Mounting a fire extinguisher

:
2018 CX-5 GT PP
A 2.5-lb ABC fire extinguisher is a worthwhile safety addition to any vehicle. For the CX-5, the cargo bay behind the driver-side rear tire is a good location. Has anyone mounted a bracket on the sidewall? It doesn't need to hold any weight since the extinguisher can sit on the floor. Just need a way to keep it upright and in place while driving.

FYI this size extinguisher only lasts 10 seconds. But that sure beats nothing.

Can't say I have ever needed a fire extinguisher in my car?!? Each to their own, though.
Knock on wood. [emoji2]

I have one mounted on my A pillar right next to me. +5 HP. (JK)

This is technically incorrect. Yes its +5HP but at the crank. If you want +5HP legit to the wheels you need to add a NOS sticker to the tank.

Mount it on your back bumper. Deploy it for a 10 sec jet assist.

And, it creates quite a bit of excitement when the "A" pillar air bag deploys. :)

Fire extinguishers are always a good idea. If you don't need one for yourself, you may be able to help someone else.

I have one mounted to each of my vehicles.

iUtt6AN.jpg

wGAx1Kg.jpg

Fire extinguishers are always a good idea. If you don't need one for yourself, you may be able to help someone else.

I have one mounted to each of my vehicles

Finally a non-dumbass reply. Lives can be saved in crashes you come upon. Wlidfires can be prevented. The $1.5 billion Carr Fire in California started from a flat tire creating sparks.

Bottom photo is closer to what I want but down and left near the tailgate.

Finally a non-dumbass reply. Lives can be saved in crashes you come upon. Wlidfires can be prevented. The $1.5 billion Carr Fire in California started from a flat tire creating sparks.

The reason I mounted the CX-5 extinguisher where I did is because the weight of it is resting on the wheel well. No pressure is being put on the mount itself.

Plus, it doesn't take up any space that is better used for cargo.

I didn't have that option with my MX-5 due to the trunk interior having less height.

Last edited:

s-l1600.jpg

^ Makes a great gift for dumbasses, dumbass relatives, and dumbasses in general. Plus adds 5 HP. Chicks, dudes, and 4 out of 5 cats dig it.

Finally a non-dumbass reply.
Plenty of 'non dumb ass' replies here. People crack jokes around here. Don't like it, maybe you're the problem, ya' cranky bastard. Geez... lighten up.

It should be able to hold the bracket without issue. The carpet-covered panel appears to be pretty firm. I'd mount the bracket using small bolts screwed into nuts behind the panel. I think you can also get smaller cargo nets for the areas behind the wheel wells as well.

That Element extinguisher is pretty cool.

Fire extinguisher is a good idea...I should get one.

Any problem just stashing it under a seat?

Back