Mazda's 1'st Electric Vehicle - Looks like a CX-5

I agree with you but all I*m saying is, by the time EVs are mandated (2035 for Europe), things will have improved.

What happens in 2035 in Europe? Only vehicles sold will be EV's? Will people be required to get rid of existing ICE cars for EV's?

I've been to northern Germany a couple of times and have been amazed by the number of wind turbines, both land based and offshore. They are EVERYWHERE. I asked about the NIMBY culture that we see here and they said it's the same over there, but the government just pushes the approvals through, regardless of the complaining. Not like here, where a couple of complaints will bring a project to a screeching halt.........

I agree with you but all I*m saying is, by the time EVs are mandated (2035 for Europe), things will have improved.

I am with you and I am warming up to EV's if the other things come around. My regular commute is short so I would not even have to fully charge it ever so often and as you say a whole lot less maintenance in terms of oil changes (that I currently do at home and then have to take the waste oil back to the store). If the cost to purchase is reasonable, the vehicle doesn't look like a tree hugger's Dr. Suess dream and the range improves I would jump in as well. And I think those things are coming closer to happening. Almost all car manufacturers are putting more focus on EV's now. I think it will come around to being a great option.

My longest trips that only happen a couple times a year are only about 320 miles. If the car had a range of 500+ that would be great.

With that scenario, it might even make sense to buy electric and rent once a year.

In time to maintain a habitable environment on the planet and civilization as we know it.
In time to reverse the extinction that's already taking place.

Cars and C02 don't matter, there. It's food production, etc. that is the real issue, and noone wants to address it because it means limiting childbirth, or a war or plague to drop the planet's numbers to a sensible level. We are living wayyyyy in the red.

Cars and C02 don't matter, there. It's food production, etc. that is the real issue, and noone wants to address it because it means limiting childbirth, or a war or plague to drop the planet's numbers to a sensible level. We are living wayyyyy in the red.

It all matters. It's all interrelated. Far too many systems failing, beyond the point of no return.

You are right, the planetary population is unsustainable. But even if that could be mitigated, everything else would still be "wayyyy in the red", and no way to pay the bill.

Natural systems are failing now, and human systems won't be far behind. Far sooner than anyone dares to imagine.

That said, electric cars aren't going to "solve" anything, just slow it down just a bit. CO2 absolutely matters, but electric cars aren't going to address all of the other sources.

So drive what you like and enjoy yourself while you can!

Realistically, I think we are long overdue for a global war or a very bad plague. Nature always keeps things in check, one way or another.

She always has but she won't this time, because she is being beaten to a pulp.

This time really is different.

The planet will be fine eventually, but not before we're long gone. Then nature will recover without us.

"But we're still a'livin', so everything's OK!"

Realistically, I think we are long overdue for a global war or a very bad plague. Nature always keeps things in check, one way or another.

God/Nature has a plan for humans...but yeah if select humans are willing to comply with certain universal laws. Thou shall Zoom Zoom but though shall not commit 20mpgs combine average. SkyActiv is merely a product of Skynet to balance such "checks".

It all matters. It's all interrelated. Far too many systems failing, beyond the point of no return.

You are right, the planetary population is unsustainable. But even if that could be mitigated, everything else would still be "wayyyy in the red", and no way to pay the bill.

Natural systems are failing now, and human systems won't be far behind. Far sooner than anyone dares to imagine.

That said, electric cars aren't going to "solve" anything, just slow it down just a bit. CO2 absolutely matters, but electric cars aren't going to address all of the other sources.

So drive what you like and enjoy yourself while you can!

Exactly. I'm so jaded I hope I get to see the house of cards come down.

What happens in 2035 in Europe? Only vehicles sold will be EV's? Will people be required to get rid of existing ICE cars for EV's?

I think by then that existing ICE cars will have fallen to bits or be unworkable due to complexity, expense, lack of support from manufacturers and lack of oil and fuel (i.e. natural wastage). On the other hand I doubt that the politicians have thought that far ahead as the majority of them won't be alive to care anyway. They tend not to think about the detail when implementing policies. (I'm sorry it's such a cynical view, I prefer to call it realistic). 35 years in the UK Civil Service knocked out any optimism I once had.

Theyre an American company, making cars in America, built by Americans.

Thx in advance.

You might want to walk that back. Yes, they are American but Tesla is building and opening a HUGE Tesla factory in China (Gigafactory 3) to build Tesla's for the US market. The reason is simple. Tesla hasn't made a profit yet and in order to so, they have to start building cars in China.

Not disputing it, but why????? Most Asian car companies are developing US factories, presumably because the financial advantage of building in Asia has mostly disappeared. Musk seems to be bucking the trend. Now if he were building just a battery factory there, I'd better understand it.

You might want to walk that back. Yes, they are American but Tesla is building and opening a HUGE Tesla factory in China (Gigafactory 3) to build Tesla's for the US market. The reason is simple. Tesla hasn't made a profit yet and in order to so, they have to start building cars in China.

That sums it up. The biggest problem is not pollution but the human child birthrate. Humans are living longer and having more and more kids. Nature keeps itself in check and animal populations never really grow, they stay the same. It's humans that keep growing, consuming and remain unchecked.

It's a touchy subject. As things like Eugenics and population control (China) come into play. 1 billion humans on planet earth in 1800 and then 7 billion in 2012. This is even after WW2 took out 70 million people in just 6 years.

That sums it up. The biggest problem is not pollution but the human child birthrate. Humans are living longer and having more and more kids. Nature keeps itself in check and animal populations never really grow, they stay the same. It's humans that keep growing, consuming and remain unchecked.

It's a touchy subject. As things like Eugenics and population control (China) come into play. 1 billion humans on planet earth in 1800 and then 7 billion in 2012. This is even after WW2 took out 70 million people in just 6 years.

The ONLY thing that's allowed it are vaccines, advanced medicine, and aggressive genetics/agricultural industrialization...

...all things that people are beginning to rave against.

*popcorn...*

...while putting up a 13kW solar panel array, generator, and nurturing my flock of chickens down in the meadow by the river...

...oh...it's comin'!

Back