Any advantage of getting AWD over FWD in a city like Atlanta?

Exactly what I meant. The majority of hikes I do usually requires to drive on dirt/gravel roads. Here's the one I did last week:.

Yep, exactly. And when I lived in the mountains, I lived off of a dirt road with a steep dirt driveway that got gnarly in many winters.

So yeah...off-roading doesn't mean Jeep trails necessarily. :)

The AWD has deeper gearing. More real-world torque at the same speeds going up hills and on the freeway in 6th, as it were. Also, the AWD is amazing in the rain and when you pull out rapidly into traffic from side streets, especially those that have some gravel in the depressions where the streets join...and the front tires sit. if you live in sleepyville, it doesn't matter, but if you live in a place like I do...it can get you hit vs. you pulling out into traffic safely.

You've never had an AWD car have you?

No need. I can't, seriously, think of a single time it would have made a difference in my life. Sure, every once in awhile I've slipped at the bottom of a gravel road, in a RWD, but it's not like I wound up walking where the car wouldn't go. My worst nemesis is actually crosswalk paint in the CX5. Since the Mazda AWD is not always on, I'm pretty sure those minor slips would still have happened but I'm not a AWD expert so I could be wrong.

The idea that it matters significantly in the rain, begs the question of driving safety, not the AWD. It doesn't help you stop. If it's wet, maybe the answer is to drive slower, not spend $1,300. She lives in Atlanta, I live in California, which had drought conditions until this year. The need simply isn't there. For me, as a single guy, it's a compromise between a lot of things, but if I was going off-roading I think I'd be looking at a different vehicle.

Your mileage may vary, location, lifestyle, etc., not withstanding, but I almost feel like we're entering into the realm of 3.000 mile oil changes.

No need. I can't, seriously, think of a single time it would have made a difference in my life. Sure, every once in awhile I've slipped at the bottom of a gravel road, in a RWD, but it's not like I wound up walking where the car wouldn't go. My worst nemesis is actually crosswalk paint in the CX5. Since the Mazda AWD is not always on, I'm pretty sure those minor slips would still have happened but I'm not a AWD expert so I could be wrong.

The idea that it matters significantly in the rain, begs the question of driving safety, not the AWD. It doesn't help you stop. If it's wet, maybe the answer is to drive slower, not spend $1,300. She lives in Atlanta, I live in California, which had drought conditions until this year. The need simply isn't there. For me, as a single guy, it's a compromise between a lot of things, but if I was going off-roading I think I'd be looking at a different vehicle.

Your mileage may vary, location, lifestyle, etc., not withstanding, but I almost feel like we're entering into the realm of 3.000 mile oil changes.

LOL, you sound like I did before I bought my Grand Jeep Cherokee. I had driven all sorts of vehicles, from a 505hp Z06, to a 150ish hp G20, and who needs AWD? Right? Man...at this point, I'm AWD or nothing. You just don't have a clue because you don't know what you don't know. I was the same way, so no judgement, but seriously...get the AWD.

LOL, you sound like I did before I bought my Grand Jeep Cherokee. I had driven all sorts of vehicles, from a 505hp Z06, to a 150ish hp G20, and who needs AWD? Right? Man...at this point, I'm AWD or nothing. You just don't have a clue because you don't know what you don't know. I was the same way, so no judgement, but seriously...get the AWD.

My thoughts exactly, and that's why I said what I said.

Dang this thread filled up quickly. Get the AWD.. mpg difference isn't even much but you're going to get better performance everywhere else.. better cornering, better grip when accelerating from a stop on any surface (esp rain/snow), and at high RPM's/high rpm shift less chance of DSC tripping (which pulls power) because of a slipping tire, more accuracy during a power on turn (i.e an intersection, highway cornering), less oversteer when power on turning, live rear axle... failWD is just lame man. After you drive an awd car, and then get into a fwd car, your gonna notice it. And your resale will be higher too. The most basic of basic crap cars only come in FWD for a reason..

Yeah I'm trying to get a hold of a Gray GT AWD with premium package but they have to trade with other dealer and it's about 200 miles. Personally I don't care about the 200 (I'll put that on in a week or so). But what about rock chips from the transfer? How is that handled?

