?? Accelerated warm up system fault

Mreed1988

:
Cx-5
Hi I have a 2015 mazda cx5. I have noticed that the accelerated warm up system has been intermittent since I brought the car in September but I understand it is all related to temperature of certain components. However the last few days with the change in temperature and the cold weather I would imagine that these would be the prime time that the AWS would kick in. Yet the past week it hasn't happen at all. This morning for instant was the coldest morning i have had so far with the car only reading 5 degree and the was no accelerated warm up when starting up the car. In turn I have noticed my fuel consumption has also been awful this past few days. My drive to and from work is 5 miles yet my fuel consumption has been dropping like 15 to 20 miles on these trips something that it isn't usually like. Could I have a fault with the AWS??? I did have a recall on the car where I had to have the soft ware up dated i could this have had an affect?

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'intermittent'? How does the system behave?

So sometimes when I start the car in the morning the accelerated warm up system work with Rpm up at 1500 and then on days like to day 5 degree outside and it turns on and dosnt go above 750rpm and runs colder for longer. Yet on a morning like today I would expect 5 degree outside it would work but didn't

So sometimes when I start the car in the morning the accelerated warm up system work with Rpm up at 1500 and then on days like to day 5 degree outside and it turns on and dosnt go above 750rpm and runs colder for longer. Yet on a morning like today I would expect 5 degree outside it would work but didn't
Yeah your suspicion is correct that your accelerated warm up system doesn't work consistently. Since you said your CX-5 just went through a "recall" which have updated some "software", this can be the reason which affects the AWS if the software update is related to ECM. In any event this problem is not easy to be diagnosed and the best chance to get it fixed is to go back to your Mazda dealer and tell them you suspect the previous software update could affect the AWS functioning. Make a video with rpm and outside temperature readings should help the dealer to understand the problem you're talking about.

BTW, what recall your CX-5 just went through?

Hi I'm afraid I cannot off the top of my head tell you what it was but it was to do with the software for the engine and the performance and noise and general running of the car. That's all I know. I'm at work currently I would have to try and find the letter to give you an accurate info. I'm just worried I'm going to get fobbed off with that there's nothing wrong as it's almost impossible to show them as the car is warmed up by the time I get to the garage. My other issue is I didn't buy through the local mazda dealer either which always makes it harder.

Hi I'm afraid I cannot off the top of my head tell you what it was but it was to do with the software for the engine and the performance and noise and general running of the car. That's all I know. I'm at work currently I would have to try and find the letter to give you an accurate info. I'm just worried I'm going to get fobbed off with that there's nothing wrong as it's almost impossible to show them as the car is warmed up by the time I get to the garage. My other issue is I didn't buy through the local mazda dealer either which always makes it harder.
I assume your 2015 CX-5 still has powertrain warranty. Any Mazda dealer should perform those warranty work even if you didn't buy the CX-5 there. Not sure where're you located, you can always contact Mazda Canada or Mazda North American Operations if the Mazda dealer is giving you a hard time on warranty work.

Depending on what kind of "recall" you performed, you should use the software update as the reason for the AWS problem you now have. You can take a video and show it to service advisor. Or for inconvenient way to leave the car there overnight. Not much you can do if you really want to get the problem fixed.

Yeah your suspicion is correct that your accelerated warm up system doesn't work consistently. Since you said your CX-5 just went through a "recall" which have updated some "software", this can be the reason which affects the AWS if the software update is related to ECM. In any event this problem is not easy to be diagnosed and the best chance to get it fixed is to go back to your Mazda dealer and tell them you suspect the previous software update could affect the AWS functioning. Make a video with rpm and outside temperature readings should help the dealer to understand the problem you're talking about.

BTW, what recall your CX-5 just went through?

This is a UK recall by the way not sure of that makes a difference? My partner has sent me the info on the letter it states - the powertrain control module need to be 're programmed and whilst in the garage they will install the latest improved engine calibration software - which will enhance the NVH / noise refinement and the characteristics of the engine it'self. What ever all that means.

This is a UK recall by the way not sure of that makes a difference? My partner has sent me the info on the letter it states - the powertrain control module need to be 're programmed and whilst in the garage they will install the latest improved engine calibration software - which will enhance the NVH / noise refinement and the characteristics of the engine it'self. What ever all that means.
So you're in UK and things could be entirely different. I assum your CX-5 is a petro 2.0L or 2.5L? We haven't seen such recall in the US. But if the recall is indeed related to powertrain control module, PCM or ECM, a software update definitely could affect the AWS. If I were you I'd definitely use this as an excuse to make Mazda dealer looking into the problem further no matter if the CX-5 is still having powertrain warranty or not. Contact Mazda UK if needed.

So you're in UK and things could be entirely different. I assum your CX-5 is a petro 2.0L or 2.5L? We haven't seen such recall in the US. But if the recall is indeed related to powertrain control module, PCM or ECM, a software update definitely could affect the AWS. If I were you I'd definitely use this as an excuse to make Mazda dealer looking into the problem further no matter if the CX-5 is still having powertrain warranty or not. Contact Mazda UK if needed.

Ok thanks will do. I will try and call them tomorrow and speak to someone about it. The issue is it hasn't really crossed my mind much as it has been quite mild here in the UK for October but this past few days it has been getting noticeably colder with the temperature in the morning around 10 degree lower, I have defiantly noticed it now as I have been expecting it to kick in and it hasn't been hence me starting this thread. The work on the recall was done pretty much a month ago so I hope they will still try and help me even though I didn't actually buy the car from them. I really cannot think why else this may suddenly not be working. The funny thing is I remember when I first got the car looking into why it rev'ed high on start up often when I first got the car. very strange.

oh and I also have a 2.2 diesel.

oh and I also have a 2.2 diesel.
My local dealer who carried out the recall have said it would be nothing to do with the software update. So I'm going to have to get it looked into. They are not sure at all as to why the car is doing this. :-(

Back