and ADVANCED auto carry it.

Attachments

• trim-t1511-400.jpg
    trim-t1511-400.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 226

I had my PPF installer (just the front) do the film on the bumper. They charged me an extra $75 over and above the cost of doing the front. It seemed like a good deal. I have the Deep Blue Crystal Mica.

I had my PPF installer (just the front) do the film on the bumper. They charged me an extra $75 over and above the cost of doing the front. It seemed like a good deal. I have the Deep Blue Crystal Mica.

I think PPF on the top of the rear bumper is an excellent option. Deep Blue Crystal Mica....I love that color. It was my first choice when I wanted to update to a 2018 GT, BUT, it was sold a week before I was ready to trade. I opted for my second choice.....Titanium Flash Mica(a dark brown metallic color) which they had in stock.

Back