BTW appreciate all your feedback and help with decision!

Last edited:
I'll move on. You guys win, I'll toss $1.300 out of my wallet because you said so, the next time I back out of the driveway in either snow or ice.

Last edited:
I'll move on. You guys win, I'll toss $1.300 out of my wallet because you said so, the next time I back out in either snow or ice.

Snow and ice. Lol you obviously know nothing about AWD considering that's all you continue to bring up. Comical.

Yeah I'm trying to get a hold of a Gray GT AWD with premium package but they have to trade with other dealer and it's about 200 miles. Personally I don't care about the 200 (I'll put that on in a week or so). But what about rock chips from the transfer? How is that handled?

200 miles, that's it? I'd drive to that dealer and take delivery myself, all while solidifying a better deal at that dealer...

Snow and ice. Lol you obviously know nothing about AWD considering that's all you continue to bring up. Comical.

Enlighten me then. Point me to something convincing on the topic. Find me a professional tome not written by a random poster or car manufacturer trying to sell it.

Last edited:
BTW off topic but this was my first Mazda!
3754668749_a1e641fe9b_b.jpg

Man I can't believe how small it was.

Enlighten me then. Point me to something convincing on the topic. Find me a professional tome not written by a random poster or car manufacturer trying to sell it.

Convincing. Come take a ride with me. No written words needed. All I ask is you clean your seat when we are done...

BTW appreciate all your feedback and help with decision!
Rock chips? How fragile do you think they are? LOL. 5,000 miles here, no rock chips. I'm sure the dealer will fix anything that may go wrong. We had our Volvo driven 2 hours to us and it was still pristine.

Well, op made his choice, and that's cool.

I agree with agree with quail, though. I think some of you may be putting a bit too much faith in AWD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I live right OTP and have the 2017 AWD GT w/ Premium Package. Don't regret it for a second. I plan on moving back up to New England in the next few years, so AWD (which I didn't set out for) is an added bonus. You never know if you may leave ATL and need it!

If it weren't for snow here in the winter and we weren't forced into AWD with the Canadian packaging, it would've been FWD for us. Sure it will obviously help in the snow, but it is by no means absolutely necessary. Basic AWD (i.e. non torque-vectoring) will absolutely help get you going in any reduced traction situation but it does nothing for cornering or stopping ability. Proper tires make a much more significant difference there.

If you're in a climate that doesn't get snow, you will only reap the benefits of AWD if you regularly take yourself off of maintained roads. Loose gravel, dirt, sand, wet / hilly grass, etc. If you don't expose yourself to these situations you may better off treating yourself to an extra option package or trim upgrade in lieu of the AWD. Or maybe some accessories, or simply saving your pennies.

As much as there are benefits to AWD, there are benefits to FWD as well.

- Lower up front cost
- Lower fuel consumption. Even if marginal it's something. The car is 99% FWD unless it senses slip, but the car is always working to pull the extra rolling resistance caused by having the AWD hardware onboard.
- Lower maintenance costs (no transfer case / diff fluids to change)
- Less stuff to potentially breakdown the road (no transfer case, drive shaft, rear diff, rear axle shafts).
- If you have mildly to moderately worn tires and get a flat that can't be repaired you don't have to replace all 4 if your tread depth differential is outside of allowable specifications, you can replace 2 instead. (lets ignore tire shaving for now, as it will only increase the cost of replacing 1 tire to meet the tread depth of the others and you will be paying over full price for a tire that will have reduce life out of the gate)

Downsides of not having AWD if you're not regularly exposed to reduced traction situations:
- Pretty much none in reasonable everyday driving
- There's no AWD badge on the rear

Of course, NONE of that matters if you simply want AWD. If you want it, get it, enjoy your car. Simple as that.

One valuable lesson I've learned over the years is that a car is a significant purchase. You want to make sure you're 100% happy with your decision when you take delivery, 1 year later, 6 years later (if you're a keeper). You don't want to lie to yourself / try to justify not getting something just to save a few bucks at purchase then regret it down the road. It will cost you more money if you end up selling / trading early because you didn't get that feature. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Back