2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I have had my CX 5 with Soul Red paint for 3 months and already have 5 chips. I went to the dealer and they said there is no warranty. Call customer service. I loked up yhis web site and will use it when I call tomorrow.

AFAIK paint chips are not covered.

If there is a paint defect or some sort or rust then it is a different matter and you should be able to get it fixed under warranty (happy to be corrected if this is incorrect)

Yeah, that company is the one most people with expensive vehicles (ie supercars, luxury cars, etc.) go with it seems. They're a popular choice in the Genesis forums, as well as with the BMW guys, and a couple of YouTubers that own Ferraris, McLarens, etc. use their products for chip repairs.

I've used their product for years.
The repair process is not quite as easy as their videos make it appear, but I've had good results on several cars (Mazda, Subaru, BMW, Porsche, Honda) over the years.
It's usually a "less than one foot" repair ... not noticeable unless you're inspecting closely.

Oh ... and the paint chips on ALL of the vehicles ... including the expensive German cars. :(

Used my kit from Chip Fixx the other day when we had a mild spell. Worked extremely well, and you have to get within claybar working distance to see most of the chips now. Really impressed with how it turned out, and how close a match the color is. I had to rub some back out and reapply with a different stroke direction to get it to not reflect weird, but that's typical of high metallic/pearl paints, they rarely ever lay on the same as the original paint. It was super easy to apply and finish though, so it wasn't difficult taking the paint off and putting it back on within say and hour time period. They even supply a "cleaner" of sorts that lifts the touch-up super easy and cleans the area of grease and dirt.

Same here. A paint chip on the hood of my 2017 Pearl White Mica. Less than 6000 miles on the damn thing. I care more for it than for my own body. Car is always in pristine condition, no tail gating, never heard any rocks bounce off my car on the freeway or any street. When I first noticed the chip I was furious. I'm starting to think there's a problem here.

Oh dear oh dear.

First it was faulty red now white is disintegrating.

That’s blown a few myths out of the water.

Oh dear oh dear.

That’s blown a few myths out of the water.

Just confirmed what has been said in OZ - Mazda paints are one of the thinnest out there

Just confirmed what has been said in OZ - Mazda paints are one of the thinnest out there

I think that could be conjecture and even if it were true, who says that thin paint chips easier than thicker paint. I’m not an expert on the subject but I would say it’s down to how brittle it is and how well it’s adhered to the parent metal and I’ve got no doubts that Mazda apply the paint to a very high standard and exactly as the paint supplier recommends. Mines got a few chips on at 6 months old and the notion that every one of them isn’t due to being struck doesn’t even register with me. Paint doesn’t just chip off - end of.

I think that could be conjecture and even if it were true, who says that thin paint chips easier than thicker paint. I’m not an expert on the subject but I would say it’s down to how brittle it is and how well it’s adhered to the parent metal and I’ve got no doubts that Mazda apply the paint to a very high standard and exactly as the paint supplier recommends. Mines got a few chips on at 6 months old and the notion that every one of them isn’t due to being struck doesn’t even register with me. Paint doesn’t just chip off - end of.
I've read somewhere that is actually thin. Can't remember the exact micron number though

Defiantly compared to Audi, I recon the lacquer alone was a thick as the paint on any of the jap cars I've had, but none of them were Lexus or infinity.

I've read somewhere that is actually thin. Can't remember the exact micron number though

Defiantly compared to Audi, I recon the lacquer alone was a thick as the paint on any of the jap cars I've had, but none of them were Lexus or infinity.

There are owners here complaing about it and not just on a CX-5

Everyone is switching to water based paints to satisfy the regulations. I think this has a lot to do with it. I have read though in some auto detail forums that the paint is thicker on German cars.

I haven’t owned a car yet that didn’t chip.

Oh dear oh dear.

Thats blown a few myths out of the water.

One chip on a white car with 6K miles on it is not really blowing this out of the water. I have 16+ chips with 8500 miles on my Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I fully believe something is not right with this color.

One chip on a white car with 6K miles on it is not really blowing this out of the water. I have 16+ chips with 8500 miles on my Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I fully believe something is not right with this color.

At a certain point, the amount of chips become unreasonable. I Have about 8 chips on my hood now, with 5,000 miles. For comparison, I put 160,000 miles on my 2005 Jeep liberty, with 0 chips on the hood. Absolutely there is not doubt that this is a quality issue.

We purchases our Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 in June. We believe the paint may be defective. The car has several paint chips in it. At first, we thought we just had the misfortune of getting some stone chips. We contacted the dealership when there were only three paint chips. We were told that the touch up paint was not yet available. The dealership did not feel there was a defect in the paint. We now have at least 10 small chips in the paint. Is anyone else having this problem?

When I clicked on this thread, the post in my head, no lie, was "That's a BEAUTIFUL color, but it looks like it will go down-hill fast/wear badly/have issues." Irony. Also, chips on that color probably look absolutely horrible. THe only way to own that car properly is to wrap the hood, front fenders, and roof and mirrors, at a MINIMUM.

Back