2014 CX-5 - plastic door cladding?

stw

Good afternoon. I hit something on the highway last night. Whatever it was kicked up on the bottom of the driver side door. It tore the plastic cladding off the bottom of the door. It looks like there is no other damage to the car. Usually, I would not attempt to do my own body work, but this looks like it could be a somewhat simple fix (famous last words). I do have a couple of questions. Where is a good place to order OEM parts like this? If I order a new one, that new black plastic piece is going to standout next to the older, faded cladding on the back door. Is it possible to match those colors somehow?

Thank you.

Here's a pic:

IMG_8497.jpg

Id try car-part.com. You can search all of the salvage yards in their network using the part number you need. Youll save a ton of money and likely find cladding with similar wear to match your other cladding.

I would order the part from your dealer. The part isn*t terribly expensive. As for it looking new versus the rear door, I wouldn*t worry about it. After a few months, you likely won*t be able to notice the difference.

Looking at the crash pictures makes me realize why the head rests are very forward in our cars. They are meant to bend back to absorb the energy so we won't bang the back of our head too hard. I wonder how much an auction wreck would cost. The cogs in my brain are saying buy a wreck, get a tire for a spare, then sell the wreck for the same price for a free full sized spare tire (thinkbeer

I*d try car-part.com. You can search all of the salvage yards in their network using the part number you need. You*ll save a ton of money and likely find cladding with similar wear to match your other cladding.

Really? Did you see the link I posted? $28 new and you'd "save a ton of money"?

Really? Did you see the link I posted? $28 new and you'd "save a ton of money"?

No, I didn't follow your link. It's not my problem so I didn't over analyze his. I was suggesting a cheap place to find a car part that was as worn as the existing cladding. I assumed the new cladding would be expensive but good job buddy, you proved me wrong.

It doesn't solve the OP's plastic wear problem so I thought a salvage part might work. Didn't feel like going down your rabbit hole, simply provided some advice. Happy holidays (rolleyes)

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestions.

Interesting thought, RedBaron. I assumed that I would do something to make the new part look older...not make the existing part look newer!

I took our other (non-Mazda) car into a dealership for a recall issue today...and that dealership happens to be right next to a Mazda dealer. I'm going to stop by Mazda to see what they say. I think Joe has a good point...it'll probably wear fairly quickly. And who knows, they might have a recently wrecked CX-5 which might have a better match.

Thanks again!

Back